superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:27:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DC Actively Erasing Superboy  (Read 14713 times)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« on: March 31, 2007, 12:39:42 AM »

Ever since the landmark court case involving the paternity and copyright of Superboy --claimed by both DC/Warner and the Siegel family, the future of Superboy comics publishng at Dc has been in doubt.  Sure, there is the new Superboy & the Legion tv show show, but what about recent comics?

http://blog.newsarama.com/2007/03/30/superboy-now-you-see-him-now-you-dont/

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 12:59:19 AM »

Oh boy...

What does this lawsuit even mean? Do they own it now outright? I mean could they, say release a Superboy comic at Image if they wanted to?

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 01:49:21 AM »

Sure, there is the new Superboy & the Legion tv show show, but what about recent comics?

If you watch that show, not only is it called "Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes" but every reference is ALWAYS to SuperMAN, even though the character is obviously a teen.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 04:41:44 AM »

oops --I had forgotten it was called "Superman and the LSOH" (I haven't seen it yet).

As far as the lawsuit goes, I think they may currently have joint ownership of copyright, and I don't think the whole matter is settled yet, hence DC hedging their bets and eliminating Superboy/tying up loose ends as in the Superboy Prime thing.

There has been speculation that the Siegels could shop it around, but the costume, etc are still under trademark/copyright so what they would have is a name and a concept --superpowered boy called Superboy.

Supermanica
(temporarily offline)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 05:05:18 AM »

Oh, I agree, DC is running away from Superboy at light speed.

The Legion cartoon is enjoyable, its just so odd to see all the Legion lads, lasses, girls, and boys address the very young Kryptonian as "Superman".
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 08:00:28 PM »

Oh, I agree, DC is running away from Superboy at light speed.

Yes, but I don't think this is because the Siegels got ownership of Superboy. Even after the ruling, they still published Infinite Crisis (and graphic novel collections of it) containing two Superboys. There is also the possibility that Smallville could be ruled a Superboy show and that the Siegels would own all post-2004 episodes.

DC has been erasing Superboy since the mid-1980s. The last retelling of Superman's origin to include Superboy was 22 years ago in Superman: The Secret Years. Despite a 40-year run, no Superboy archives have been published...the only major Golden Age character not to have that luxury.

The market for Superboy is still there. I wish that DC would realize that.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 10:35:18 PM »

Good points, Gangbuster.  For me, Superboy is an essential part of the Superman Family and legend and a big part of why I'm drawn to this community --we are keeping the memory of those great old comics and the character alive here.  I don't have a big collection of DC Archives and so was unaware that there were no Superboy volumes --makes sense, given DC's attitude to the character.  A combination of ear and embarrassment.

Of course, Smallville is an iteration of Superboy --one I may have been delighted with as a teenager-- but it can't hold a candle to the artistry of those simple & beautiful childrens stories that make up the Superboy comics opus.

Supermanica
(temporarily offline)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 11:34:15 PM »

Well, the Showcase Legion book is out TODAY and Superboy is all over those stories.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L