superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GETTING AFFAIRS IN ORDER!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:18:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Metropolis Monarchs slammed by Dice-K  (Read 13027 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« on: May 11, 2007, 09:41:16 PM »

I just read Superman #662 and was surprised to see that Boston's internationally renowned starting pitcher Daisuke Matsuzaka (aka "Dice-K") beat the Metropolis Monarchs, 4-0.  Another win for his already incredible record, it must have been the precursor to his victory over the Toronto Blue Jays last Wednesday.

With the Metropolis Monarchs up against the Boston Red Sox in the American League, and the Meteors up against the St. Louis Cardinals in the National League; it's obvious that the Monarchs and the Meteors are analogies for the Yankees and the Mets.

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 03:41:39 PM »

Well if Derek Jeter shows up on the Monarchs, we'll know for sure.  Cheesy

I never got around to reading issue 662, any good?

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 05:32:28 PM »

What other instances have real-life athletes' Earth-1 (or -2, etc.) counterparts shown up in the comics? Think it was Hank Aaron showed up in the Johnny Nevada's-been-kidnapped story (as a guest on the "Midnight Show") as a guest on the show...

Know there's various stories (flashback tales/Superboy tales) that mentioned or showed Babe Ruth...

jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 05:41:43 PM »

somewhere in the archives, I have a early 60's Superman with Antonio Rocca, the wrestler featured on the cover.  I'll look up the number

I'm certain there were other instances, though none come to mind right now
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 06:20:23 PM »

somewhere in the archives, I have a early 60's Superman with Antonio Rocca, the wrestler featured on the cover.  I'll look up the number

I'm certain there were other instances, though none come to mind right now

here you go: http://superman.nu/wiki/index.php/Antonino_Rocca

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 08:22:46 PM »

I seem to recall Mickey Mantle and Yogi Berra appearing in Superman family mags in the 60s -- as adverts
only?

And the ubiquitous Mr. Met.  Wink
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 11:18:44 PM »

Pelé was in one of the Maggin novels, IIRC.

I never got around to reading issue 662, any good?

Yes, it was.

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 01:02:21 AM »

Thanks, saves me the trouble of digging through the long boxes !
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L