superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:01:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts on COIE, IC, 52, & Countdown.  (Read 29526 times)
llozymandias
Last Son of Krypton

« on: May 12, 2007, 10:20:12 PM »

Remember how DC did the original Crisis in 1985 partly because that was the 50th anniversary of DC as a company?  Remember how the 50th anniversary of Superman/Action Comics #1 seemed like a pale afterthought in comparison?  Makes sence if one of the biggest events in DC's history (the creation of a new DC Multiverse) starts in 2005 (DC's 70th anniversary) & concludes in 2008 (superman's 70th anniversary).  I hope that by that point the new DC Multiverse is infinite in scope.  Sorry, but a multiverse with only 52 universes is too small for me.

I like how Grant is talking about the idea of DC having several "lines" of titles.  Each line being set on a different earth of the multiverse.  Also it would be interesting if each ongoing tv/movie franchise based on DC properties had its own earth in the new multiverse.  Of course any comics that direcly tie-into those tv/movie franchises should have their creative teams working with the creative teams of the franchise their title(s) "tie-into".  I.E. a title that ties into Smallville should be part of the series' continuity. 

I can imagine the cover labels DC can give these hypothetical mini-lines.  Earth-2= DC/ALL-AMERICAN/EARTH-2.  Earth-4=DC/CHARLTON/EARTH-4.  Earth-5=DC/FAWCETT/EARTH-5.  Earth-10=DC/QUALITY/EARTH-10.

How is the new Earth-2 different from the Pre-Crisis one?  How about this?  On the new Earth-2 Superman's continuity more accurately reflects the actual golden age stories.  His kryptonian name is Kal-El instead of Kal-L.  Luthor is bald.  Clark & Lois worked at both the Daily Star & the Daily Planet.  They started their careers at the Daily Star and early on they were hired away by the Daily Planet.  Sometime in the 1950s Clark goes back to the Daily Star becoming its editor-in-chief.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 10:24:26 PM by llozymandias » Logged

John Martin, citizen of the omniverse.
crispy snax
Superman Family

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 11:36:03 PM »

i agree,52 earths is WAY too tiny.... maybe it should be 52 main earths and the rest hold less solid reality, maybe only appearing for a short time, (like say, the elseworlds series, have earths appear for the duration of their series, maybe meet some mainstream people and then fade out).

and i dont think we should alter earth 2 facts to be "more correct" for the golden age. we dont have to stick to continuity THAT much. thats the point of having a crisis.. a new begining! earth 2 superman not a reporter, but a bedwetting supermodel! huzzah a piece of comic book genius! when do i get my paycheck?

as far as im concerned, the golden age happened on earth-2a,   earth-2 is a retooled earth-2a
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 03:42:40 AM »

well, if Earth-52 is the current DCU, then there is hope that Earth-1 is what I think it is.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Superman of America
Superman Family

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 06:05:18 AM »

Do you think All-Star Superman takes place on Earth-1 because All-Star Batman clearly happens in Frank Miller's Dark Knight world. DC has mandated The Dark Knight Returns happens in its own Earth why not do the same with All-Star Superman world?

Superman of America: America's No.1 Sunshine Superman!
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 06:59:29 AM »

AS-Superman may have its own Earth.. who knows.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
carmelo
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 04:10:40 PM »

well, if Earth-52 is the current DCU, then there is hope that Earth-1 is what I think it is.
Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Wink Wink
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 04:46:51 PM »

Remember how DC did the original Crisis in 1985 partly because that was the 50th anniversary of DC as a company?  Remember how the 50th anniversary of Superman/Action Comics #1 seemed like a pale afterthought in comparison?  Makes sence if one of the biggest events in DC's history (the creation of a new DC Multiverse) starts in 2005 (DC's 70th anniversary) & concludes in 2008 (superman's 70th anniversary).  I hope that by that point the new DC Multiverse is infinite in scope.  Sorry, but a multiverse with only 52 universes is too small for me.

When "Infinite Crisis" was confirmed as the "successor" of "Crisis on Infinite Earths", I thought it was slightly odd that DC would be observing the 20th anniversary of COIE -- certainly the double DC Comics 75th / Crisis 25th anniversary in 2010 seemed more appropriate.  But "Infinite Crisis" proved to be just the starting point, and since then we've been dragged through a year of "52" and face yet ANOTHER year with "Countdown"...

How many expect that DC will release TWO MORE weekly series stretching through 2008 and 2009, leading up to the BIG event in 2010?  And how many plan to stick around that long?   Undecided

DTO
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 11:21:18 PM »

Well, dto, I bought 52 sporadically, and I think it just about did for me. The Elongated man attempted suicide, Vic Sage died of cancer, and Black Adam pulled someone's head off. As if that wasn't enough, I was on the bus while I read the chapter in which the crocodile monster ate a character in half, only to find that a small girl sitting next to me was staring at the picture1, so I probably traumatised her for life.

So in the unlikely event that anything important happens in the next few years, wake me up.

1I swear this is true. Not a great moment.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L