superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GETTING AFFAIRS IN ORDER!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:48:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: most ridculous aspect of weisenger era superman?  (Read 24848 times)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2007, 03:43:54 PM »

Pat Boone is one of my favorite short entries at Supermanica...

http://superman.nu/wiki/index.php/Pat_Boone

And I don't know, Don Rickles or Muhammad Ali aren't that more serious.
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2007, 03:34:16 AM »

>>Streaky the Supercat

If it was his idea, he should be brought up for war crimes.

And even the best Streaky story, "Revolt of the Super-Pets," was by Jim Shooter, where Streaky actually had a personality: vain, interested in creature comforts, and prestige.

...and what IS Streaky's gender, anyway?
<<

Streaky was a male---presumably confirmed in the TV "Krypto the Superdog" cartoon, which features Streaky in most episodes (where he acts somewhat as described above, but has some of the best lines on the show...).

Yeah, so I like the cartoon. :-)

crispy snax
Superman Family

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2007, 12:12:48 PM »

Oh,you are severe."Love letter in the sand" is not bad. Grin But i agree that in late 50s-early 60s were many guys betters that Pat Boone....Neil Sedaka and Paul Anka for example.  Wink  Seriously,when we talk about Weisenger era stories and theirs ridiculous aspect we forget the most important thing: how many years had the readers of Superman in 50s and early 60s?

yeah we all know that these comics where written for the little uns... but that doesnt stop them being silly... and the sillyness is why people like the pre crisis superman i think, how superman live sin a la de da plesantville with his family of superpets and all criminals dress smart and think mostly about theft rather than any truely horrible crimes. its a nice world to visit, a world where all of our problems could be solved by men in spandex getting in to fights (a la "heroes against hunger"). its like in one of my favourite superman stories (the 4 page one from the 40s, kinda like the first superman imaginary story) has superman smashing in on Hitler and arresting him, then popping over to russia and nabbing Stalin before taking them to be judged!!!!

amazing!! superman stopped one of the most horrible wars in less time than it takes him to convince jimmy olsen that he isnt Clark Kent. even if this DID happen in the real world it wouldnt stop the wars completely (i think the nazi party would struggle along without Hitler, at least for a while)

and then theres the other side of enjoying sillyness at looking at it though cynical, modern adult eyes...
i mean Jimmy Olsen... there were about three stories about him dressing up in drag to solve crimes... or in one story he just dresses up as a woman to go hang out with his fan club!

that goes on the list of fun silly stuff..

the fact that Jimmy Olsen would have a fan club  Grin
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2007, 11:21:31 PM »

these fellows?

http://superman.nu/wiki/index.php/The_Jimmy_Olsen_Fan_Club

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
carmelo
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2007, 12:45:33 AM »

how many years had the readers of Superman in 50s and early 60s?

yeah we all know that these comics where written for the little uns... but that doesnt stop them being silly... and the sillyness is why people like the pre crisis superman i think, how superman live sin a la de da plesantville with his family of superpets and all criminals dress smart and think mostly about theft rather than any truely horrible crimes. its a nice world to visit, a world where all of our problems could be solved by men in spandex getting in to fights (a la "heroes against hunger"). its like in one of my favourite superman stories (the 4 page one from the 40s, kinda like the first superman imaginary story) has superman smashing in on Hitler and arresting him, then popping over to russia and nabbing Stalin before taking them to be judged!!!!

amazing!! superman stopped one of the most horrible wars in less time than it takes him to convince jimmy olsen that he isnt Clark Kent. even if this DID happen in the real world it wouldnt stop the wars completely (i think the nazi party would struggle along without Hitler, at least for a while)

and then theres the other side of enjoying sillyness at looking at it though cynical, modern adult eyes...
i mean Jimmy Olsen... there were about three stories about him dressing up in drag to solve crimes... or in one story he just dresses up as a woman to go hang out with his fan club!

that goes on the list of fun silly stuff..

Well,you have touched  many interesting arguments.I think that in front at an incredibly powerful characters like Superman an author can choose two roads: Or dip it in reality or ignore the reality.But the first road is full of dangers.Yes,Superman can arrest Hitler,Stalin,and all others dictators,can stop a world war or an tsunami,can defeat poverty,epidemics,terrorism.It could win in few days in Vietnam,and now in Iraq and Afganistan.But which would be result of all this "realism"? An utopic world far to reality much more that the 50s "Pleasantville".The fact is that Superman never has been real;Yes,when in the beginnings he was "only" able to jump an house run more fast that a train, or  raise a car,you could give to his stories a coat of varnish of realism.but with a charapters that fly more fast of the light,survives at atomic explosions and moves a little planet with the hands....realism?? reality??? The 50s.Ok,with the eyes of adult readers of today those stories can seems silly (but the 90s story of Superman death was idiot too in a different manner).But we must remembers some important things:Those histories were not for people of our age,but for  kids (and in 50s kids were kids,not little adults).Second,Superman (with Batman and Wonder Woman) has been the only survivor of the "great massacre of the golden age").So maybe his comics  were not so silly for those times and those readers.P.S.I would love live in Pleasantville.Is my dream. Wink
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 01:17:44 AM by carmelo » Logged
Sam Hawkins
Superman Fan

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2007, 03:57:22 AM »

Supergirl going out with Dick Malverne.
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2007, 02:14:04 PM »

Bizarre, sure. Entertaining? Heck yeah.

And if you think Weisinger era stuff is whack, take a gander of some of the Julie Schwartz titles. 

Im still deciphering a Strange Adventures with a dinosaur skeleton come to life by a hidden race survivor that was entombed for millennia.  The bones were of his beloved pet Bronty.  And that's still just the tip of the iceberg.   

Imaginative fun for all.

And what's wrong with Dick Malverne?  I wept when I saw his demise in Tim Sale's Solo.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2007, 03:18:50 PM »

And if you think Weisinger era stuff is whack, take a gander of some of the Julie Schwartz titles. 

You mean like that story where Perry White gets superpowers from a cigar?

One of the weirdest tales that sticks in my mind (I think it's late Weisinger) is the one where crooks plan to have Superman destroy Metropolis.  They arrange things such that each of his hands will be coated with different chemicals that, when they contact each other, will result in the equivalent of a thermonuclear explosion.  Superman is scheduled to be at a parade and will most likely have to applaud as various people pass by.

Superman then films himself causing a staged nuclear holocaust and broadcasts it to the the crooks' television set to trick them into thinking their plan worked.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 03:22:06 PM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L