superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonSUPER FRIENDS DVD!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:02:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Superman the most well-known/recognized fictional character worldwide?  (Read 14024 times)
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2007, 01:45:39 PM »

Kronicpimp writes:

If WB keeps producing Superman movies, the series may go through the 007-style actor change thing as well.

Well, there have already been as many Superman actors as Bond actors, but my point is Superman has that costume; you can put pretty much any good-looking guy in it and people will know he's Superman.  On the other hand, what makes James Bond James Bond?  A tuxedo?  Anyone can wear a tux...no one confused Burt Parks or Myron Floren for 007.  You need to add the gun, the pose, the music and other trappings before people know it's "Bond," whereas with Superman you just need the costume.  And not even all of it...an "S" peeping out from an open shirt will do it.  Bond doesn't have anywhere near that level of recognition.  Even the "007" logo can't come close to the Big Red S.

Gangerbuster has listed some examples of how Supes has obtained/maintained a higher position on the list non-storyline wise. Does anyone have their own reasons as to how he has also managed to do the same, but storyline-wise (especially compared to other characters)- includings aspects of his story that appeals to the world population, and if he IS at the top of the list?

I don't think ANY character becomes most recognized based on his "storyline."  Millions of people know Spider-Man but don't even know he's married, much less to whom.  Millions know Dick Tracy, but they couldn't tell you how he finished off Flat-Top.  The really immortal characters can be boiled down to one simple premise that's more important than all the piled-on, byzantine continuity of 40 years of X-Men.

Robin Hood: steals from the rich, gives to the poor
Sherlock Holmes: solves mysteries that leave the police baffled
King Arthur: pulls the sword from the stone and unites Britain under one kingdom

And so on.  Of course they're all British heroes.  Cheesy  But Superman is the same: he's strong, he can fly, bullets bounce off him, he fights crime and saves lives.  All the rest, however much it may interest us here, is added on and not that important in terms of keeping Superman "recognizable" and universal.

If you're asking what is it about the character in terms of concept vs. visuals that makes him resonate with people around the world, I'd have to say it's two things: one, he's got super-powers we all wish we had and two, he uses them to help mankind, which makes him a role model.  It's not a lot deeper or more complex than that, if you ask me.  The "super-immigrant" thing, the "orphan boy makes good" appeal, the Biblical parallels are all nice and all there if you want to look for them, but they're secondary at best.  Bottom line is we all wish we were as smart as Holmes, as cool as Bond, as fearless and cunning as Odysseus, and as strong and virtuous as Superman.  The "storylines" may keep us coming back, but they're generally not what hooked us in the first place.

This looks like a job for...
ShinDangaioh
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2007, 12:13:30 AM »

The iconic heroes:
Superman(Well, anyone in a super-outfit)
Batman(same deal)
Robin Hood
Zorro
Ultraman(I'm talking about that red and silver giant from Japan.)
Gamera(He went from Gojira/Godzilla knockoff to a protector of Earth)
Super Sentai(5 colored heroes, Power Rangers, whatever)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2007, 08:38:56 PM »

How is Gamera there but not Godzilla?!?

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2007, 09:18:04 PM »

Oh and we better add Spidey to that list...

HOLY MOLY!!!

http://boxofficeguru.com/

Shocked Shocked Shocked

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Superman Forever
Superman Family

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2007, 01:50:19 AM »

Spider-Man is certainly the most popular character in the world right now, not exactly the most well-recognizaed. And well, he is still a variation of the Superman archetype. Even his movies seems to be following the themes of the Superman movies.
ShinDangaioh
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2007, 01:49:57 PM »

How is Gamera there but not Godzilla?!?
I was saying heroes.  No matter how you look at it, Gojira/Godzilla isn't a hero.  He's just a monster who like to fight.

But as for recognizable, yes Gojira/Godzilla has to be one of the most recognized characters around.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2007, 10:14:14 AM »

Millions of people know Spider-Man but don't even know he's married, much less to whom. 

Spider-Man is married?!?

I would agree that the most universally appealing aspect of Superman is the power fantasy --something that most heroes, from Holmes to Hercules to Bond share.  Extraordinary ability and savoir faire/cool.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2007, 12:38:26 PM »

Oh and we better add Spidey to that list...

HOLY MOLY!!!

http://boxofficeguru.com/

Shocked Shocked Shocked

The headline this week should read: SPIDER-MAN 3 HAS WORST SECOND WEEKEND IN HISTORY

The story was awful. They tried to cram too much into one movie. And yet...I'd still watch it again  Huh?

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L