superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:43:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Only one Zod has existed in New Earth continuity  (Read 8922 times)
NotSuper
Action Ace

« on: March 29, 2007, 08:31:57 AM »

From the "Ask Matt" section on the Superman Homepage:
Chris V. asks:
Matt, you mentioned in a past post that Superman meets Zod for the first time, does that mean the previous Zods that Superman met are retconned?
Matt: I'm afraid so, Chris. Such are the wages of stories like INFINITE CRISIS.

Since there has only ever been one Zod (the Johns/Donner version) in New Earth continuity, Superman certainly couldn't have executed another version. With this retcon, perhaps the biggest black spot on Superman's career is now gone. Quite frankly, I'm very happy to know this. And on another level, having multiple Zods, Supergirls, and Legions in continuity seems unnecessary.

Kudos to the person that made this call.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 11:27:52 AM »

Good call, perhaps since Johns said he read every PZ story ever, when he got to the one written by the John Redbeard, even he must have felt revolted and decided to fix it.

Glad to see the PZoners back, but seeing how the last issue ended and who is writing it, I get the feeling that the next issue is going to be a bloodbath, but I hope I am wrong.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
crispy snax
Superman Family

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 01:26:57 PM »

hopefully they will retcon away Mongul 2! the son of the original mongul, who looks and acts exactly the same...

...jeez just bring the original one back from the dead, we know you love doing that DC!

still on new earth all you merely do is remove the footnote where mongul died... heck just say he was "badly wounded, but not killed" and practically nothings hurt!

still, removing the previous three zods (thats the amount i can remember) it affects the story a bit, and also the back grounds of characters like the matrix supergirl, superdog, la de da...

still, removing all but the newest zod, im all for it!
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 07:33:09 PM »

I'm not reading the new books, so tell me: does Superman react here as if he's never met anyone named "Zod" before? Because otherwise it'd be easy enough to keep the "Pocket Universe"/SuperKiller storyline valid.  That tale involved a Zod of another dimension/reality, so retconning away all previous Zods from DC's "official" Krypton wouldn't have to affect him one way or the other, right?  He came from a different Krypton in another reality anyway.

The only way Superman's killing of the other Zod doesn't count is if the currently-in-print Superman literally says something like, "Zod.  What's a Zod?  Never heard of him." 

Does that make any sense?  Heck, does anything?

This looks like a job for...
crispy snax
Superman Family

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 11:00:57 PM »

aw check you nightwing, looking for sense in modern comics...

still i think it does have an effect on the timeline, it brings back the ol' zero hour paradox... let me explain as i understand,

if superman never went to the pocket universe, then he never gets ridden with guilt and never exiles himself to outer space, which means he never meets mongul or finds the eradicator, which means the eradicator isnt on earth to create the cyborg superman, and also the eradicator isnt there to ressurect superman after being killed battling doomsday. and since cyborg superman isnt created and mongul isnt aware of earth (i dont think) then coast city is never destroyed, and Hal Jordan never becomes Parallax, so the zero hour crisis doesnt happen!

and of course, due to the amount of times superman has saved earth, the earth will probably be smoooshed
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 04:02:56 AM »

I'm not reading the new books, so tell me: does Superman react here as if he's never met anyone named "Zod" before? Because otherwise it'd be easy enough to keep the "Pocket Universe"/SuperKiller storyline valid.  That tale involved a Zod of another dimension/reality, so retconning away all previous Zods from DC's "official" Krypton wouldn't have to affect him one way or the other, right?  He came from a different Krypton in another reality anyway.

The only way Superman's killing of the other Zod doesn't count is if the currently-in-print Superman literally says something like, "Zod.  What's a Zod?  Never heard of him." 

I went back to re-read Action 846 to see how this is handled.

Wow.  These guys are really good!  It turns out you can read the dialogue either way, depending on whichever version of continuity you are assuming.  Neither is contradicted and, impossible as it would seem, both are confirmed.  This is from when Zod first goes public and attacks Superman - as they paste-up the street with each other, knock each other through buildings, etc, here's the discussion that takes place:

Zod: "Hello, Kal-El... Superman... or should I call you Clark Kent?  We have obtained glimpses into your life on this primitive planet for decades, and yet I have never understood your motives for self-degradation.  Your father would be disgraced to discover you masquerading as one of these sub-Kryptonians.  You've embraced their culture and abandoned your own."

Supes: "...GENERAL ZOD?"

Zod: "You know of me Kal-El?"

Supes: "I've studied Krypton's history.  You're wearing prison uniforms.  You and your friend are criminals who were exiled to the phantom zone."

Zod:  "We are not criminals.  We are rebels who had an opportunity to save Krypton, but were denied because of the actions of your father."

Superman: "I don't know how you escaped, but as soon as I get a few hits in to remember me by -- I'm sending you back."

Matt has shown that when he doesn't want to answer a question in his column, he can do a pretty good job of double-speak.  But his answer to this question was pretty clear:  In spite of the possibly ambiguous dialogue, this is the first and only Zod.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 04:09:25 AM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 05:49:25 AM »

I love how Zod calls humans "sub-Kryptonians." Someone like Zod would look at human beings as caveman or even apes.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
crispy snax
Superman Family

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 12:12:45 PM »

i like the ambiguity, but then again im a continuity nerd at times....

... i go to alcoholics anonymus type meetings for it, Mark Waid is the group leader
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L