superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:18:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DVD: Popeye the Sailor Volume 1: 1933-1938 7.31.2007  (Read 5171 times)
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« on: April 16, 2007, 05:12:18 PM »

More Fleischer greatness   Grin

http://tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=7112

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/wp-content/uploads/popeyeblad1.jpg

As a kid, I remember Popeye eating spinach then whistling out of his eye! I recall laughing and thinking that's crazy. I'm sold.   

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 05:23:51 PM »

I'm on board for this, too.

Speaking of odd childhood memories, I used to watch one of those afternoon kid shows built around the Fleischer Popeyes, and connecting them were little vignettes starring real kids.  I recall one had a bully terrorizing a little girl on her daily walk home from school, until she dug into a can of spinach, punched the bully in the bean and sent him hurtling from the sidewalk, up about 30 feet into the air and through the window of an abandoned house.

Yikes.  I'm no fan of the censorship of cartoons that happened in the early 70s, but it wasn't too hard to see where parents' groups might've been disturbed by skits like this, which showed a pretty fundamental understanding of Popeye's appeal...and it wasn't his singing.  Cheesy

This looks like a job for...
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 07:40:07 PM »

It's been a priveledge of mine, several times in my life, to encounter some people that worked in the Fleischer Studios here in South Florida and Miami, where the studio was based.

Amusingly, the Biltmore Hotel (the very same "haunted" hotel where, according to Hollywood legend, a young Desi Arnaz met a pretty redhead named Lucille) periodically has reunions of the Fleischer Studios workers in the ballroom. A friend of mine and I have been talking about crashing it for years. One thing is certain: we'll bring a cell-phone camera.  Grin

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 11:49:52 PM »

These are the holy grails of animation DVDS!

I have been waiting for these since DVDs 1st appeared.

and his singing was pretty sweet Wink

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 02:48:15 PM »

Alright!  Cheesy

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 07:53:59 PM »

and his singing was pretty sweet

My favorite bits were the little mumbled mutterings Popeye would make under his breath.  Some of them were hilarious and they always seemed ad-libbed.  Every now and then he'd even put down Olive Oyl with his grumblings, which was always fun as I liked her even less than I did Lois Lane.

This looks like a job for...
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 11:44:50 PM »

I believe that they were ad-libbed, the 1st and only time it's happen in cartoons.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Composite Superman
Supermen of America

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 01:26:46 AM »

Popeye was probably my favorite cartoon character as a kid (animated, not comic book). I still occasionally hum the theme, especially when I'm in a good mood.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L