superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:30:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re-colored pages  (Read 15773 times)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 03:42:22 AM »

Just off the top of my head, page 6 may have a new panel (Clark's foot?) and the x-ray vision effect through the mask (and now the hat) seems re-done...

One thing that strikes me is that the many small ink marks that make up the professor's face in his first appearance are fairly different than the broader ink lines of the last two pages.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 03:49:05 AM »

I hate to say this, and its just me, but I actually think the new "splash page" with Superman fending off the boulders has too many extra inked rendering lines...it looks a little different overall, and I think it makes Lois look less attractive than the original.

Just my opinion, though...
Criadoman
Superman Family

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 05:29:08 AM »

Just off the top of my head, page 6 may have a new panel (Clark's foot?) and the x-ray vision effect through the mask (and now the hat) seems re-done...

One thing that strikes me is that the many small ink marks that make up the professor's face in his first appearance are fairly different than the broader ink lines of the last two pages.

1. Nope.  As I said subtle.  New hint: it's not necessarily the inking.
2. As above - what you see here is a difference between Bob and Shane - both wonderful, IMO, but just a difference in their styles.

I hate to say this, and its just me, but I actually think the new "splash page" with Superman fending off the boulders has too many extra inked rendering lines...it looks a little different overall, and I think it makes Lois look less attractive than the original.

Just my opinion, though...

Ouch... (it's ok Angel.  You started this development on this thread, so you can deal with it.)

Funny though, I thought she looked more attractive (although I thought Bob's was cool too).  I just couldn't resist doing this page for myself.  But I can see how you'd feel that way.

Oh, the heck with it...

Page 3 - Lois used to be taller than Clark in panel 4 when they were sitting in the car.  I don't know what I was tripping on that day - but after it was inked, it really stood out.

Page 4 - look at panel 1 and 6

Page 6 - panels 3-5 and 8.

What was driving me crazy was a significant lack of texture and background which I didn't get in there.  The inking on the original pages in most cases were so full of character in the backgrounds, that after coloring - the barren backs stood out like a sore thumb.  So, I digitally drew in the inking and backgrounds using a nifty program that is called "Manga Studio".  (I love this program.)

Anyway, I'd better bail before I inadvertently experience any more humbling critiques...  Grin

"If I print "She was stark naked"--& then proceeded to describe her person in detail, what critic would not howl?--but the artist does this & all ages gather around & look & talk & point." - Mark Twain
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 06:33:37 AM »

For anyone who'd like to compare the current versions of the pages with some of their older counterparts, many of the latter were archived in http://superman.nu/k-metal-from-krypton/oldcolors/

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007, 03:17:35 PM »

I wouldn't worry, its all opinions anyway, I almost always think the re-done pages have a better look that seems closer to a Golden Age style than previously.

Comparing the old and new first pages with the boulders, many things are better in the new edition.  The only things that bother me are many extra lines in Lois, her dress, and in the face of the man in the extreme foreground.  And its not that I think they aren't well drawn, its more of an expressive style (lots of these lines indicate motions in the boulders that I like) that I don't think matches either the old or new look.

But others would disagree I'm sure.  I just love combing over the art, and its easy to be a critic.  Grin
Criadoman
Superman Family

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2007, 03:47:38 AM »

Thank you, Rao, for the comparisons pages.

I'm really kidding MatterEaterLad.  I was a Latin Dance Competitor and Teacher for about 14 years - and I really don't have a problem with critiques having developed understanding about what they are as the years went on.  Actually, in almost 80% of them, there is a gleaming of increased knowledge and understanding you can get and typically only a very small percentage is actually destructive intended.  I was really just trying to be cute.  Your critique is welcome.

I will admit I got a bit carried away on the fine line aspects.  That tempers with experience I guess.  However, overall I thought the drama and excitement factors were much higher after all was said and done - hence a key reason why it got posted.  I've got some inking coming up later in the story - hopefully that will be well received.

I just recently learned there were once a good many pros who basically just drew their manikin figures (e.g. balloony or block figures) and rather than finish in pencil, they went straight to inks to finish.  That there is some skill.  One pro was Steve Ditko who did this at least in Spiderman back in the 60's.

"If I print "She was stark naked"--& then proceeded to describe her person in detail, what critic would not howl?--but the artist does this & all ages gather around & look & talk & point." - Mark Twain
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L