superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:08:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Secret of 52 Revealed! Update  (Read 26717 times)
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2007, 02:11:34 PM »

Two questions: 1-where is Will Eisner's Spirit? on Earth-2 with golden age heroes  or on Earth-5 ?

Neither.  Though logically his clone, Midnight (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_(DC_Comics)) should be on Earth-10 (aka Earth-X, aka Earth-Swastika) with his fellow Quality alums Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fighters.

2- the Earth of Timely-Marvel characters is in those 52 Earths?

It would be nice if they left a few Earths unexplored, leaving open at least the possibility of an "Earth-Crossover", where all those otherwise inexplicable Marvel/DC teamings could occur.

And if anyone have a friend in DC comics...please i want my Weisenger silver age earth (Earth 6,like 60s or Earth 50 like 50s are good for me). Thanks.

Again, it's always possible they're on a world we'll never see.  But it looks like the "Earth-2" glimpsed here is not really the pre-Crisis model, just as all the others are close, but not quite the same.  I gather what we've gotten is not a return of the Multiverse so much as the creation of a new one.  Thus, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a "Silver Age"-ish Earth that approximates the SA we knew, but through the lens of modern storytelling.  Like the alternate Earths in Alan Moore's "Tom Strong," it will be merely a distorted reflection of what used to be.

I still have some questions:

- Are we saying there's an "Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fighters" on New Earth as well as on Earth-10?
- Similarly, and I guess more importantly, was there now ever a JSA on New Earth before the JLA, or did the JSA operate on this new "Earth-2" originally, restoring Batman's status as first costumed defender of Gotham and Superman's status as first and greatest superhero, period?
- OR, are we saying there's the New Earth JSA **AND** an Earth-2 JSA?  Where did that Jay Garrick get his black costume, for example?
- Okay, I guess these are all the same question, but do we have a "Trials of Shazam" Marvel Family on New Earth and a Jeff Smith/CC Beck/Don Newton version on Earth-5?
- Did we have a Blue Beetle on New Earth who got his brains blown out and a Booster Gold who got blown up or were they ret-conned away already?  Are those versions on Earth-Charlton them or someone else?

I just think it's funny that one of the big reasons they dumped the Multiverse in the first place was that a handful of characters were duplicated on multiple Earths...Supes, Bats, Wondy and (in name only) Hawkman, GL, Flash and Atom. Making it, the argument went, too confusing for new readers to keep up.  But now with this "new improved Multiverse," we have dozens, maybe scores of duplicate characters.  And speaking as someone who never had a problem keeping up with told Multiverse, I'm already totally confused with the new one.

This looks like a job for...
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2007, 04:15:04 PM »

Two questions: 1-where is Will Eisner's Spirit? on Earth-2 with golden age heroes  or on Earth-5 ?

Neither.  Though logically his clone, Midnight (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_(DC_Comics)) should be on Earth-10 (aka Earth-X, aka Earth-Swastika) with his fellow Quality alums Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fighters.

2- the Earth of Timely-Marvel characters is in those 52 Earths?

It would be nice if they left a few Earths unexplored, leaving open at least the possibility of an "Earth-Crossover", where all those otherwise inexplicable Marvel/DC teamings could occur.

And if anyone have a friend in DC comics...please i want my Weisenger silver age earth (Earth 6,like 60s or Earth 50 like 50s are good for me). Thanks.

Again, it's always possible they're on a world we'll never see.  But it looks like the "Earth-2" glimpsed here is not really the pre-Crisis model, just as all the others are close, but not quite the same.  I gather what we've gotten is not a return of the Multiverse so much as the creation of a new one.  Thus, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a "Silver Age"-ish Earth that approximates the SA we knew, but through the lens of modern storytelling.  Like the alternate Earths in Alan Moore's "Tom Strong," it will be merely a distorted reflection of what used to be.

I still have some questions:

- Are we saying there's an "Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fighters" on New Earth as well as on Earth-10?
- Similarly, and I guess more importantly, was there now ever a JSA on New Earth before the JLA, or did the JSA operate on this new "Earth-2" originally, restoring Batman's status as first costumed defender of Gotham and Superman's status as first and greatest superhero, period?
- OR, are we saying there's the New Earth JSA **AND** an Earth-2 JSA?  Where did that Jay Garrick get his black costume, for example?
- Okay, I guess these are all the same question, but do we have a "Trials of Shazam" Marvel Family on New Earth and a Jeff Smith/CC Beck/Don Newton version on Earth-5?
- Did we have a Blue Beetle on New Earth who got his brains blown out and a Booster Gold who got blown up or were they ret-conned away already?  Are those versions on Earth-Charlton them or someone else?

