superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:17:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does Grant Morrison "own" A-SS?  (Read 11493 times)
Ruby Spears Superman
Superman Family

« on: April 23, 2007, 02:35:20 AM »

How much control does Morrison have over this series? I imagine since DC owns Superman they can kick him off at any time (as much of a mistake as that would be). So who gets to decide where the direction of this series goes? So far it looks like he gets complete freedom in terms of what happens but I'm sure he still has to answer to somebody. There is already talk of Quitely leaving, what if Morrison gets bored with it after a time? Is this "Grant Morrisons take on Superman" or is this series just something that can be handed off to anybody? I don't know the backstory on this series so I don't really know what the arrangement is.

If Morrison does leave, what is the likely hood that they will handle it the same way they handled Sandman after Gaiman left? Just pull the plug on it and move on?
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 05:07:40 AM »

They will both leave after issue #12.

Morrison has said that he doesn't want to do the book with anyone other than Quitely.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 08:16:31 PM »

It's been a long time since the "All-Star" projects were announced (don't be fooled by DC's inability to get more than a handful of issues of either title on the stands...they were announced a looong time ago) but my understanding was that they always planned to have rotating creative teams on the books.  The selling point was that the stories told therein would be independent not only of "official" DC continuity but even of continuity from one team to the next, freeing the creators to get...well, creative...and making the books more appealing to new readers not interested in wading through volumes of backstory just to know what's going on. 

In other words, I don't think the book is called "All-Star" because DC is putting Morrison and Quitely on a pedestal above the other Superman writers and artists.  I think the idea was that each teaming on the book would pair a "name" writer and "name" artist, the kind of creators who might have Superman stories to tell but would never commit to a long-term hitch on the regular books.

Of course, the "All-Star" books are redefining just what "long term" means, but that's another rant...

This looks like a job for...
Ruby Spears Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 01:11:06 AM »

I asked a friend of mine the same question today and that's basically what he said. Does anybody know who takes over after Morrison leaves?
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 01:16:46 AM »

nope!

At this rate, it is still pretty far off in the future Wink

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 01:31:16 AM »

Personally I hope they don't announce the next team until Morrison and Quitely are done.  Announcing things like that might build anticipation for the "next big thing," but it also conveys a "lame duck" status to the guys doing the book NOW.

Also, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the whole series ends with the last issue of their run.  DC's inability to get this book out on time is just embarassing, but if they end with #12 they manage to save some face by calling it a "special project" (one that's already won one Eisner award and is nominated for another) instead of just another monthly that became a bi-monthly, then a quarterly, and so on.

The Batman book is even more of a train wreck, as it started before Superman and to date has published less issues!  Plus, it's absolute garbage (hey, there's a cool title for the oversized hardback!) and it officially puts the success rate of this two-title venture at a dismal 50%.  There's got to be a temptation to cut their losses and drop the whole "All-Star" banner once these series wrap up...if ever.  I think it's telling that there's been no expansion of the "All-Star" line to include any other characters, like a certain Amazon for instance, or the JLA.  I'm betting we've seen the only books that will ever be in this line, and their days are numbered.

This looks like a job for...
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 07:41:47 AM »

The Batman book is even more of a train wreck, as it started before Superman and to date has published less issues!  Plus, it's absolute garbage (hey, there's a cool title for the oversized hardback!)

My vote is for "Absolute Guano".

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 08:40:15 AM »

I thought the All-Star titles were just supposed to be limited 12-issue series. I wouldn't mind it if All-Star Superman went on beyond #12, provided that a good writer/artist team could be found, but you know it's just going to deteriorate. Wasn't Legends of the Dark Knight supposed to be a title that only employed "quality" talent (almost as if DC were admitting that they usually employ hacks)? I haven't read it in centuries, but I seem to remember it hit the skids pretty quickly.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L