superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:16:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Reign of the Superman!"  (Read 13297 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« on: April 08, 2007, 04:13:48 AM »

Happy Easter!

In keeping with the theme of rebirth, and in celebration of the 15 year anniversary of the death - and the rebirth - of Superman, here is:

"The Reign of the Superman!"

I'm beginning to wonder if the Iron Age was like the presidency of the first George Bush:  In retrospect, we didn't realize how good we actually had it.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 03:42:28 AM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 04:30:16 AM »

I always liked Tom Grummet's art and somehow had missed that ish.  Thanx.
davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 07:47:30 AM »

Grummet and Hazelwood... wish they could have stayed on the book forever!

Reading it now...
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 02:06:57 PM »

Great artwork and Superman actually acts like Superman in this one, but I still hate the hair, at least on Superman.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 11:57:15 PM »

The dialogue on page 14 implies that there's a whole Savage Dragon cross-over between pages 14 and 15; with the mop-up on page 15.

This story was published in 1993, but Karl Kessel's "Superman & Savage Dragon: Metropolis" wasn't published until 1999.

Anyone have any idea whether this was just an inside joke, or actually referred to the events of some other comicbook?

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 11:38:57 AM »

Great artwork and Superman actually acts like Superman in this one, but I still hate the hair, at least on Superman.

The hair... I'm expecting Sups to say, I'm Superman! Goodnight, Metropolis!

The triangle? kept 90's Superman comics in continuity. That was a neat little gadget. When was the triangle? abandoned? 

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 06:25:45 AM »

The hair... I'm expecting Sups to say, I'm Superman! Goodnight, Metropolis!

The triangle? kept 90's Superman comics in continuity. That was a neat little gadget. When was the triangle? abandoned? 

I can't really say anything bad about the hair as I have shoulder-length hair myself (though I did find it's ever-changing length to be hilarious). My problem was that the stories of this particular era ranged from somewhat decent (Fall of Metropolis) to downright terrible (Trial of Superman).

The triangle system disappeared after the godawful Our Worlds at War crossover IIRC.
wimted
Superman Fan

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 10:36:23 AM »

Does anyone know where I can find an overview/index which comic is connected to which triangle? I'm missing some "triangles" and I don't know which issues they could be
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L