superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:22:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bronze age.  (Read 18699 times)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2007, 01:07:54 AM »

What, my grandfather didn't fight in "World War I" in 1917?  Grin

The only problem is that while the comics ages are defined after the fact, so are the decades and other eras - the 60s for instance were really not typified by protests and hippies until the last few years and that tone lasted until around the Ford presidency.  I didn't wear bell bottoms until 1971.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 02:49:27 AM by MatterEaterLad » Logged
jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2007, 02:08:54 AM »

That's right about when I got my first pair !   I was born in 1959 so I'm assuming you're close to my age.

IMO, the "fifties"  ended when The Beatles arrived, and the "sixties" ended when Nixon resigned.

The "seventies" pretty much ended when they were supposed to.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2007, 02:48:48 AM »

That's right about when I got my first pair !   I was born in 1959 so I'm assuming you're close to my age.

IMO, the "fifties"  ended when The Beatles arrived, and the "sixties" ended when Nixon resigned.

The "seventies" pretty much ended when they were supposed to.

LOL... Grin

I was born in February of 61, so it looks like you, me, and Klar are some of the few here that remember the Silver/Bronze transition as it happened.
Ruby Spears Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2007, 02:59:29 AM »

I kind of wonder if the "Bronze Age" really exists. The difference between the Golden and Silver Ages is largely a historical difference in terms of Superman's history. In the Golden Age, Superman never was a Superboy and he didn't "develop" powers, all Kryptonians naturally had them. The Silver Age had all of these other things that the Golden Age didn't as far as his history is concerned. The additions that are talked about that are considered part of the Bronze Age are mostly just that, additions. With the exception of how his parents died and how he changed his name in college, the Bronze Age history is basically the Silver Age history with new stuff added on.

The Sandman Saga and other defining stories from that era took place in the same continuity as the Silver Age stories. This is the profound difference between this transition and the others that came before or since. Bare in mind that there is no general concensus on when things like the Silver Age even began. Many people say, for Superman, it was in 1958; but Krypto, a major recurring character, was introduced in 1955. Couple that with the fact that it is unclear whether every story ever published counts as continuity, as some have suggested. Let's be honest, the pre-crisis Superman may have been intended to be a continuity, but it certainly could have been handled better.
jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2007, 05:16:37 AM »

Speaking of the Silver/Bronze transition ,I recall not liking the changes so much, and my favorites during those times were the 80-page Giants with all the reprints, and when the Jimmy Olsen/Lois Lane/Supergirl switched to Superman Family for the same reason
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 05:18:49 AM by jamespup » Logged
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2007, 05:20:01 AM »

Since I am a bit younger, my grandfather's uncle fought in WW1 for the US.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2007, 05:32:05 AM »

Both my father and mother were the youngest in their family (my fathers sister was 20 years older than him , born in 1907  and her husband bought my father a copy of the New York Worlds Fair comic ! ) and my father's father was born in 1883 !

To give some perspective, my father used to save up a penny at a time to buy comic books.  But the Worlds Fair comic with its higher cover price was a bit out of his reach ,  so he was always grateful to Uncle Nick for doing that

jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2007, 05:45:36 AM »

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but is it the consensus that the ending point of the Golden Age
for Superman is when Siegel and Shuster no longer were involved in its production?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L