superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonStrange Visitor!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 05:11:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The most SHOCKING Superman moments?  (Read 11820 times)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2007, 09:23:15 PM »

Back in the old 10, 12 and 15 cents days, the stories were short and the challenge on the writers was pretty great.  I was always bugged by how Superman could fall in love like a rock fell on him as long as the relationship never had a long term chance.  He fell in love with Lyla Lerroll instantly, and then fell in love with her android duplicate even faster (even ripping up pictures of Lois and Lana in front of her).

This story bothered me a lot:

http://superman.nu/wiki/index.php/Amnesia_Machine

Superman became so obsessed with "dicovering" Batman and Robin's identity after a mind wipe that he neglected his own job (sulking while warnings of a disaster came over emergency broadcast channels) and it was up to Batman to make sure that Superman succeeded so that he could get over his mental flaw.
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2007, 09:49:55 PM »

The funny thing is, I don't think these moments are necessarily all that bad an idea, as they give Superman such a concrete personality.

I agree with you: there's a clear appeal to seeing Superman as a fallible character, even one bordering on the psychotic. His world and situation are completely insane, when you think of it. He is a serial liar who spends half his time pretending to be someone else, he is secretive to a degree that might be diagnosed as paranoid, or at the very least severely depressed. It's almost reassuring to see him fail in these ways.

What's interesting, though, especially in the 1950s stories, is the fact that just about everyone behaves in this way, as if the entire world were bipolar (which, in some ways, it was back then). Lois goes to extraordinary lengths to weasel out Superman's secrets, Perry wants impossible stories, Jimmy hoards Superman memorabilia. The general public is frequently portrayed as craven, money-driven and emotionally stunted - I remember a story in which some inventor perfects a machine that erases people's memories (I thought at first it was the one referred to by MatterEaterLad above, but it's not that one), and people go mad for it, everyone having guilt or grief that they want rubbed out.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
MBE
Superman Fan

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 05:08:56 AM »

Lois and Clark having sex in that 1976 Xavier story (ok so the more explicit implications were cut out but still. Jimmy almost killing Superman when he thinks he killed Clark Kent in a 1967 story.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 11:12:55 AM by MBE » Logged
Genis Vell
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2007, 08:13:19 AM »

- Superman kills the 3 Kryptonians. Then I iscovered that he killed in the Golden Age, so the impact of that event diminuished.

- The Toyman kills the Toyman II.

- Blaze kills Jerry White.

- WORST OF THE WORST:

The Toyman kills children cutting their throats.

Captain Marvel - Italian Earth-Prime Superman

...it'll be a job for Superman!
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2007, 09:26:20 PM »

Seeing the Toyman in S:TAS the first time kinda shocked me.

MBE
Superman Fan

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2007, 11:14:28 AM »

The post Crisis Superman has a lot of gore. Even MXYZPTLK kills by the late 80s.
crispy snax
Superman Family

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2007, 12:20:45 PM »

sometimes writers get in their heads that mxy will make a "cool villian" and give us stories where he turns evil... i dont like these stories as they break the character, it was ok in alan moores "whatever..." but that was because it was supposed to be the "final" story and so it couldnt really be developed on. after you get past the shock that this loveable character has gone bad you have just got another nasty all powerful villain on your hands

the last thing modern comics needs is another nasty all powerful villain

mxy should stay as comic relief i think, a filler character

that said, i like how more recent comics have portrayed mxy as a nostalgic character who views superman as a friend, which just confuses superman because he doesnt remember most of their battles
leandar
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2007, 07:43:35 AM »

...mxy should stay as comic relief i think, a filler character...

I agree.  Mxyzptlk works great as a prankster and practical joker, but I can't see it as believable that he would take a life on his own.  No incarnation of Mxyzptlk that I've ever seen, in the comics, and on TV and such, have ever shown him to be a murderer. 

http://www.starwarsandbeyond.com

Superman Returns - The REAL Superman III!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L