superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:41:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Captain Thunder and Superman 276  (Read 17104 times)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2007, 07:51:14 AM »

I still think it's sad that Beck retroactively and shamelessly tried to justify his actions without acknowledging how ludicrous he sounded.  I realize that this (the portrayal of Steamboat and other characters of colour) was very typical, and not limited to comic books and strips. 

Still, I'd hate to see this history "whitewashed".  And if I thought that parsing the various racist sidekicks into "least offensive" was in any way meaningful, I might even venture that in terms of character at least, Steamboat trumps The Spirit's Ebony and Blackhawk's Chop-Chop (I like Chaykin's Chop-Chop, though).

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2007, 10:23:55 PM »

Jack Kirby also created a similar character in Whitewash during the same time period. see here: http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/y/youngallies.htm

Sadly it was far too common at the time.

The Young Allies with Whitewash looks a lot like the Newsboy Legion with Flippa-Dippa.  Flippa, however, was introduced in 1970.  Would he be considered a racist character?

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2007, 11:59:57 PM »

Jack Kirby also created a similar character in Whitewash during the same time period. see here: http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/y/youngallies.htm

Sadly it was far too common at the time.

The Young Allies with Whitewash looks a lot like the Newsboy Legion with Flippa-Dippa.  Flippa, however, was introduced in 1970.  Would he be considered a racist character?

No, his gimmick is based on the fact that he liked scuba diving, the old racist stereotype about blacks was that they can't swim. He was also created as a "cool" character, so he was not stereotype.

Whitewash however... http://www.sequart.com/columns/?column=1893

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2007, 03:39:33 AM »

No, his gimmick is based on the fact that he liked scuba diving, the old racist stereotype about blacks was that they can't swim. He was also created as a "cool" character, so he was not stereotype.

Whitewash however... http://www.sequart.com/columns/?column=1893

I wasn't offended by Flippa----thought he was there to give the revived Newsboys some ethnic diversity...

I admit I don't know how to swim, but never knew until now there was some sort of stereotype about it (not going to ponder where such a notion came from, and probably don't even want to know...).

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2007, 04:11:42 AM »

read this:

http://blackvoices.aol.com/black_news/headlines_features/canvas_news_articles/_a/pride-and-prejudice-black-people-can/20070117115409990001

« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 04:17:19 AM by Super Monkey » Logged

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2007, 01:08:16 PM »

Then there’s the centuries-old myth that blacks and water don’t mix. Studies from as late as the 1960s suggested that blacks had a unique buoyancy problem that prevented them from being competent swimmers. The studies were later discredited, but not before some people took the findings as gospel.

Well, so much for "probably don't even want to know"... :-p

I did grow up near a lake, plus swim class was required in high schools in my state (which I barely got a passing grade in... ;-) ).

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2007, 05:20:47 PM »

This myth, like all stereotypes is sooo stupid, that it is amazing that people actually believed it and some still do, even some congressmen..
see: http://digg.com/videos/people/Congressman_Blacks_Can_t_Swim

- Elliot S! Maggin
jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2007, 01:09:51 AM »

Well, it's like being Canadian doesn't make you a better Hockey player

It's just so much harder to practice in a non-frozen area

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L