superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:43:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman Comics Continuity “Post-Infinite Crisis”  (Read 8651 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 04:58:39 PM »

I think Superman Homepage is letting Busiek and DC off the hook a little too easily, Busiek and DC aren't stupid, they know what fans want to know and it sounds like they are just trying to skirt the issue. I don't like this idea of "You'll find it all out later", it sounds like their trying to avoid something.
They -are- trying to avoid something -- having to totally reinvent the past all at once just to be able to tell new stories.

I think DC is handling this the right way.

Every attempt to tell Superman's origin as a stand-alone story - from the World of Krypton and Krypton Chronicles mini-serieses, up through Man of Steel and even the pure genius of Birthright - has gone over like a lead balloon.  Sure, MOS was popular at the time, but we're still trying to recover from the fallout.

Yet the 1930s, 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s methods of just revealing it as backstory worked just fine.

Even in Superman's first appearance, his origin was just a one-page flashback.

If DC told Superman's new origin as some sort of mega-event, no matter how good or bad the resulting mini-series, one-shot, or graphic novel; no matter how old or new the continuity; I guarantee that hordes of people would object it, forcing DC to back-pedal yet again.

You've got to get people used to his new continuity, maybe even getting them to want to know more about it, before you tell what it is.

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 05:02:14 PM »

This is the question you must ask yourself: Does not knowing the complete life story of the Post-IC Superman take away from your enjoyment of the current books?

It doesn't bother me. The stories have all been a solid, enjoyable read. And there have been bits and pieces of information released.

Examples:

Superman had a prior career as an uncostumed Super-Boy.

Krypton is more like the one presented in the Donner films as is the current fortress with some Silver Age features added in.

Superman's previous Fortress of Solitude utilized a giant, golden key. (Put two and two together on that one)

Before Jor-El's time, Krypton was a galactic powerhouse and invaded and possibly colonized planets.

A young Clark Kent met Mon-El and placed him in the Phantom Zone.

Superman died at the hands of Doomsday and returned.

Superman has statues of the LOSH in his Fortress, has a flight ring, recognized the Karate Kid, and has files on him in the Fortress. (Again, put two and two together)

The Four Supermen are still in continuity.

The Pocket Universe has been retconned.

Nonsense like Torquasm-Vo and Torquasm-Rao is gone.

The multiverse still exists.

And the sky is blue.
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007, 05:20:58 PM »

This is the question you must ask yourself: Does not knowing the complete life story of the Post-IC Superman take away from your enjoyment of the current books?

You're quite right; it certainly hasn't detracted from my enjoyment of the books (and by and large, I've really been enjoying them lately). I see my best friend almost every day and we often exchange anecdotes and do the crossword and so on (as you can see we are two very adventurous characters), but obviously I don't have to remember everything I know about him to enjoy his company. In fact, I'm not even sure I can remember what year he was born in.

The way they've revamped Superman most recently is quite clever, really: they're saying "Look, if you missed out on a few issues, no problem. He still flies and all that, what more do you need to know?"

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 09:36:40 PM »

When was that established?
alschroeder
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 09:55:44 PM »

There's continuity post-Crisis?
*Grin*
I dunno...it's hard to be interested in something that you know might be wiped out by the next editorial fiat.
Perhaps continuity was too confining---but if that was the case---then why do they endlessly recreate new riffs on old stories? (I'm thinking of Byrne's retelling of the Bizarro and Lori Lemaris stories, for instance, or having a Supergirl come to earth---again---in Superman/Batman.)
I'm expecting more of the same with THIS reboot.
Whoever said, "Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it" must have been a comic collector.
   --Al
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 09:59:13 PM by alschroeder » Logged

Al Schroeder III, former letterhack (met his wife through Julie Schwartz' lettercolumns) of MINDMISTRESS http://mindmistress.comicgenesis.com---think the superhero genre is mined out? Think there are no new superhero ideas?

Think again.
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2007, 12:02:07 AM »

When was that established?

Kurt said as much at Alvaro's. The post is in the archives at the Superman board.
Ruby Spears Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2007, 02:19:06 AM »

There's continuity post-Crisis?
*Grin*
I dunno...it's hard to be interested in something that you know might be wiped out by the next editorial fiat.

This is my concern. DC has rewritten history so many times that I've gotten to a point where I just don't trust them. This is the biggest problem with revealing stuff over time. When you have a track record of constant reboots, your asking people to give you trust you haven't earned yet. I guess I just like simplicity.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 03:13:55 AM by Great Rao » Logged
DoctorZero
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2007, 12:07:51 AM »

They haven't answered because they don't know what the answers are.

They will do what they've always done, which is to make things up as they go along.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L