superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:34:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts on COIE, IC, 52, & Countdown.  (Read 29528 times)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2007, 10:28:34 PM »

TELLE, you did read my entire posting before responding to it.  Right?

llozy, I went back and read it several more times just now.  How should I have responded?Huh?

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
llozymandias
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2007, 12:35:29 AM »

TELLE, you did read my entire posting before responding to it.  Right?

llozy, I went back and read it several more times just now.  How should I have responded?Huh?

Sorry, i overreacted.  It just strikes me as funny that DC (Morrison anyway) calls a miniscule multiverse a megaverse.  While Marvel's megaverse contains entire multiverses.  Each of Marvel's multiverses contain a nigh-infinite number of universes.

I think we can imagine many increases and decreases in Superman's power levels over the last/lost 20-odd years so the Superman/sun thing is still entirely in keeping with Morrison's initial premise.  Ditto Supes getting new powers (remember the rainbow fingers?  heat vision?  flying?  all "new powers" gained by the E-1 Superman over the years).

We can imagine a lot of things.  Superman started flying in the 1940s.  Heck he started time travelling in the 1940s.  It was the Earth-2 Superman who learned his true origin by backtracking kryptonite meteors from earth to krypton.  He also already had heat vision in the 1940s.  I know it was in the 50s that the writers referred to heat vision  as a power separate from X-ray vision.  Iirc a lot of the stories from the 50s were considered (by DC) to be about the Earth-2 Superman.  Come to think of it, i never read anything where Grant outright said that All-Star Superman was the Earth-1 version. 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 12:57:11 AM by llozymandias » Logged

John Martin, citizen of the omniverse.
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2007, 11:49:53 PM »

In the recent DC Nation, Dan Didio discusses the new multiverse and gives kudos to Julie Schwartz and company for the original multiverse concept. Below is an updated list of New Earths. Dan Didio also mentions how readers will see glimpses of the multiverse in Countdown and Countdown to Adventure starring Challengers from Beyond. So, look to the skies.   

Countdown of Catalogued 52 Universes

Confirmed

New Earth = Current DC Universe

Earth 2 = Golden Age

Earth 3 = Crime Syndicate of America (Golden Age?!)

Earth 4 = Charlton

Earth 5 = Captain Marvel & Family

Earth 8 = Angor (Extremists & Champions)

Earth 10 = Freedom Fighters vs Nazis

Earth 17 = Atomic Knights

Earth 18 = Justice Riders

Earth 21 = New Frontier

Earth 22 = Kingdom Come

Earth 26 = Captain Carrot and the Zoo Crew

Earth 34* = Wonder Woman Amazonia (possibly Victorian Era includes Gotham by Gaslight)

Earth 48 = Forerunners (there is some confusion to what Earth the Forerunners originated Earth-34 or Earth-48)

Earth 50 = Wildstorm

Confirmed but not designated

Tangent Universe

Dark Knight Frank Miller (possibly Earth-7)

Vampire Batman

Red Son

1948-1958 Atom Era

Earth 1 (Silver Age?)

Post Crisis on Infinite Earths Earth (MoS Superman, Perez Wonder Woman, etc)

1990's Earth (Jurgens' mullet Superman)

Early 2000's DC (Birthright Superman etc)

Gotham by Gaslight Victorian Era

Conjurors

Timmverse DC Animated Universe
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 12:10:54 AM by Michel Weisnor » Logged

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
carmelo
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2007, 01:34:28 AM »

Earth-1 is earth DCU or Silver Age?
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2007, 11:37:58 AM »

Morrison spills the beans on the whole Countdown thing:

http://mountainofjudgment.blogspot.com/2007/05/turnabout.html

Supermanica
(temporarily offline)
Criadoman
Superman Family

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2007, 04:25:35 AM »

How does Jurgens Superman rate? 

"If I print "She was stark naked"--& then proceeded to describe her person in detail, what critic would not howl?--but the artist does this & all ages gather around & look & talk & point." - Mark Twain
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2007, 05:45:28 AM »

Well, dto, I bought 52 sporadically, and I think it just about did for me. The Elongated man attempted suicide, Vic Sage died of cancer, and Black Adam pulled someone's head off. As if that wasn't enough, I was on the bus while I read the chapter in which the crocodile monster ate a character in half, only to find that a small girl sitting next to me was staring at the picture1, so I probably traumatised her for life.

So in the unlikely event that anything important happens in the next few years, wake me up.

1I swear this is true. Not a great moment.

Just catching up on this thread --this is the single saddest comics-related anecdote ever.  And funniest!  That'll teach you to read comics in public!

