superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:37:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson team up for the ultimate comic book movie!  (Read 6843 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« on: May 16, 2007, 12:02:44 AM »

BEHOLD!!!
http://blog.newsarama.com/2007/05/15/screen-bites-7/

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 02:04:48 AM »

Wipes sweat from brow, I thought it was Archie.  Cheesy

Imagine Tintin climbing through the mountains of New Zealand with Jaws music playing in the background.

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 02:50:52 AM »

All Star Tintin Wink

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
crispy snax
Superman Family

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 04:02:08 AM »

i have low hopes for this one....
jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 04:08:06 AM »

Apparently, not enough people know who Tintin is.

My wife said "Huh? Who?"

People at work ask who is it on my Tintin tie

very discouraging

well, they didn't know what a Coney Island Whitefish was either, so who can say?
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 05:20:34 AM »

How many people knew who Tolkien was before Jackson's LotR films came out?

Similarly, as soon as the first film in his Tintin trilogy is released, everyone in the world will know who Tintin is.

From moviehole.net:
Finally, some concrete news on long-discussed endlessly rumoured much-mooted “Tintin” movie.

History’s most popular red-head will make his live-action feature film debut in a new movie from Steven Spielberg – who has been hanging onto the property for a while now – and fantasy king Peter Jackson.

According to Variety, Dreamworks will do three “Tintin” films, with both Spielberg and Jackson both putting their hands up to direct an instalment of the series. The movies will be made using 3-D using performance capture technology.

Jackson's New Zealand-based WETA Digital, the f/x house behind "The Lord of the Rings" franchise, produced a 20-minute test reel bringing to life the characters created by Remi, who wrote under the pen name of Herge.

"Herge's characters have been reborn as living beings, expressing emotion and a soul which goes far beyond anything we've seen to date with computer animated characters," Spielberg said.

"We want Tintin's adventures to have the reality of a live-action film, and yet Peter and I felt that shooting them in a traditional live-action format would simply not honor the distinctive look of the characters and world that Herge created," Spielberg continued.

Interestingly enough, Jackson just signed a deal with Dreamworks’ to produce and distribute his highly-anticipated “Lovely Bones” movie. Funny how these things come about huh?

Spielberg and Jackson have selected three stories from Herge's "The Adventures of Tintin" series, which encompassed 23 books published between 1929 and 1976. The series still attracts 2 million new fans a year.

The series, which has sold more than 200 million copies worldwide, chronicles adventures of a junior reporter who will follows stories to the ends of the earth, even though he often finds his own life in jeopardy. His able assistants include a white dog named Snowy, the lunatic Captain Haddock, the muddled genius Professor Calculus and the Thompson Twins.

I know I’ve read a couple of “Tintin” comics over the years – I remember a couple of kids, back in my school days, who were obsessed with the series – but I couldn’t for the life of me remember which editions… what stories and so on. I know that there’s potential there for a film series, though. It could be.

Uber-beard number #2 Jackson said his design domain WETA will stay true to the original designs in bringing the cast of Tintin to life, but that the characters won't look cartoonish.

"Instead," Jackson said, "we're making them look photorealistic; the fibers of their clothing, the pores of their skin and each individual hair. They look exactly like real people --but real Herge people!"

By the way, be sure to check out our collection of unofficial online Tintin comics.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 05:26:28 AM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 09:53:49 AM »

Similarly, as soon as the first film in his Tintin trilogy is released, everyone in the world will know who Tintin is.

I think they already do, actually! Tintin is the best-selling comic in the world; back in the sixties, Charles de Gaulle commented that only Tintin matched him in popularity. Tintin is sort of the comic-book equivalent of soccer: something the entire world seems obsessed with, but that the United States remains largely oblivious to.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 03:56:28 PM »

I think they already do, actually! Tintin is the best-selling comic in the world; back in the sixties, Charles de Gaulle commented that only Tintin matched him in popularity. Tintin is sort of the comic-book equivalent of soccer: something the entire world seems obsessed with, but that the United States remains largely oblivious to.

You're right, I misspoke.  What I meant was that after Jackson's first Tintin film comes out, everyone in the U.S. will know who Tintin is.

Unless they pull an Asterix and don't release it in the States: The first of the two Asterix films did better in box-office sales than Phantom Menace in Europe (the two opened around the same time); had brilliant performances by Gerard Depardieu as Obelix and Roberto Benigni as the Roman villain; the English version of the script was by Neil Gaiman - and the movie sold-out worldwide.  But the studios withheld it from release in the U.S. because they figured that no one knew who Asterix was.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 04:04:56 PM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L