superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonSupermanicaHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:20:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The earth of "Superman VS Wonder Woman.  (Read 18648 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007, 12:02:33 AM »

I haven't read it in ages and I do not own it, so maybe it was Earth-2.

How come it is not Canon for the Supermanica, btw?

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
carmelo
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2007, 03:03:36 AM »

I don't -think- the Spear of Destiny factored into the Superman vs. WW book, but it's been forever since I've read it.  Baron Blitzkrieg (first introduced as an Earth-2 character) and the samurai dude were the villain enemies, and this was around the time that Lynda Carter WW was in the 1940s.  I think the intent was that it was Earth 2 or at least "not Earth 1".

But if is earth 2 why the newspaper of Clark is the planet and not the star,the editor is Perry and not George Taylor,and the logo is the "S" of earth-1 ?
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2007, 03:49:51 AM »

I sometimes wonder if Gardner Fox rolls over and moans at how seriously later writers took Earth 2 to the pont of introducing hard rules on the Superman "S", the name of the newspaper and editor, or the fact that Earth 1 was "larger" than "real" Earth to accomodate extra cities.  I tend to think he just wanted a fun way of looking at the Golden Age.
crispy snax
Superman Family

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 07:56:29 AM »

well thats the thing, to the earliest creators, this was just a way to make a quick buck till they write the "great american novel" (a reason why pseudonyms are so common) and while they use plot devices like alternate relaties and cities in a merry de do kinda way just to get a story, the fans who read this treat it as a fantasy world, and fans grow up to be writers, and its not gonna be long before they start filling in the gaps like "why no one recognises superman"

S.T.A.R. labs was one o those sort things
jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2007, 09:23:46 AM »

This article on Fanwank from Wikipedia is interesting,  they cite trying to explain Sherlock Holmes inconsistencies as the earliest example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanwank

TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2007, 11:16:27 AM »

Fanwank is how I will now describe superhero comics since 1970.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2007, 02:47:46 PM »

>>But if is earth 2 why the newspaper of Clark is the planet and not the star,the editor is Perry and not George Taylor,and the logo is the "S" of earth-1 ?<<

Well, in the 70s/80s Earth-2 comics, there was an Earth-2 Perry White (usually shown as a fellow reporter to Clark IIRC). Maybe he was filling in as editor (or was also an assistant editor) at the Star? As for the name of the paper, maybe they published both the Star and the Planet in the 40's, with the Star as the more dominant of the two papers and the Planet eventually shut down for whatever reason (similar to the way Indianapolis had until recently the Indianapolis Star and the Indianapolis News---one a morning paper, one an evening paper, with the News eventually shut down 5-6 years ago)?

Yeah, the above's "fanwank" to cover for (Earth-2-wise) a "mistake". But it was fun... ;-)

jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2007, 08:52:15 PM »

I do hope no one thought I posted that Fanwank link to be any sort of put-down.

Personally, I find the explanations fascinating .

My favorite, explaining why in Star Trek IV, no one on then-current earth recognized any of them as being from Star Trek......was that in City On The Edge of Forever, the bum in the alley who overloads McCoy's phaser and dies, was a father who had hit a rough patch in life, and didn't die in OUR continuity (the one where Star Trek is a TV show), but since McCoy's presence messed with the timeline, he DID die, causing his son, raised without the stabilizing influence of a father, to turn to crime and ultimately gun down a policeman named Gene Roddenberry in the 1950's
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L