superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "SONG OF THE EARTH!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:48:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maybe there shouldn't be another Superman film  (Read 9703 times)
bryan
Superman Fan

« on: July 05, 2003, 11:16:25 PM »

I've been thinking about this for a while and, huge Superman fan that I am, I think that there should be no more Superman films made.

I'm not saying this because of the development hell this planned film has been in or because of Jon Peters.

Those are factors, but not the major one.

My feeling is that Superman The Movie and Superman II set a standard and feeling that no future Superman film (no matter how well crafted) can ever equal.

Why, because they were like your first love. Everything is new and fresh.

Supemran was the first super-hero film of the modern era. It has an appeal and inspiration that, like that first lovve, is forever unique and will never be equalled.

I'd prefer they let the first two movies stand as the definitive Superman film. They were about as good as you can get and there is no need to do any more. Further movies will only take away from the special nature of the Reeve Superman films by diluting them.
lastkryptonianhere
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2003, 01:42:21 AM »

Okay sometimes I think that maybe you are right but I just can not believe that with proper care and repect we can have another Superman movie that would blow people away like the first movie did.  Sure there have been problems but for over 20 years Spider-man was in movie option hell and well Spider-Man was an awesome movie - just think what the special effects in Superman would be.  However the main reason Superman - The Movie is one of the best movies ever was because of the acting.  The effects got the people's attention but Christopher Reeves' clark/superman and the supporting cast (epecially Gene Hackman) were what have made this movie such a success.

"Look Up In The Sky ..."
bryan
Superman Fan

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2003, 10:32:37 PM »

I feel that everything has been done that can be done with Superman in the movies. Trying to more Superman film now is like a TV series thats best days are over (Fraiser) which still tries to keep coming back for yet another season.

You can't capture that original feel/quality and it would be a huge creative mistake to ever try doing anoher Superman filom.

With one exception. Let the franchise go out on a huge note. Do a real death of Superman film where the Man of Steel, in the movie continuity, is killed off. Base it on something like Superman 149.

Have Superman go out in a blaze of glory sacrificing himself for Earth. The original Lemkin script for Superman Reborn did indeed do just this. Really kill off Superman.

But WB got scared because it might be hard selling to advertisers who would tie in with the film a movie in which Superman actually dies.

It would be huge  - as big as Spidey maybe. And the Superman movie franchise would end with a huge bang.

That's the only way another Superman film could ever be made which would resonate with viewers as the first Reeeve film did.
KryptoniteKills
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2003, 01:16:24 AM »

There has onely been one big-screen interpretation of Superman.  Sure it consists of four movies, but they were all the same basic version of the character, and they weren'r really even trying on the last two.  I'd say there is still plenty of room for a new movie franchise.  I'm more than a little iffy about MCG and Peters handling it though.
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2003, 03:47:52 AM »

Let see if they can hold out for Welling.  Superman's had a variety of media incarnations and Id like to see a NEW ONE IF handled with CARE AND RESPECT like Tollins/RTobbins have been doing with Smallville.
Kal-El10
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2003, 05:12:23 AM »

It is an excellent point that Christopher Reeve will be a very hard act to follow. Howver, prior to Superman The Movie, that same comment was made about George Reeves. Dean Cain did a pretty good job of intepreting the character and there are surely some actors today that could, not make people forget Reeve, but offer a good compliment. Of those mentioned that I'm familiar with, Brendan Frasier would be my choice. I think he has shwn the range to play all aspects of the character convincingly. I'm sure there are others though please not Ashton Kutcher.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2003, 06:03:38 AM »

Let's see, who looks more like Superman :

Brendan Frasier

http://www.brendanfraser.com/

or

Ashton Kutcher

http://www.allaboutashton.com/

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2003, 07:55:51 AM »

Neither...not Josh "Beady Eyes' Hartnett as well.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L