I just think it's funny that one of the big reasons they dumped the Multiverse in the first place was that a handful of characters were duplicated on multiple Earths...Supes, Bats, Wondy and (in name only) Hawkman, GL, Flash and Atom. Making it, the argument went, too confusing for new readers to keep up.  But now with this "new improved Multiverse," we have dozens, maybe scores of duplicate characters.  And speaking as someone who never had a problem keeping up with told Multiverse, I'm already totally confused with the new one.

New Earth is now the core DC world. It's modern day DCU Earth with all characters existing on one planet. As mentioned, think of it as "Clutter Earth". This Earth's continuity really begins with the end of Crisis on Infinite Earths with some tweaks. JSA first Superhero team minus Batman & Superman, legacy characters (Montoya Question & Rusch Firestorm etc), Trinity now founding members of JLA, and Brave New World changes (Uncle Sam & Trials of SHAZAM!) take place on New Earth. 

New Earth-2 probably first appeared in Infinite Crisis #4. This is where the Flashes tried to imprison Superboy-Prime. I'm grasping at straws here but I'm basing this assumption off Jay Garrick's black Flash suit (Flash issue 6). Judging by the picture, New Earth-2's continuity probably resembles the GA style original: Superman first and greatest, Batman first costumed, JSA first team, no JLA, Batman's dead, and Superman, Lois Lane, & Power Girl missing since Crisis. Maybe, when E-2 Superman wakes up (JSA Preview), the three will return to Earth-2.  Wink

New Earth Ted Kord is still dead. New Earth-4's Blue Beetle costume resembles Dan Garret's version. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Now, here is where the rubber meets the road. Back in Paul Levitz recent JSA run, E-2 Batman's Ghost talks with New Earth counterparts?! In the current League/Society crossover, where does Silver/Bronze Era Legion of Superheroes fit into New Earth continuity? Is this Legion missplaced? If so, why does Superman remember this Legion team? Recall, the current New Earth Legion continuity is Mark Waid's Legion. Isn't it? In Justice League #0, another Earth is discovered with Bronze Era looking JLA and JSA superheroes. Confused yet? Well, how about the current Action Comics and Superman titles, do they take place on separate Earths? Plus, you cannot tell me Grant Morrison's Batman and Paul Dini's version are in the same continuity.  Welcome to the new multiverse, enjoy the ride.  Grin       

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
carmelo
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2007, 06:57:06 PM »

But Will Eisner 's Spirit is not a character of DC comics now?        http://www.comicbookbin.com/thespirit200704.html                                                                                  
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 07:01:32 PM by carmelo » Logged
DoctorZero
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2007, 09:31:01 PM »

I think there are going to be undoubtely some bumps in the road.  The Earth 2 JSA looks like the Levitz JSA from All Star Comics revival and Adventure Comics.  Kammandi probably exists as well as the follow up to the Atomic Knights. 

My feeling is that we will eventually learn that the earths in the new Multiverse are very similar to those in the original multiverse, but maybe with some changes here and there.  It restores the originals in some form.

Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2007, 10:06:09 PM »

But Will Eisner 's Spirit is not a character of DC comics now?        http://www.comicbookbin.com/thespirit200704.html                                                                                  

The Spirit doesn't need to be in one universe or the other, he needs to be in well-written stories. Much to my disappointment, this isn't happening in the new series. A good Spirit story has him appearing on page 7, completely baffled. Darwyn Cooke doesn't get the idea: it's not the joke, it's how you tell it.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2007, 11:35:14 PM »

More revelations more questions

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=111427

New Earth is pretty much Earth 52. DC staff have not called it Earth 52 but it obviously is this number. It gives me hope New Earth 1 is well Earth 1. See The Lightning Saga?!

If anyone is familiar with Warren Ellis' Wildstorm years, his writing appears a major influence on the current multiverse or maybe Shocked Marvel's multiverse. Although, readers know what Universe they are reading. 

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2007, 01:15:56 AM »

I hope that All-Star Superman gets his own Earth.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Just a fan
Superman Family

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2007, 04:37:56 AM »

On which of these earths do you think Clark and Lois are married? Would there be any offspring? How about Bruce and Catwoman?

No man stands as tall as when he stoops to help a child
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L