superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:21:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Smallville, seen objectively  (Read 29783 times)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 05:13:13 PM »

smallville is probably one of shows that i have followed the most in my life.  i always loved the early superman movies, but never read a single comic book in my life.  since watching smallville and now superman returns, i have completely jumped into the superman universe.  i have started buying superman graphic novels as fast as i can read them and frequent several message boards nightly.  smallville can be a little soap opera ish, but i love the coming of age, great parenting, responsibility, friendship, and young love themes.  my girlfriend has even caught the superhero fever from the show.  she told me the other day that she caught herself defending superman against batman and spiderman fans, while at her workplace.  so maybe smallville is offensive to some of the old school purist, but to us rookies it can be the start of a new journey. 

I don't think its a case of purism as in plot details - for me the series rarely works because the motivations of Clark, Lex and Lana are often based on possession of or obsession on low brow goals - i.e. "being with someone, getting something". Maybe that works for some serials, but this is the story of Superman and, unrealistic or not, the comics always had greater purpose to its themes.

Some moments on "Smallville" have made me smile (the ending race between Clark and Bart on "Run") but generally, I prefer animated short series or stand alone mythologies like the first Superman movie over "Felicity" in a fictional town.
alabama assassin
Superman Fan

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 06:35:08 PM »

smallville is probably one of shows that i have followed the most in my life.  i always loved the early superman movies, but never read a single comic book in my life.  since watching smallville and now superman returns, i have completely jumped into the superman universe.  i have started buying superman graphic novels as fast as i can read them and frequent several message boards nightly.  smallville can be a little soap opera ish, but i love the coming of age, great parenting, responsibility, friendship, and young love themes.  my girlfriend has even caught the superhero fever from the show.  she told me the other day that she caught herself defending superman against batman and spiderman fans, while at her workplace.  so maybe smallville is offensive to some of the old school purist, but to us rookies it can be the start of a new journey. 

I don't think its a case of purism as in plot details - for me the series rarely works because the motivations of Clark, Lex and Lana are often based on possession of or obsession on low brow goals - i.e. "being with someone, getting something". Maybe that works for some serials, but this is the story of Superman and, unrealistic or not, the comics always had greater purpose to its themes.

Some moments on "Smallville" have made me smile (the ending race between Clark and Bart on "Run") but generally, I prefer animated short series or stand alone mythologies like the first Superman movie over "Felicity" in a fictional town.

smallville will probably have it's last season next year, since michael rosenbaum's contract expires at this time.  if this happens, we will not have any more superman tv entertainment available (ends of superman:TAS and JLUnlimited).  we should try to enjoy it while it is still available.
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 08:36:59 PM »

I really liked Smallville in the beginning. "Low brow goals," confusion, moral turmoil, and teenage drama are perfectly ok if the main character is a freshman in high school. As time went on, this became less acceptable to me; Clark Kent as an adult should really leave these traits behind. Season 4 is when the show basically became unacceptable to me.

Welcome, fellow Alabamian! I wouldn't worry about there being no Superman on tv; the Legion of Superheroes animated show is still on, and Superman is too profitable for WB to not continue some form of show.

Worst case scenario, they replace Rosenbaum and continue the show.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 09:57:02 PM »

Season 1 was a little heavy on the freak of the week, but I was willing to put up with Clark obsessing over Lana (that's a switch from the comics) for 2 seasons max.

WBs "The Batman" series has introduced the Justice League of America, so that franchise may have a Superman character too.  With the Timms series, the Legion series, and the new Batman series, its getting a little confusing.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 11:28:58 PM »

Just goes to prove: different strokes and all that.  Superman the concept trumps all sorts of mediocrity in terms of application.

When it comes to Superboy, I was initially a fan of the Maggin novels (and lately their spiritual heirs, the Sam Hawkins short stories).

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
alabama assassin
Superman Fan

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 12:28:41 AM »

the Legion of Superheroes animated show is still on,

when and what channel can i find this series?
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 12:56:03 AM »

On Saturday mornings on your local "CW" network affiliate...

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2007, 12:57:08 AM »

Click right here for all the details : http://kidswb.warnerbros.com/kids/shows-LegionOfSuperHeroes

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L