superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonThe ADVENTURES of SUPERBOY!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:36:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SHAZAM! Screenplay Writer Says 40's Captain Marvel stinks  (Read 12003 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 03:12:32 PM »

Julian Perez writes:

As I've never thought much of Captain Marvel - I find the so-called "whimsy" nauseating - I'm not 100% against the idea of August NOT drawing on it for his source material.

But see, here's the problem.  Why option a property when you have no intention of being faithful to it?

This has always been Hollywood's problem; they find a popular concept, decide to capitalize on the popularity with a film and right off the bat change everything that made it popular in the first place.

But, you argue, Captain Marvel's popularity is in the past.  Captain Marvel was created for a different generation.  Captain Marvel would never work today if done the way he was then.

Exactly. So find something else to make a movie about.  Leave Cap alone and let him live in the past where he was great and at the top of his game.

Here's an idea: if you're going to start from scratch, why not create your own character and name him something else?  Hmm?  I'll tell you why not; because your concepts can't stand on their own merits and the only thing bringing audiences in will be the name-recognition generated by earlier, better creators than yourself.  It's the old bait-and-switch.

I hadn't realized this moron wrote the Charlie's Angels movies.  That alone is reason enough to avoid this film like the plague.

"Old things suck."  With luck, maybe he won't ever have to transition into that category himself.

Typical Hollywood type, "hey, this comic would make a great film! All we will have to do is change everything about it!".

But, let's get positive, and talk about good things...

My favorite Captain Marvel comic ever is on-line for free. You will need http://www.geocities.com/davidayton/CDisplay to read it. It's worth it, trust me and it is free!

Captain Marvel Adventures No. 100
http://goldenagecomics.co.uk/index.php?dlid=1424

It was also reprinted in the old "Smithsonian Book of Comic-Book Comics" history book.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 03:25:29 PM »

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out later.

I see it's issue #100, though.  Wouldn't that be "Captain Marvel Battles the Plot Against the Universe?"

If so, I agree it's the all-time best Cap story, and one of my favorite comics in general.

This looks like a job for...
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 03:58:01 PM »

http://johnaugust.com/archives/2007/captain-marvel-reader

"Why I’m not including the vintage collections
 I’m struck with the same realization I encounter trying to watch The Honeymooners or a black-and-white movie: Wow. Old things suck.

Clearly, none of us believe that old things suck, because we are on this site. I'm about to start work on a Master's in History in a couple of months...another degree in old things!

The Captain Marvel serial (black and white) is considered to best the best movie serial of all time. More critically acclaimed than say, the 1970s Shazam! show.

This movie is possibly going to suck. But, it will be the best thing to happen to Captain Marvel since DC got him. Like Maggin said, it's hard for him to exist on the same earth as Superman.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 05:03:56 PM »

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out later.

I see it's issue #100, though.  Wouldn't that be "Captain Marvel Battles the Plot Against the Universe?"

If so, I agree it's the all-time best Cap story, and one of my favorite comics in general.

That would be the one!

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2007, 02:50:22 AM »

For those of you who never seen the HoneyMooners, just watch this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pVnZzCNvyo

Extremely funny and old too, who knew? Wink

- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2007, 03:35:49 AM »

Not bad, not as timeless as Geoff Johns, of course... Grin
Shazam!
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2007, 05:07:51 PM »

I might be old but I don't think I suck. Age is only important if your'e a cheese!   American, Swiss, Provalone or Cheddar?

The Real Captain Marvel!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L