superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:22:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does Grant Morrison "own" A-SS?  (Read 11504 times)
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 01:06:09 PM »

Permanus writes:

I thought the All-Star titles were just supposed to be limited 12-issue series. I wouldn't mind it if All-Star Superman went on beyond #12, provided that a good writer/artist team could be found, but you know it's just going to deteriorate. Wasn't Legends of the Dark Knight supposed to be a title that only employed "quality" talent (almost as if DC were admitting that they usually employ hacks)? I haven't read it in centuries, but I seem to remember it hit the skids pretty quickly.

LOTDK lasted over 150 issues, if memory serves, though I admit it started a lot stronger than it finished.  The problem, in my opinion, was that the book was pitched as a place to tell "untold" stories from throughout Batman's career (including his future) but quickly settled in to a "Year One" rut and rarely got out.  And many of the stories could just as easily have fit in any other bat-book.

As far as "quality" talent goes, don't forget DC fought tooth and nail against putting "name" creators on Superman (and I guess Batman) for years there, and I think the "All-Star" books were at first envisioned as a way to get such luminaries on the characters without breaking the "no stars" policy.  Of course in the time since the books were launched, DC has reversed course and put such big names as Richard Donner, Geoff Johns, Kurt Busiek and the Kuberts on the "regular" books...

As to the "A-S" books being limited to 12 issues, I really don't think that was the original intent, or else they'd have named them something else, something that reflected the specific contents.

This looks like a job for...
The Spider
Supermen of America

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 06:41:08 PM »

I think it's telling that there's been no expansion of the "All-Star" line to include any other characters, like a certain Amazon for instance, or the JLA.  I'm betting we've seen the only books that will ever be in this line, and their days are numbered.

They did announce All-Star Batgirl (by Geoff Johns and JG Jones) and All-Star Wonder Woman (written and drawn by Adam Hughes), but they haven't been solicited yet, probably for pretty obvious reasons.
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 12:47:33 AM »

As far as "quality" talent goes, don't forget DC fought tooth and nail against putting "name" creators on Superman (and I guess Batman) for years there, and I think the "All-Star" books were at first envisioned as a way to get such luminaries on the characters without breaking the "no stars" policy.  Of course in the time since the books were launched, DC has reversed course and put such big names as Richard Donner, Geoff Johns, Kurt Busiek and the Kuberts on the "regular" books...

Aaah, I get it now, thanks. I like the idea of having a sort of extra-continuity title (at the risk of bringing down the wrath of JulianPerez).

I didn't know that DC had a policy of keeping "name" creators off. Bloody stupid, if you ask me, Curt Swan's artwork must have sold a lot of comics back in the day. I suppose they think that people buy a title based on the character, not the artist. They're probably right, too, they've got market research people. I sometimes pick up Firestorm, though it is badly written and drawn, just because I like the character. Got to stop doing that.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Ruby Spears Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 02:41:38 AM »

I was told that the reason that ASS always came out late or at odd times had more to do with Quietly's art style. He likes to take his time with his drawings and apparently that wasn't something he got to do on X-Men since it was a regular title. I guess Morrison isn't the only one who got creative freedom on this title.   
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L