superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:23:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Captain America: Murdered  (Read 26758 times)
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« on: March 07, 2007, 03:48:57 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/books/03/07/captain.america/index.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/story/503132p-424376c.html

"Comic book deaths, however, are rarely final. Marvel's archrival, DC Comics, provoked a media frenzy when it killed off Superman in 1993, only to reanimate its prize creation a year later.

Joe Quesada, 43, Marvel Entertainment's editor in chief, said he wouldn't rule out the shield-throwing champion's eventual return. But for now, the Captain's fans are in mourning." NYDailyNews.com

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
VanZee
Supermen of America

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 04:34:50 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/books/03/07/captain.america/index.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/story/503132p-424376c.html

"Comic book deaths, however, are rarely final. Marvel's archrival, DC Comics, provoked a media frenzy when it killed off Superman in 1993, only to reanimate its prize creation a year later.

Joe Quesada, 43, Marvel Entertainment's editor in chief, said he wouldn't rule out the shield-throwing champion's eventual return. But for now, the Captain's fans are in mourning." NYDailyNews.com

Well, actually Marvel already gunned him down: http://www.beaucoupkevin.com/2007/02/marvel-comics-in-insulting-readers.html

An amazing celebration of everything vapid and shallow and lurid about pop culture, at the sacrifice of one of the great icons of something lasting and meaningful.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 05:21:14 PM »

Indeed.  From what I've seen of it, Marvel already killed off Cap in every way that matters with "Civil War." Now they're just stopping his heartbeat, too.

Until he comes back, of course. 

Hard to believe this kind of thing still makes the news.  Or maybe not, given the state of modern media.

This looks like a job for...
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 08:17:03 PM »

Typical cheap shocktactics under the tired and pretentious "post-9/11 world" banner.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 11:03:49 PM »

Whoa, whoa, whoa, hold up. You mean to say Captain America may not be 100% relevant?  Wink What a totally new and heretofore unknown problem and situation that I never before realized!

Seriously, all sarcasm aside...man, people have been saying Cap is old school since the FIFTIES. In fact, there's an argument that says the only time Cap was even vaguely relevant was the forties.

This is why Steve Englehart wrote the "Man Without a Country" run when he did: because Cap was embarassingly unhip even in 1970-whenever-it-was, and having Cap lose faith in America was something that made him sympathetic and relevant. It's amazing how well the Englehart CAPTAIN AMERICA AND THE FALCON run has aged (unlike the Kirby Cap run that followed it, but that's another story), even despite the fact that the context that it happened in was Watergate and the Nixon presidency: because by making Captain America someone that payed attention to what was going on around him, he transcended his origin as a flag-waiving character into someone that is much more complicated and about American ideals vs. their real-world execution.

This was the Englehart Cap that fought the Squadron Supreme for being tools of the powerful, business/government interests that rule Squadron-Earth.

"You have your definition of a hero, and I've got mine...and mine involves being more aware!"

In other words, Englehart saved Cap from the fate that MIGHTY THOR eventually suffered: condemned to being a Marvel property that only the original creators in the original context ever really got, who keeps on being published, but whose soul disappeared sometime in the late seventies.

It's funny: Englehart made Superman a conservative and Captain America a liberal, and both characterizations worked out well.

The really frustrating thing about this news is that it reflects a really corrupt, overkill mentality: killing a character off because writers can't think of what to do with them at the moment. Considering the way the post-CIVIL WAR Marvel comics are looking, with EVERYBODY being pro-Registration and every state having a superteam, Steve Rogers, who would NEVER sign up, doesn't "fit in." So, what to do?

I've seen enough deaths, yes, even shock-value deaths (shock value can be effective...if it is shocking enough) that have been done well, that I can see the value of it as a technique. The great thing about the Legion of Super-Heroes is you can kill them left and right.

But because cynicism is what it is, people aren't killed off anymore in order to spike sales. People are killed off to create excitement for when they eventually will RETURN.

Marvel's gotten more thrills out of comics fans by teasing us with Thor's possible return than they ever have with Thor alive and well. I can see the same done with Steve: just throw a star-shield on the cover of an issue of IRON MAN and just watch the sales spike.

To an extent, I don't entirely mind this. You'd better believe now Hal Jordan's back, people aren't going to take him for granted for a WHILE.

And speaking of Cap's return...when will that be, and how?

Five gets you ten its going to somehow involve Arnim Zola. (Yes, I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is.)

Don't forget Red Skull having a Captain America clone body since the Gruenwald years! You'd better believe that'll come into play. And then there's Vance Astrovik having Cap's shield in the GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY years...those that say Cap's return is just a matter of time may be more right than they know.  Wink

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 11:24:09 PM »

It seems that Marvel is still stuck in the Iron Age.

I stopped caring about them a long, long, LONG time ago. So oh well...

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 04:19:18 AM »

It seems that Marvel is still stuck in the Iron Age.

I stopped caring about them a long, long, LONG time ago. So oh well...

I still don't believe DC is out of it yet. They've just cranked it up another notch.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
crispy snax
Superman Family

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 08:27:15 AM »

yup, dc is in the iron age, its just waving its hands about dishing out tastes of bronze age ideals in hope that we wont realise that its still the same shock tactic using, gore glorifying, continuity scrutinising iron age...

still, we get more pre crisis reprints! so its not all bad

and yeah, id have to say the idea of captain america didnt really work past WWII

(not ALL modern comics are bad... try ABC! or anything by johnen vasquez (cant spell his name, popular with goths))
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 08:34:01 AM by crispy snax » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L