superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:49:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does Beppo make more sense than fans think?  (Read 10075 times)
NotSuper
Action Ace

« on: March 30, 2007, 05:58:01 AM »

It occurs to me that if Krypton had a population that looked exactly like humans, then they would probably have lower primate analogues as well. (I'm looking at the  Kryp and Toon story as a legend--two people populating a planet wouldn't really work.) And it also seems likely that Jor-El would test his son's ship with something resembling a humanoid Kryptonian.

I'm bringing this up because Beppo is often considered to be one of the more unbelievable characters in the Superman comics, but is he really? Frankly, it seems like he makes more sense than Krypto, and I say this despite liking Krypto much more than Beppo.

So, what does everyone think? Does Beppo get a lot of undue criticism?

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 07:00:51 AM »

Because Kryptonians resemble humans, is it necessary that they evolved from something like primates? One of the coolest moments in the Wolfman/Perez NEW TEEN TITANS was General Immortus's De-Evolution Pit: a classic comics deathtrap, where all the Titans started transforming into apelike creatures...except the alien Starfire, who became something catlike.

It would be interesting to look at the fossil record for Krypton. One of my favorite elements of L. Sprague de Camp's "Viagens" books is that his Krishnans have a Neanderthal or Homo erectus sub-race that survived: as scattered forest-dwelling tailed people. I can TOTALLY see something like that being a "World of Krypton" backup.

Also, it's not 100% sure that Kryptonians evolved on their planet; even discounting Bates's story, in LEGION there's some amusing debate whether Krypton or Daxam is the colony.

(We've had this discussion before, but I'm inclined to think Daxam was the founding world and Krypton the colony, because what little we saw of Daxam in the "Mantis Morlo, Chemical Conqueror" story, Daxam was the more settled, sophisticated society, whereas Krypton has always been a "Wild West" planet with huge wilderness areas and occasionally hostile flora and fauna.)

As for Krypto being "identical" to earthly dogs...HA. Krypto, to me, always looked less like a dog, and more like a kind of albino rat monster.

I agree Krypto makes less sense than Beppo, and that writers should come up with some sort of explanation that doesn't involve dubious parallel evolution theories. I dislike the whole idea of parallel evolution; it's lazy and credibility stretching, and gives us nonsense like those approximately 12.5 billion STAR TREK episodes where they find a world identical to earth except the Roman empire never fell or there are only kids left, or 1920s gangsters, or Nazis.

One possible explanation for Krypto may be found in that Martin Pasko Flash/Superman race, which has something of a Mopee-ish quality: it had the revelation that Krypton and Earth were both settled by genetic material from the same pair of warring alien planets.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 07:09:50 AM by JulianPerez » Logged

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
crispy snax
Superman Family

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 12:07:00 PM »

i think whats more dubious than the animals that are identical on krypton/earth is the krypton exclusive creatures like the thought creature... what it plans to attack appears on a big movie screen on it head... that should count as a disablity, kudos to them for not dying out!

to be honest, the whole parallel evolution idea doesnt both me in pre crisis DCU. this is a universe, which obvously works on rather different laws of physics and common sense (like supergirl watching supermans feats on earth though a telescope at argo city.. according to the laws of physics this doesnt work, but according to a childlike common sense, its obvous)

as for the idea of Kryp and Tonn fathering the kryptonian race... well its canonical to me! its just a such a nice idea.. i just use my fan speculation that after they had their first batch of kids, some outside influences (like say the guardians of the universe, who were trying to breed Kal-El as their successor werent they?) worked their lil hyper science-so-amazing-its-like-magic powers to create a race of at least 500 kryptonians (i think thats the minimum needed to repopulate a planet) from the original batches data
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 05:18:33 PM »

Science fiction has been creating worlds with humans for a long time.  It just makes it more identifiable for people.  Even the strange "creatures" are almost always bilaterally symmetrical, with two sets of limbs on either side of the spine (occasionally, like in the middle ages, a dragon will have another set of limbs as in wings).  Creating truly interesting worlds with radially symmetrical life or all kinds of colonial symbiotic types of things would be cool, but those things would have a harder time convincing Lois that they were really Clark Kent.

Generally, Krypto looked more like a dog than a lot of renderings of Ace the Bathound. Grin

Kryp and Tonn can be cannon and still be an allegory, like Romulus and Remus founding Rome.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 12:40:12 AM »

Of course he makes sense, but that's not why I pick him as my namesake, I did it to rib Iron Age fans Wink

One thing that they got wrong is that Jor-El used a freaking dog and a puppy at that as a test pet for his baby boy.

On Earth-Prime and our Earth aka Real Life, NASA used a MONKEY to test the rocket before sending human astronauts into outer space.

Yet Beppo's origin is that he went into Kal-El's rocket and fell asleep and ending up on Earth, kind of dumb.

All they have to do is switch Krypto's and Beppo's origins and they would make perfect sense.

Real Life Space MONKEYS:

http://history.nasa.gov/animals.html

Strange but true!

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 12:48:04 AM »

The use of dogs and apes in the Kryptonian space program, a clear analog to the early Earth programs of the USSR and USA, is entirely understandable, needing very little suspension of disbelief.

The continuity evidence for Kryptonian evolution from "lower" primates, hidden away in the dark corners of DC comics publishing history, is harder to make a case for.  Unless of course we find a clear reference in a Silver Age tale, all we have to go on are Kryp & Ton, Maggin's reference to "2 lonely space explorers" in LSOK, and various Tales of Krypton, in which the local fauna does not really have clear analogs with Earth fauna.  The dog adopted by Nightwing and Flamebird is hardly like Krypto, and all other animals we see on Krypton, besides being (mostly) four-limbed, vary a great deal from Earth-type animals.

As to the fossil record, I can't think of any refs.  Lana trained as an archeologist in Kandor, but I think she only dealt with material culture, not fossils.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 01:56:53 AM »

The fossil record does indicate the crystal birds that formed the Jewel Mountains. Again, bilaterally symmetrical and of a form like all earth birds.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 02:09:33 AM by MatterEaterLad » Logged
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 02:04:30 AM »

Don't forget these guys:

http://superman.nu/wiki/index.php/King_Krypton

http://superman.nu/wiki/index.php/Super-Ape

http://superman.nu/wiki/index.php/Yango

Really, I have said many times before, that the old school writers didn't care if this stuff actually make any real sense in the grand scheme of things, only that it was fun for kids to read.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L