superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:11:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Smallville, seen objectively  (Read 29790 times)
Permanus
Superman Squad

« on: May 04, 2007, 09:27:30 PM »

For some years now, I have been reserving my opinion on the Smallville television series, because I'd never really had the occasion to see it. I had inklings of the show, none of which I liked; apparently, there was some sort of soap opera feel to the whole thing. I had seen pictures, of course, and didn't really like the face of Tom Welling as Clark; I did, however, like the choice of Annette O'Toole as Martha, a witty and clever bit of casting. The idea seemed to be quite clever, playing a riff off a bit of Americana without directly mentioning it.

So, today, I made use of the Internet to watch the pilot episode, and a few others besides.

I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT  I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT  I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT  I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT  I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT  I HATE IT

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 12:25:53 PM »

It got better but mostly its Dawson's Creek writ Super. But still there's been some standout eps per season
jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 12:32:53 PM »

This is the only incarnation of Superman that I just can't seem to get into at all.

And I really like Annette O'Toole, i was lucky enough to see her perform with Michael McKean at a nightclub
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 02:16:32 PM »

Nah, they all stink. There are some cool moments here and there but that's about it.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 03:24:51 PM »

Smallville still gets ratings. Proving once again, Superman has drawing power. If you sift through all the convoluted subplots, there is potential for a great story. Sadly, I don't believe we'll ever see it. 

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 07:36:38 PM »

What is there to like about the show? The "writing" is grade-school level and most of the acting isn't even equal to that a high school drama club.

Moreover, Clark is an incompotent moron who 9/10 has to be lead on to the plot by Chloe or Lois. He stills listens and obeys the disembodied voice who wants him to conquer the planet, that killed several people, and is only slightly less ruthless than Zod.

Lex's motivation for evil comes right out of Star Wars: Episode 3. He goes down the dark path to attempt to save Lana from dying in child birth.

Bo Duke, the most entertaining character on the show, is brilliantly killed off just to echo what happened in a movie that was released 30 years ago.
jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 10:07:01 PM »

I meant I liked her overall, not her acting on the show
alabama assassin
Superman Fan

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 12:19:51 PM »

smallville is probably one of shows that i have followed the most in my life.  i always loved the early superman movies, but never read a single comic book in my life.  since watching smallville and now superman returns, i have completely jumped into the superman universe.  i have started buying superman graphic novels as fast as i can read them and frequent several message boards nightly.  smallville can be a little soap opera ish, but i love the coming of age, great parenting, responsibility, friendship, and young love themes.  my girlfriend has even caught the superhero fever from the show.  she told me the other day that she caught herself defending superman against batman and spiderman fans, while at her workplace.  so maybe smallville is offensive to some of the old school purist, but to us rookies it can be the start of a new journey. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L