superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "SONG OF THE EARTH!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:02:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Metropolis Monarchs slammed by Dice-K  (Read 12978 times)
carmine
Superman Family

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 01:24:00 AM »

first of all the Monarchs have no long relief pitching, and Earth-1 Dice K is actually a super powered shape shifting pile of purple goo from a parrellel universe created so that the Red Sox could actually win another world series in our life time.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 03:54:20 AM »

first of all the Monarchs have no long relief pitching, and Earth-1 Dice K is actually a super powered shape shifting pile of purple goo from a parrellel universe created so that the Red Sox could actually win another world series in our life time.

Too bad for the Monarchs that their starters need to be relieved so early.  Dice-K defeated the Detroit Tigers this evening (7-1) and he pitched all nine innings!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Sam Hawkins
Superman Fan

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 03:58:36 AM »

Hopefully I'm not being too analytical for the discussion, and it's certainly not a facet in which I have any trouble suspending disbelief, but the part about the Earth 1 Dice K in Carmine's quote reminds me that Waid probably got it right in Kingdom Come when we see that baseball had died out.  Probably a logical conclusion in a world with super powers.  It would be hard to maintain interest in watching "human" athletes when meta-humans were around [just look at how the public is ambivalent about Bonds' chasing Aaron's record because there's the perception he was enhanced for at least a couple hundred of those homers], even if there were some way to keep the metas from competing [and when you think of all the trouble sports has had with detecting performance-enhacing substances, it's easy to think that knowing who did and who didn't have super-powers would be lots harder].  In one story of mine [that's never going to be completed] there's a super-powered attack at a 1941 major league game, and one of the players [who's secretly super-powered himself] must wrestle with whether to use his powers to save his teammates, since he knows that if he does, he's going to be outed and will be banned from the game for life.  I never decided if his super abilities would even be useful in baseball.  If they weren't [let's say it was energy projection or something], then the lack of acceptance of him would seem unfair, and he would be a sympathetic character.  But, if they were useful [say, enhanced speed or strength or mind-reading], and let's say that he only used them "enough" to make himself pretty good [but not Babe Ruth good], then he wouldn't be so sympathetic, since that would mean that he'd been holding himself back, which is in effect what you do when you throw a game.  No doubt someone out there has already done this storyline, but I thought it had some interesting dimensions to it.  Anyway, sorry if I digress, since my point was that I doubt that human sports could persist in a world with metahumans.  Maybe metahumans would take over sports if there were enough of them, but then you could argue that the unpredictability of super-powers would kill that too.  Competition isn't much fun when there are no rules...so maybe all a world with metahumans would be left with in the way of sports would be something like American Gladiator.  Ugh. I see why Wes Dodds was so depressed.   Smiley

Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 12:46:38 PM »

What other instances have real-life athletes' Earth-1 (or -2, etc.) counterparts shown up in the comics?
Muhammad Ali knows Clark Kent's secret identity.  Smiley
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 03:13:43 PM »

What other instances have real-life athletes' Earth-1 (or -2, etc.) counterparts shown up in the comics?
Muhammad Ali knows Clark Kent's secret identity.  Smiley

Funny how you never see Cassius Clay and Muhammad Ali in the same room together.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2007, 12:24:50 AM »

or Andrew Dice Clay for that matter
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 04:10:38 AM by jamespup » Logged
carmine
Superman Family

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2007, 01:41:45 AM »

I bet Superman didn't like Andrew Dice Clay but is a big Lisa Lampenelli(SP?) fan simply because of her intials.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2007, 01:48:01 AM »

No, that why he hates her Wink

see...

http://www.nealadams.com/DC/superman/204.JPG

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L