superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 04:56:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I love Mark Waid's BIRTHRIGHT!  (Read 7805 times)
panthergod
Superman Fan

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 02:33:24 PM »

I agree with most of what you're saying, but the problem with Birthright is that it dfid alot to establish Superman's world and little to advance the PLOT. it was far too long, the art was inconsistent, and the 'big menace' of Luthor's fake Kryptonians worked thematically, but wasn't that appealing aesthetically. Krypton, Luthor and the idetification of the symbol as Kryptons flag was excellent.

Birthright would have been as great movie.

Better than All Star? SMH. Any given issue of All Star is superior to the Birthright series. you'te letting your irrational Morrison hate get in the way or your sense, man. Wink.
Ruby Spears Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 01:34:08 AM »

I wish that it had been more of a DC version of Ultimates rather then them trying to force it into the mainstream continuity. Trying to rebuild all of continuity around it was going to be a big hassle. I've heard both claims that it no longer counts as history anymore and the claim that it is still canon, I don't know which to believe but I do know that even after it was published the regular titles still made references to the MOS history while also making reference to the Birthright history. A good example of this is the Supergirl storyline in Batman/Superman.     
crispy snax
Superman Family

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2007, 12:41:52 AM »

i liked birthright, but i  think i like the new "evil movie" version of kryton better (DONT HURT ME) theres something exciting in krypton being a dystopia, it means there are stories to be told,

still most of birthright could still be canon really,

and the camera joke with luthor... funny funny funny  Grin
alabama assassin
Superman Fan

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 12:30:03 PM »

i just started reading superman and i have never read comics till now, 30.  i started with all star and i am now halfway through birthright and it is truly amazing (not that i'm an expert).  these 2 books were so enjoyable that i ordered 5 more superman graphic novels last night.  i highly recommend both with birthright being a little more exciting due to more realistic situations.
carmine
Superman Family

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 01:37:27 AM »

It was way too long, but the Lex Luthor was pretty awesome.

Kinggunman
Superman Fan

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 04:24:42 AM »

Birthright was a fairly good comic but I didn't like it that much.

I didn't mind that he was a vegitarian, which makes a little sense, what with him being so addament about preservation of life. And his aura perception was interesting but overall, unnecassary.

Things that bugged me was the whole, isolated Krypton. It f'ed with so many characters important to the Superman mythos! Think Eradicator, and Doomsday. The Eradicator was built by Kam-El as a way to keep Kryptonian's on Krypton and aliens off.   

Didn't Doomsday escape Krypton by stowing away on a shuttle?

And the time viewer Lex built. If Krypton was so advanced, and Earth is so primitave in comparison, how could a human build a device that can communicate through time and space when Krypton didn't even have a space program?

And on a factual note, many of the things mentioned, such as Terror Alerts didn't exist until the early 21st century, when the story is supposed to be set in the mid to late 80's!

It was just riddled with plot holes and plan ridiculusness that truly belongs as a Silver Age tale and not part of Modern continuity.

But it is a good read!

Destiny is a load of crap, created by weak people who are to afraid to take control of their own lives.-me
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 11:11:51 AM »

Hmmm... I think that the terror alerts, instant messaging and so on were placed in the story to establish it firmly in the post-9/11 world. They weren't mentioned in the bits dealing with Superman's childhood or youth.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L