superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:38:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Secret of 52 Revealed! Update  (Read 26784 times)
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 10:02:51 PM »

So, hang on, does this mean that Captain Marvel and Co. no longer live in the same universe as Superman, and Blue Beetle lives on Earth-4 and so on? I'm completely lost. It's like listening to my girlfriend when she comes back from the hairdresser's and I have to pretend I know what she is talking about.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2007, 10:56:30 PM »

Perhaps the Jeff Smith Captain Marvel lives on Earth-5; while the new guy in the hoodie lives on Earth-DC.

I notice that Earth-1 is conspicuously absent from that list.  Is the current Earth-DC considered an altered Earth-1, or is Earth-1 something different?  Or did it now never exist?  Maybe it had to be erased because of the existence of Superboy.  Given that the current Superman seems to have now had a history with the Earth-1 Legion, I'm speculating that the new Superman incorporates his Earth-1 counterpart.

And talk about complex!  Not only was there a pre-Crisis Earth-2, there is now also a post-Infinite-Crisis Earth-2.  So all those pre-Crisis Earth-2 stories may or may not have actually taken place on the post-Infinite-Crisis Earth-2; and if they did, they probably happened in a different manner from what you actually read.

I'm glad I'm as old as I am or I'd never be able to keep it all straight!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 11:30:33 PM »

Perhaps the Jeff Smith Captain Marvel lives on Earth-5; while the new guy in the hoodie lives on Earth-DC.

I notice that Earth-1 is conspicuously absent from that list.  Is the current Earth-DC considered an altered Earth-1, or is Earth-1 something different?  Or did it now never exist?  Maybe it had to be erased because of the existence of Superboy.  Given that the current Superman seems to have now had a history with the Earth-1 Legion, I'm speculating that the new Superman incorporates his Earth-1 counterpart.

And talk about complex!  Not only was there a pre-Crisis Earth-2, there is now also a post-Infinite-Crisis Earth-2.  So all those pre-Crisis Earth-2 stories may or may not have actually taken place on the post-Infinite-Crisis Earth-2; and if they did, they probably happened in a different manner from what you actually read.

I'm glad I'm as old as I am or I'd never be able to keep it all straight!

mazingman728 answered some questions

About Earth-2:

Sorry, I forgot to answer this part. The JSA that we see is Flash (in a black uniform and not red) Robin, Wonder Woman, Huntress, Atom, Jade, Obsidian, Green Lantern and Dr. Fate. Huntress is holding up a copy of the Gothan Gazette with the headline article "Kryptonians Still Missing" with a picture of Superman and Power Girl.

New Multiverse theory:

The Multiverse was created when all of the Earths combined to make New Earth.

Rip: "The broken Earths collapsed back together, combining historical remnants to form one New Earth--One far to small to contain the energy within it. In a cosmic act of self-preservation, as you just saw, it began to replicating. Unknown to anyone save myself, a New Multiverse was born in the wake of this Crisis."

It was Mr. Mind eating time that caused the Earths to become differant and not exact copies of each other.

At the end Mr. Mind is back to his caterpillar form which stopped the cycle.

Charlton Q/A

Q: Another Blue Beetle! Is it Ted or Dan!

A: It looks like Dan as he is in the old costume as is Captain Atom. Peacemaker is also there but you will have to look for him.

Wildstorm Reveal

It's only one panel where you will see the Wildstorm characters but they are Fairchild, Rainmaker, Burnout, Mr. Majestic, Zealot, Voodoo, Maul and Grifter fighting some Daemonites.

Boy, it will take sometime to understand multiple versions of Legion, Captain Marvel, and Superman again etc..... Oh wait, silly me. Another 52 week maxiseries titled Countdown is leading toward another big extended crossover event.... Crisis on 52 Earths!  Cheesy   
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 11:57:04 PM by Michel Weisnor » Logged

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2007, 12:04:39 AM »

Another 52 week maxiseries titled Countdown is leading toward another big extended crossover event.... Crisis on 52 Earths!  Cheesy   

Very funny --I could almost imagine this.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
carmelo
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2007, 01:06:47 AM »

Confirmed "New" Earths

Earth 2 = Golden Age

Earth 3 = Crime Syndicate of Amerika

Earth 4 = Charlton

Earth 5 = Captain Marvel & Family

Earth 10 = Freedom Fighters

Earth 22 = Kingdom Come

Earth 50 = Wildstorm

Hei! where is my Silver age 50-60 style earth?? Huh? Huh?
Superman of America
Superman Family

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2007, 02:24:47 AM »

