superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE AUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:19:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jimmy by Kirby  (Read 20588 times)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« on: May 10, 2007, 11:23:24 AM »

Nobody talks about Jimmy.

At least the latest reprint is out:

http://www.comicbookbin.com/news1121.html

Jimmy is big in Countdown:

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/entertainment/books/article_1681498.php

Jimmy on Smallville:

http://tvdramas.about.com/b/a/257979.htm

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
DoctorZero
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 09:13:22 PM »

An excellent collection and certain one of the most unusual versions of Jimmy Olsen ever.

Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 07:08:19 AM »

I love the fun silver ager Jimmy - his disguise trunk, his fan club, his intergalactic romances, his fickle girl friend and his steadfast loyalty to his friend Superman...

Someday when theres more bandwidth here and Rao finally gives me the OK Ill scan my favorite story "Jimmy Olsen's Monster Movie".
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 03:43:47 PM »

A little lean on script and over-relying on real animals ("effects" courtesy of Professor Potter), nevertheless, "you're a genius Jimmy"... Grin
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 04:24:15 PM »

I liked Jimmy's 'casting' too - how convenient.  Wink

Clark's makeup was the best!
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 05:30:35 PM »

They were all naturals, Clark made a great Krawl, Lucy was a trooper to be a Fay Wray, and who knew Titano could dance?
India Ink
Superman Squad

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 01:49:13 AM »

There's a warning on the reply screen advising me to start a new topic, but what the heck, I'm willing take on the danger and bump this topic.

Osgood Peabody put a link to a page by Mark Evanier on the Marvel Masterworks MB, but I thought it was worth bringing to the attention of Superman fans. Evanier talks about the genesis of a certain panel in one of Kirby's Olsen stories here.

What interests me about this little item is that Jimmy Olsen was bumped to a monthly. It's interesting because Kirby wasn't told about it ahead of time and it's interesting that Kirby actually kept the book on schedule.

Personally, I would have been happy if DC had made up the difference by putting out Giant reprints of old Olsen tales. But it shows what a workhorse Kirby was and that his work on Jimmy was really popular. This is in stark contrast to the other Fourth World books that were kept on a bi-monthly schedule and ultimately met their demise.

It seems that Kirby left Jimmy of his own choosing, but Jack and DC probably would have been better off if he had stayed on some of DC's big name characters (and yes, at the time, Jimmy was a big name character).

India Ink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L