superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:52:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Smallville, seen objectively  (Read 29789 times)
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2011, 08:39:21 AM »

That's a little harsh.

No, it isn't. Smallville always dumbed the writing and character development down in order to maintain the status quo and appeal to the lowest common denominator.

It's an entertaining, watchable show, but its lost its way from its original premise. Now its all about fan 'ships (Clark/Lana, Clark/Chloe, etc) having former Superman media actors as guest stars (although I thoroughly enjoy this idea) and various other Superman characters making appearances (Aquaman, Green Arrow, Supergirl, etc) too, yet again, prematurely.

I've only found the show to be watchable after consuming a considerable quantity of alcohol. Did it have potential? Yup. It had a ton of it, but the dolts running the show squandered each and every opportunity they had to reinvent the show after Gough and Miller left.

However, Smallville manages to do what the Superman movies refuse to do; have a villain other than Lex Luthor! I have to agree with you about John Schneider. Its almost like everything Superman has to obey allegiance to the pre-crisis canon. We've seen [for the first time in live action] Brainiac, Doomsday, etc.

It also manages to portray the lead character as an imbecile to the point where you would believe that he's brain damaged.

But at the end of the day, whether you like Smallville or not, its the only thing right now keeping Superman alive. We had Superman Returns, a rehash of a 30 year old movie sequel, that barely made a dent into the general public's conscience. I've ran into many people who didn't even know a new Superman movie had came out. The two decades we've seen various versions and interpretations of Batman on film, and yet people can't let go the Donner/Reeve interpretation that its almost embedded into everyone's mind sight that Superman MUST be played that way. George Reeves never played Clark Kent as the extremely goofy, bumbling fool to further to depart himself from Superman. In fact, it wasn't until Christopher Reeve that [Superman] was portrayed that way. I still maintain that Reeve is the best Superman by far, but the whole ridiculous Clark thing got on my nerves. The best reporter of the Daily Planet get through a revolving door without bumping into the ceiling or needing Lois' help?

I don't celebrate mediocrity. Smallville may have been the only thing in the public's eye for a while, but the point remains that it can be done better. Superman may be my favorite character, but I'm not going to pretend that I like sub-standard material.

BBally81
Supermen of America

Superfan For All Seasons

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2011, 01:54:41 AM »

From someone who grew up a Superman fan since the 80's, I actually like Smallville, yes I said I like Smallville. I think the first 4 seasons were pretty good, despite the liberties taken, the first 4 seasons feel they could fit in the comic canon. The season 2 episode Ryan was a very touching episode. Since the early seasons were made before Superman's past as Superboy was brought back into continuity, I kind of like that Superboy like touch they did with having Clark wearing red jacked, blue shirt and jeans.

And Michael Rosenbaum is the best Live Action Lex Luthor, I wasn't a big fan of Gene Hackman's Lex and less said about Spacey's Lex the better.

Season 5 was meh and then things started going downhill since season 6 but then season 9 was sort of an improvement and I'm really enjoying season 10, the episode Scion, when Clark decided to take care of Conner (formerly Alexander Luthor, a clone of Lex) that scene actually has Clark act more like Superman would than JMS' Grounded Superman (which is improving after Chris Robinson took over and starting fixing the damage done by JMS)

As for the acting, it isn't ground breaking but its competent but seriously John Glover who plays Lionel Luthor was fantastic.

I also loved every scene involving Clark and Kents in the early seasons, like that an opening scene of one episode where the Kents were having a normal family breakfast moment until Clark heats a piece of toast with his heat vision (Love that scene Grin)

No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN
superboy
Superman Emergency Squad

Up,Up and away.

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2011, 02:00:33 PM »

I am a fan of superman and the old chris reeve films and i loooooove smallville. I admit the first five seasons were a bit....pathetic yet it got lots of people watching.I think it's a shame clark was known as ,the blur, a bit dark yet it was cool.I like the ones where he is battling phantom zone baddies( although killing is very un superman like ) and him meeting young jla members. it has got a classic yet modern feel, even if he isn't superboy.
Kal-El
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2011, 11:02:38 PM »

Ive watched all the episodes but ive got to agree that i'm not that impressed, it just doesnt sit right with me that all these hundreds of school people have abilities.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L