Supermanica
(temporarily offline)
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2007, 06:09:45 PM »

Finally, after several years of crossovers, DC's devulging details of the real story behind Infinite Crisis and 52. Believe it or not, the true reveal appears in a one shot: Sinestro Corps Special. Where Infinite Crisis, 52, and OYL failed SCS pays off in spades.

Spoilers....

If you haven't been following Green Lantern v3, Sinestro formed his own fear inducing Corps of the most malevolent monsters in the New Earth Universe. On New Earth, the current Justice League of America attempt to capture Zoom to learn the whereabouts of Zoom's pal, former Secret Society member Sinestro. See, in sector 2418, the yellow Sinestro ring chose Batman first before settling for Amon Sur, Abin Sur's villainous son. So, Batman proactively gathers the League together to combat a potential threat to New Earth by trying to locate Sinestro through Secret Society members. Unable to apprehend Zoom, Hal Jordan decides to check back with Oa.

In sector 424, Green Lanterns pursue a Sinestro Ring with poor results, until Kyle Rayner as Ion arrives. Even after Ion captures the ring, it breaks free revealing many more Sinestro rings heading to designated sectors. In sector 3, Sinestro member Bedovian is alerted to begin. On Oa, Hank Henshaw, the infamous Cyborg Superman, is grilled by the Guardians on his knowledge of the 52. Multiverse Alert Through the wonders of exposition, the Guardians explain New Earth is a linchpin to the new Multiverse. If New Earth is destroyed, the 52 ends leaving only the antimatter universe. The Source Wall and the Bleed are mentioned. The Guardians decide to incarcerate Cyborg Superman with Superbo..man Prime for all eternity but not before the Guardians discuss a Book of Oa forbidden passage, "The Blackest Night" (originally quoted to Abin Sur by the demons of Ysmault) fortelling the upcoming Sinestro War.

At the Sciencells, the Oa holding prison, Guy Gardner harrasses Superbo..man Prime before trying to set up a meeting with the Guardians. In the Oa mess hall, John Stewart and Hal Jordan walk with Kyle Rayner who captured a Sinestro Ring. It seems Kyle Rayner never got over his mother's death and he appears at the breaking point. Feeding off Kyle's emotional loss,  the Yellow Ring breaks free, causes some havoc, and transports Ion to Qward.

On Qward, Kyle discovers dead Weaponers scattered about the planet's surface and stumbles across a Sinestro rally meeting. It seems the Sinestro Corps' modus operandi is to spread order through fear. Kyle Rayner tries to contact Hal Jordan but instead finds Sinestro has been waiting for him. Back on Oa, Green Lanterns determine Ion was sent to the antimatter universe, when suddenly a contingent from the Sinestro Corps ambush. Back on Qward, Kyle Rayner strives valiantly against all odds until Sinestro blasts him in the back knocking Ion out cold. Back on Oa, John Stewart kills the sniper Bedovian as Green Lanterns turn the battle in their favour. Until of course, they discover the intitial attack was a diversion signaled by all the Green Lantern rings seaching for new members. At the Sciencells, Stewart, Gardner, and Jordan discover the inmates were freed with a Sinestro Corps symbol blazing prominently in the background.

On Qward, Sinestro continues to mentally wear down Kyle Rayner. Just call Sinestro Senor Exposition, he explains the Parallax creature (again) then the true nature of Ion by ripping the Ion creature from Kyle's chest! The Guardians created Ion as a creature of order in need of a host similar to Parallax- a creature embodying fear. Sinestro continues to needle Kyle about Alex DeWitt's demise as well as his mother's recent illness and death. Then, Sinestro reveals the cause behind Kyle's mother's death- Despotellus a virus Sinestro Corps member. Enraged, Kyle screams he's going to kill Sinestro. However, Sinestro retorts the Guardians will never allow Kyle to kill, nor do the Guardians understand love or loss. Finally succumbing to Sinestro, Kyle gives up and is leviated to the yellow power battery where he's possessed by Parallax.

Meanwhile overlooking New Earth, two Guardians, the female Sayd and male Ganthet, discuss the impending doom realizing with the rebirth of multiverse returns... On Qward, Parallax and Sinestro walk down a long passageway discussing the gathering of the four heralds finally bowing before, in the foreground Superbo..man Prime, in the distance an almost repaired Cyborg Superman, and a gigantic very much alive Anti-Monitor.

The War continues in Green Lantern v3, Green Latern Corps, and most likely Countdown.       

« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 06:13:30 PM by Michel Weisnor » Logged

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L