superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 07:35:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The many times that Clark said goodby to Superman.  (Read 15843 times)
Continental Op
Superman Family

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 08:46:50 PM »

Probably I'm giving this too much thought, but I feel compelled to compare the details on these... what the artists chose to alter and leave the same.

In the first one, Clark is carrying his hat and has a rolled up newspaper stuffed into his pocket. Clark is looking straight down, while Superman looms above as an ethereal image (making this one the most directly similar to the John Romita cover, and perhaps the only one conscious of the influence). Skyscrapers jutting up in the background at a "fish-eye" angle; apparently Metropolis exists in the middle of a huge barren desert since Clark is miles away from these buildings and there is nothing between.
(Curt Swan pencils, inker uncertain; probably designed by Carmine Infantino)

In the second, Clark is now actually wearing the hat and still has the rolled up newspaper stuffed in his pocket, though it seems bigger now and juts out at an odd angle. The Sunday edition, perhaps? Clark is angrily walking away and Superman is begging him to stay. The buildings are still there, but smaller, and with lights on at night. There is now a broken down fence behind the pleading Superman, perhaps symbolizing that he will "fall apart" without his secret identity.
(Ross Andru pencils, Mike Esposito inks?; probably re-designed by Infantino)

In the third, Clark and Superman are sad to see each other go but the decision seems mutual. Clark is beginning to put the hat on this time. His fingers resemble "live long and prosper" in Vulcan sign language, indicating he wishes Superman well. This time he has remembered to bring an overcoat and suitcase, although it seems odd he would need to leave his apartment since Superman could live at the Fortress. The newspaper is gone, perhaps appropriate since Clark was now working in television.
(Nick Cardy art; still designed by Infantino?)

In the fourth, Clark and Superman both appear angry. Clark is now wearing the overcoat and has just put the hat on, and has traded the suitcase for a slimmer briefcase. He is so angry that he seems to have thrown the newspaper to the ground, scattering the pages all over the street. Superman appears via a large television image in the darkness. He would seem to be rejecting Clark, but notice the pose he has adopted; an imitation of the old army recruitment posters featuring Uncle Sam, which said I WANT YOU. Superman's body language is telling Clark he still wants him.
(Klaus Janson art; possibly Ed Hannigan design based on Infantino?)

In the fifth, the idea is similar but most of the details different and Superman appears to be rejecting his costume rather than Clark rejecting Superman. The use of heat vision rules out this being Clark destroying the costume, so it must be Superman adopting a darker persona. Is this actually an homage to some earlier cover featuring Superman destroying his uniform? Can anyone recall such a design?

Perhaps the Infantino / Romita influence was mutual. This cover of THE FLASH #159 is dated March 1966. There is a sunset in the background, as on the Romita cover, also notice Barry Allen is carrying a suitcase and even putting on a hat!

http://www.milehighcomics.com/cgi-bin/backissue.cgi?action=fullsize&issue=32488651314%20159

jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007, 11:22:45 PM »

He's not POSING as Clark Kent, he IS Clark Kent.  Speaking as someone who was adopted as a baby, my identity as the name I was given is who I really am, and I'd have to think the same is true for Clark Kent.

Being Superman (not the fact of having super-powers, but dressing up in the outfit) is more like a profession.
Gernot
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2007, 08:42:08 AM »

The fourth image came from a story that had Luthor messing with Superman's mind with some of his Lexorian technology.  Superman THOUGHT he'd performed super-feats, and reported them as Clark Kent.  When the word came out that Superman DIDN'T perform the feats, he'd pretended Kent made them up, and Kent was fired from the Planet/WGBS. 

The fifth cover was when a villian (Conduit, a Luthor doppleganger) had found out that Superman and Kent were one and the same person.  Believing Lois was dead, and his other friends in danger from Conduit, Superman decided to quit being Superman and stay as Clark Kent. 

Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 01:02:27 AM »

The fourth image came from a story that had Luthor messing with Superman's mind with some of his Lexorian technology.  Superman THOUGHT he'd performed super-feats, and reported them as Clark Kent.  When the word came out that Superman DIDN'T perform the feats, he'd pretended Kent made them up, and Kent was fired from the Planet/WGBS.   

I was wondering about that.  This thread is about the stories in which Kal-El has renounced his Superman identity to be Clark fulltime.  But when I saw the cover to Superman 410, I got the impression that's not what was happening.  It's just Superman publicly denying one of Clark's news stories - which is really no big deal, and could happen for a number of reasons - could even be staged by Clark/Superman in order to catch some villain. Nothing at all to do with Kal-El renouncing Superman.

I'm glad to learn my impression was correct.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 03:41:39 AM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Gernot
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 02:13:15 PM »

Good instincts, Great Rao! 

Were you trained by Batman?   Grin

Gary
Superman Family

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 04:44:02 PM »

Quote from: Continental Op
In the third, Clark and Superman are sad to see each other go but the decision seems mutual. Clark is beginning to put the hat on this time. His fingers resemble "live long and prosper" in Vulcan sign language, indicating he wishes Superman well. This time he has remembered to bring an overcoat and suitcase, although it seems odd he would need to leave his apartment since Superman could live at the Fortress. The newspaper is gone, perhaps appropriate since Clark was now working in television.
(Nick Cardy art; still designed by Infantino?)

Are you sure that's Cardy? Looks a lot like Swan to me.

The fifth cover was when a villian (Conduit, a Luthor doppleganger) had found out that Superman and Kent were one and the same person.  Believing Lois was dead, and his other friends in danger from Conduit, Superman decided to quit being Superman and stay as Clark Kent. 

Actually, he had quit both identities, and even once Condimwit was beaten he had intended to quit being Clark and stay as Superman, until Lois talked him out of it. (Not sure what similarities you see between Con and Luthor, other than the fact that they both have childhood grudges against the big red S, and that's assuming you're talking about Luthor Classic.)
Continental Op
Superman Family

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2007, 01:23:12 AM »

Curt Swan hardly EVER drew covers after Mort Weisinger retired as editor of the Superman titles .... in fact, I can't think offhand of a SINGLE one he drew. Neal Adams, Nick Cardy, Ross Andru, Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez, Gil Kane, Eduardo Barreto, those guys were all regular cover artists, but never Swan.

However, I was still wrong. The cover in question was by Bob Oksner!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 01:33:06 AM by Continental Op » Logged
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2007, 02:01:15 PM »

Swan must have drawn some....?

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L