superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:48:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Page 12: Lucky Day!  (Read 13894 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« on: March 31, 2007, 06:26:54 AM »

As we've been progressing through "The K-Metal from Krypton," each page has either been an all-new page of our own creation, or a re-drawn version of a 1940 page.  We had to redraw those original pages, instead of just utilizing them outright, because of the poor quality of the copies we had available to us.

But with page 12, we are running the original Wayne Boring and Don Komisarow artwork.  No redrawing, no refinishing.  In fact, it hasn't even been relettered.  Aside from the colors - courtesy of Sarge - and some minor cleanup - courtesy of Angel - this page is 100% all 1940.

Not only that, but it is also a never-before-seen page.  Previous 1940 pages had been published in Steranko's History of the Comics or in Alter-Ego.  But as far as we have been able to determine, page 12 has never been seen before.

Many thanks to Thomas Andrae, who contributed the original artwork for this page.  Before he did, though, we had already begun work on our own version.  A couple of those early incarnations, along with an interim alternate layout, are also now online.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 03:25:57 AM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Chris Mortimore
Superman's Pal

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 11:17:16 AM »

Some good work on the page, it looks great.

But as a side note, this dialogue is rather disturbing.

Superman: Take off those clothes!
Tramp: Yes, Mr Superman! I-I'll take them off! D-don't do me no harm! I-I didn't know they were yours!
Superman: Stop talking! Hurry! Hurry!

Shocked

Real knowledge is to know the extent of ones ignorance
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 01:11:49 PM »

Great! I love the "making of" behind the scenes stuff as well.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 04:52:17 PM »

Yeah, I totally groove on the "making of" things.  I think with the new colors and some re-draws, the pages are flowing with a good consistent look, and matches the record of the real art.

I might have made the bum's underwear red or pinkish, though, something that emphasizes his "long johns". Grin
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 10:15:49 PM »

I might have made the bum's underwear red or pinkish...

I had the same assumption that the union suit would be red.  But Sarge surprised us all with his innovative brilliance.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 04:44:34 PM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
carmelo
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 07:18:13 PM »

Some good work on the page, it looks great.

But as a side note, this dialogue is rather disturbing.

Superman: Take off those clothes!
Tramp: Yes, Mr Superman! I-I'll take them off! D-don't do me no harm! I-I didn't know they were yours!
Superman: Stop talking! Hurry! Hurry!

Shocked
The late 30s Superman was much "iron age".I dont'like many.But is an interesting character.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 07:40:06 PM »

I might have made the bum's underwear red or pinkish...

I had the same assumption that the union suit would be red.  But Sarge surprised us all with his innovative brilliance.  Cheesy

Actually, green is the color compliment to the reddish brick wall, making it stand out more in contrast, probably a good guess on what the original may have been like.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 09:33:22 PM »

Great! I love the "making of" behind the scenes stuff as well.

Thanks!  Said info being here - http://forum.fortress.net.nu/index.php?topic=2828.msg22148#msg22148
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 03:30:24 AM by Great Rao » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L