superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:30:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DC Actively Erasing Superboy  (Read 14814 times)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2007, 09:33:25 AM »

Well, the Showcase Legion book is out TODAY and Superboy is all over those stories.

And the early Legion Archives as well, I guess. 

Quote from: Julian
And Superboy has had some pretty mediocre artists. I'm talking about George Papp and Al Plastino here. The brief, but major exception is Bob Brown

I feel exactly the opposite.  Papp and Plastino (especially Papp) had quirky, highly individualistic, yet professional styles.  Very clear and attractive.  Brown less so.  Somewhat bland, but not in a good Papp way.

Legal Stuff

The Siegels do own Superboy as of 2004. Siegel created Superboy long after Superman and the legal case that decided DC's ownership of Superman did not effect Superboy.

I have no idea what arrangements the Siegels have made since then with DC in terms of allowing Superboy reprints, let alone allowing any production of new Superboy characters/stories.

I suspect that DC is still planning legal moves and skirting around the issue.  One possible interpretation is that the Siegels only own any Superboy characters or stories created after the ruling, post-2004.  This could explain the reappearance of Superboy Prime, a 1980s character.  Kind of weak, since what the Siegels own is actually the copyright to the character Superboy.  Jerry sold the copyright to DC back in the 40s, and DC renewed  beginning in 1972, but under copyright law, the original creator or his heirs have the right to regain the copyright every 47 years.  This is what the Siegels did with Superboy.

The most recent move is that a judge allowed the Siegels to sue over Smallville.  That suit is still pending but the judge stated in a "partial summary judgement" (basically, since the case looks like it might go on forever, the Siegels asked him how it was likely to turn out) that it seems to him that Smallville infringes on the Siegels' copyright.

links

background article from Comics Journal

Excellent article about the case from Variety

(despite its slangy showbiz orientation, Variety is a "real" newspaper, unlike most online sites and fanzines)

Newsarama about Siegels suing over Smallville

« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 09:40:25 AM by TELLE » Logged

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Lee Semmens
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2007, 01:31:17 PM »

I would never celebrate at the death of a fellow human being, especially someone as talented in his own right as L. Sprague de Camp, but...really, thanks to him dying we've got these deluxe, unabridged versions of Conan, the Bran Mak Morn tales, etc. While L. Sprague is a great writer, his copyright-ownership stranglehold on Howard's estate, and refusal to allow "pure" Howard to be published really hurt fans. A pastiche by him or Lin Carter has no business with Howard's work, no more than something I write belongs there.

And Superboy has had some pretty mediocre artists. I'm talking about George Papp and Al Plastino here. The brief, but major exception is Bob Brown, who is one of my all-time favorite AVENGERS artists, right up there with Perez and Heck. They had Murphy Anderson to ink over him on SUPERBOY, and you've got something explosive enough to need a warning label. Still, the Brown/Anderson combo didn't last as long as it ought to.

It surprises me that L. Sprague de Camp had any say in the publication of unedited and unexpurgated tales of Conan. More so as a British publisher brought out a first volume (of two) of such Conan stories just before de Camp died, although his assistance was mentioned in the acknowledgements (though I must say, these books were shockingly proofread, and I am glad I was able to replace them with the newer Ballantine/Del Rey editions).

I agree with you to some extent, Julian - Papp and Plastino have usually failed to excite me, and in my opinion their stories nearly always stand or fall solely on the merits of the writing, unlike the case with Curt Swan on art duties, for instance, with him even if the story is tending towards mediocrity I can still enjoy the art.

The late 1960s-early 1970s Frank Robbins/Bob Brown stint on Superboy is my favorite era of Superboy, with some of the stories having a distinctly darker, noirish edge to them. You omitted to mention, Julian, the great Wally Wood's fairly brief stint as inker over Brown's pencils on Superboy just before Anderson came along. Wood and Anderson are two of the greatest inkers who ever lived in my opinion, and the Superboy comic was certainly much better for having their talents on the book for several years. The less said about Jack Abel's brief spell as Superboy inker around about the same time, the better.

I treasure my complete run of Superboy comics from this period, particularly as apparently none of them have ever been reprinted.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2007, 04:52:48 PM »

Hated, hated, hated the dark and trendy Superboy period that began to emerge in the late 60s and persisted through the 70s.

Loved the 50s stories (often reprinted in 60s comics as "Superboy Hall of Fame").  Sweet stories with a sense of Smallville in the past, Superboy helping Lana's father reduce stress, Superboy agreeing to Lana's request to help Clark with his self-confidence, Superboy worrying the Kents because he is deliberately exposing himself to specific pieces of kryptonite to build up some immunity.

These great soft tales of a boy growing up in a simple time are completely destroyed when mixed with tales like the second "Super Teacher" story, I mean really - Superboy having the hots for a new "girl" and BIGFOOT?  Lol... Grin  Ripped out of the headlines of a teen tabloid right next to the hype for "King Kong 1976" and a serious discussion of "In Search of Ancient Astronauts"...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 06:37:57 PM by MatterEaterLad » Logged
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2007, 06:37:03 PM »

well, we can't add Big foot to the Supermanica since that book isn't canon.

Maybe some day Wink

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2007, 06:40:46 PM »

well, we can't add Big foot to the Supermanica since that book isn't canon.

Maybe some day Wink

Uggh...but the story is cited in the "Super Teacher" entry, just with the reference spelled out.  I remember, because it pained me to write it...  Grin  Do you think it should go?  There are Detective Comics stories with Superman and Batman in the Batman entry.
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2007, 08:08:04 PM »

Gangbuster writes:

That means basically that DC could publish a comic book or any other product with "Superboy" on the cover, but if the story contains a Superboy, it is copyright infringement.

Michel Weisnor writes:

DC refuses to use the name Superboy, except in reprints.

BTW, I see the Superboy segments have been removed from the upcoming DVD collection of Filmation's 1966 "New Adventures of Superman" cartoons.  Which is a shame, since Superboy and Krypto were the best part of the show.  Embarrassed

That is bad news. Superboy segments are essential to the first season. I'm still going to buy this set. Here's hoping, Superboy will see a DVD release if New Adventures of Superman sales are good. 

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2007, 01:02:48 AM »

Below is an intersting article regarding Superboy in DC.

Johns interview @ign.com 4th page

http://comics.ign.com/articles/779/779562p1.html

"IGN Comics: Infinite Crisis suggested that Clark Kent used his powers for good as an adolescent or teenager. Will you be exploring his youth at all in Action Comics?

Johns: Yes, we'll be exploring that. We're really kind of playing it up like this urban legend - this Super "dash" Boy that was flying around for a while.

IGN Comics: Will this be more along the lines of Smallville rather than say the Silver-Age Superboy stories?

Johns: Kind of, yeah. A little bit of both."

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L