superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:36:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman/Doomsday DVD 9.18.2007  (Read 32564 times)
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2007, 04:46:53 PM »

The reason why I am avoiding this DVD like the plague is because I really, really hated this storyline and Doomday is a terrible character.

Grruh... Brruh... Kill... Like you, I hated this. This is the best idea they could come up with for Superman's death? A slugfest? It was made doubly stupid by the fact that Superman was accompanied by all sorts of other heroes, none of whom figured out that you could actually pick Doomsday up (like if you had a POWER RING, SAY) and throw him into space. I may have said this before, but if they actually wanted to do a Death-of-Superman story, it would have been a lot cooler to have it done quietly in a back alley: tchoo! tchoo! two Kryptonite bullets from a silenced gun, and then Batman could have investigated.

It occurs to me that I'm a sort of armchair scriptwriter, or even backseat driver, when it comes to this sort of thing. I offer no apology.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2007, 04:12:06 AM »

... It was made doubly stupid by the fact that Superman was accompanied by all sorts of other heroes, none of whom figured out that you could actually pick Doomsday up (like if you had a POWER RING, SAY) and throw him into space.

Nono, you don't get it.  Doomsday is too strong, so that wouldn't work.  You can't throw him into space, you can't transport him to another dimension, you can't even put him in the Phantom Zone.  He's just too strong.  Got it?

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2007, 06:05:56 AM »

... It was made doubly stupid by the fact that Superman was accompanied by all sorts of other heroes, none of whom figured out that you could actually pick Doomsday up (like if you had a POWER RING, SAY) and throw him into space.

Nono, you don't get it.  Doomsday is too strong, so that wouldn't work.  You can't throw him into space, you can't transport him to another dimension, you can't even put him in the Phantom Zone.  He's just too strong.  Got it?

Supes tried to put him in orbit and got a nasty side wound for his trouble. The creature wasn't just strong, it was also just as fast as Superman was. C'mon, the Byrned Supes wasn't exactly good at fighting those who were just as strong/fast as he was. He got his butt handed to him by an intoxicated Lobo and almost got choked to death by an inexperienced Lar Gand.

The Byrned Supes didn't have access to a Phantom Zone projector until the Loeb crew came onboard IIRC.

And the variation of the JL that accompanied him? They were a sad sack of incompotent lightweights.

As for a power ring, that might have worked if Guy Gardner wasn't a moron.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2007, 11:56:47 AM »

Plus that version of superman was pretty weak.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2007, 03:41:07 AM »

I may have said this before, but if they actually wanted to do a Death-of-Superman story, it would have been a lot cooler to have it done quietly in a back alley: tchoo! tchoo! two Kryptonite bullets from a silenced gun, and then Batman could have investigated.
You're talking Iron Age writing teams.  The dead body shot with k-bullets would end up being a clone, while the real Superman was tied up elsewhere being a conflicted wimp.  Batman, the obvious gun-toting perpetrator, was acquitted of all charges because he's "the goddamn Batman".

Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2007, 05:48:44 PM »

Lenticular Cover Shots

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=7457

Again, here's hoping Superman Doomsday is the first of many DC animated movies on the way.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 08:29:16 PM by Michel Weisnor » Logged

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Criadoman
Superman Family

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2007, 05:53:04 AM »

Yes yes yes - more straight to DVD animated stuff from DC!  (That Marvel stuff is kinda sexy - it'd be nice to see DC break out some classic stuff - barring the death of Jason Todd that is).

Fine, I personally hated the Doomsday thing, but come on guys, Funeral for a Friend was the BEST Superman death story set I've read!  It was touching and absolutely lovely, and a good face slapper for those who thought Superman was irrelevant.  Some real gold in those stories.

"If I print "She was stark naked"--& then proceeded to describe her person in detail, what critic would not howl?--but the artist does this & all ages gather around & look & talk & point." - Mark Twain
maggiethecat
Superman Fan

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2007, 04:22:26 PM »

Okay, I am a bit slow.  I just found the trailer today and am excited. I know that some of you think Doomsday is a lousy character, but I've always loved the story line! They obviously can't stick to the comics completely because... well, it's a 75 minute movie.  Maybe I have just suffered from too many years in Germany- a country that couldn't care much less about Superman- that I am jonzing for anything Supes! I am definately buying the DVD... Grin
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L