Let's go crazy! We need more Earths! Earth B, Tangent Earth, Earth Crossover, Earth Zero, Earth Hippie(Prez, Brother Power, & Love Syndicate of Dreamworld), The Earth where Lois Lane was Supermaid, The Earth where Superman & Batman were adopted brothers, The Earth where Superman landed in Gotham instead of Smallville, The Earth where Lex was FROM Krypton & Clark was a wanted Criminal, The Earth where Superman was Bruce Wayne & Robin was his partner and Vicky Vale looks like Lois, Etc, Etc! The possibilities are....INFINITE!!! Grin
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 06:00:01 AM by Superman of America » Logged

Superman of America: America's No.1 Sunshine Superman!
jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2007, 11:59:29 AM »

Take a look at all the different Batmans (Batmen?) in JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #8

I think there are an infinite number of worlds, or a really large finite number

Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2007, 04:01:42 PM »

This whole thread brings me back to a previous discussion about the new multiverse. Remember back in Ion #10 this quote:

"So many worlds. Why shouldn't they all get a chance to live?" - Captain Atom (Monarch)

What did Captain Atom mean? According to 52, there is now a multiverse of only 52 distinct universes, no more no less. We also know the Book of Eternity continues rewriting itself, the Tangent Universe exists, Bronze Age Legion of Superheroes are back in Superman's continuity, Superboy-Prime is still a leftover from the original Crisis, the Bleed connects universes together, and at some point, all universes contain analogous versions of Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman.

I believe post-Countdown, the next Crisis crossover will deal with Captain Atom's statement, the Monitors, all 52 universe, and the realization this multiverse is part of something much bigger than first realized. Frankly, the only way to write this correctly is to revise Crisis on Infinite Earths. 

Update

Okay, I read 52 #52. Earth-17 is a weird medieval post-apocalyptic world with armored knights riding albino mutant horses. Earth-3 is an updated pre-crisis Earth-3 with a CSA Martian Manhunter. Earth-10 resembles pre-crisis Earth-X with Freedom Fighters battling a Nazi Justice League of America. Earth-50 is Wildstorm (WS fans must love that). Earth-5 is the very Fawcett Marvel Family battling Mr. Atom with Uncle Dudley and Mister Tawky Tawny looking on. A poorly painted Kingdom Come Earth resides in Universe-22. Earth-2 appears to be a continuation of pre-crisis Earth-2. Charlton Comics' The Question, Nightshade, Dan Garret Blue Beetle, Captain Atom, Judomaster, and Peacemaker all reside on Earth-4. New Earth, current DCU "clutter" Earth is pretty much Earth 52 with other Earths designated Earths 1-51.

One confusing scene, at least to me, is when Booster Gold travels back in time to "borrow" Ted Kord's scarab. The place is New Earth but it's one day after Crisis on Infinite Earths. I don't remember post-crisis Earth being designated this way. I thought it was a post-IC thing.

Possible spoiler for Countdown or next Crisis

http://romney.homestead.com/files/Megaverse.jpg

Update 2

Booster Gold, don't you just love saying it?

http://www.wizarduniverse.com/magazine/wizard/004446523.cfm

http://wizarduniverse.com/_images_/004446/BoosterGold1.jpg

Wizards 52 Roundup with Pics

http://www.wizarduniverse.com/magazine/wizard/004448945.cfm

1) "EARTH-1: The so-called “new Earth” is pretty much the DCU we’ve known since the end of Crisis on Infinite Earths with a few key tweaks (Wonder Woman as a JLA founder, etc.)."

That is not what is implied in 52 #52. Rip Hunter states, " Together we are the only ones that can save New Earth and Earths 1-51..." According to Rip's quote, New Earth may as well be Earth-52. DC would never change a comic already printed.

http://jigsawmen.googlepages.com/thecollectededition

Cheesy

2) “There was some resistance to bringing the multiverse back from the boss, but we felt that it was more about the idea that we would keep our Earth intact and doing something new instead of going backwards,” expounded Johns. “You could do lines and specials and miniseries about what these other universes are like. For example, Mark’s a big proponent of thinking the Marvel Family works best in its own reality. And now I want to see him do that.”

Dan Didio must be the boss. You know, I don't believe DC intended to bring back the multiverse until after Infinite Crisis finished. See collected edition link above.

To Mr Johns: Moving forward instead of going backwards creates more confusion or vice versa.  Tongue

There is possibilty of Mark Waid writing a Captain Marvel Earth-5 book?!      
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 01:16:55 AM by Michel Weisnor » Logged

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L