superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonThe SUNSTONEHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:46:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Classic Woody Woodpecker Cartoons finally on DVD!!!  (Read 4215 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« on: May 04, 2007, 12:04:28 AM »

hurray!

So many great classic cartoon DVD releases are coming out this year, it's amazing!

http://www.woodywoodpecker.com/

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 08:59:30 AM »

Heheheheheh! Heheheheheh! Heh-heh-heh-heh-heh!

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 02:23:33 PM »

Yikes.  Woody Woodpecker is one of the few classic cartoon characters I could never bring myself to like.  Whereas Bugs Bunny was a mischievous trickster, Woody was an out-and-out mean-spirited nuisance, a troublesome little creep who needed a good kick in the pants.  What I wouldn't have given to see an anvil fall on that jerk just once.

I certainly see the appeal of a comic character who rolls onto the scene and disrupts the order of things with chaos and lunacy.  But I think it's important to always keep that character likable and appealing, like a Groucho or Bugs, and not just irritating, like a Dennis the Menace or Woody.

And it gets worse the further back you go.  At least Woody looked streamlined and had that memorable laugh in the later shorts...when he starts out he looks and laughs like he's mentally challenged.  Another comic stereotype that never appealed to me, from Jerry Lewis to Jim Carrey...somehow I just don't think of retardation as an amusing notion.

On the other hand, Chilly Willy and Wally Walrus were okay, I guess.  But I'll always think of these cartoons as being a few steps down the food chain from Warner, Fleisher or even MGM.

This looks like a job for...
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 04:18:40 PM »

Another cartoon great released on DVD? I'm going to be broke.  Cheesy

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 06:26:48 PM »

Woody was an out-and-out mean-spirited nuisance, a troublesome little creep who needed a good kick in the pants. 

Funny, you dislike him for exactly the same reason I like him; the guy's pure, uncontrolled Id.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 01:03:35 AM »

Woody was an out-and-out mean-spirited nuisance, a troublesome little creep who needed a good kick in the pants.

Funny, you dislike him for exactly the same reason I like him; the guy's pure, uncontrolled Id.

exactly!

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L