superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "SONG OF THE EARTH!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:01:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: destruction of krypton  (Read 13083 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 08:36:33 PM »

Its just one of those awkward stories that takes more explaining than its worth (for example the attempt to integrate it with Tomar Re).

You can read almost the entire story here:

http://www.thenostalgialeague.com/cr/forgotten-superman.html

Wow, what an incredible story, thanks for the link!  I don't think this tale needs to be explained, nor do I think it belittles Jor-El in any way.  All of Jor-El's observations were correct, and if Black Zero hadn't plotted to destroy Krypton, Jor-El would have observed that the planet was going to surivive.  But because Black Zero activated his device, Jor-El accurately observed it's effects, and thus sent Kal-El off in the rocket - saving him from the evil space pirate.

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2007, 12:23:58 AM »

A great story --but I think it does kind of change our perception of the tragedy of Krypton.  Instead of a parable of the failure of science and human pride/folly it turns into a criminal conspiracy/epic space opera.

I liked the Jax-Ur team-up.  So much happened in thos Silver Age stories!  Even the sloppy ones.  And how sloppy could it be when all the other continuity aspects were in place.  Maybe sloppy is too harsh ..it's just a retcon that wasn't needed.  You can imagine Superman's writers (or maybe it was a Swan cover idea, fan submission of Weisinger dream) had the Superman mythos so deeply ingrained on their brains, struggling to come up with a new variation, that occasionally they went over old ground, poking and prodding, throwing things at the wall to see what stuck, and sometimes they were stuck with a deadline or a family crisis and just hacked it out in their sleep!  The gilding of the great art and DC production values could make even the most ill-considered writing look like a professional job!

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2007, 07:28:04 AM »

I appreciated the link, too.. what a hokey ending "Okay, Superman... send me back into the Phantom Zone!"

Yeah, Jax-Ur... I would have taken off into space and found my own planet
jimmy-neutron
Supermen of America

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2007, 02:57:30 PM »

Felt dismissing the story was too harsh (OK, there were some problems like Superman hearing Black Zero's two hearts only once, but many stories have relatively minor errors).

As far as the connection with Tomar-Re is concerned, the following link gives the story:
http://superman.nu/tales2/greatestGL/
In this story "The Greatest Green Lantern of All", Tomar-Re's mission to save Krypton is thwarted by an accident, and he only manages to reach Krypton in time to see it explode.

I can't see that this is a problem with Black Zero's relevation? Tomar-Re and Black Zero don't meet.

The Wikipedia link qoutes Bridwell's suggestion that what Black Zero had noticed was Tomar-Re's attempts to prevent the destruction, and that the two sets of interference somehow cancel each other out, seems rather contrived in order to try and preserve the accepted story-line of Jor-El prediction of the destruction of Krypton?

[Admittedly, I couldnt find any link developing Bridwell's argument.]

Another site that people might find useful is:
http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/database/index.php

Some stories are placed on the site in their entirety.

Cheers, Jimmy-Neutron
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2007, 04:59:17 AM »

Bridwell was a lovable genius.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
carmine
Superman Family

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2007, 01:41:57 PM »

Seems a bit like Mopee from the flash. That being said this is how I think comicbook continuity should be handled. It can be changed at any time but if no one liked it then it really doesn't count.  Its like a history book. Some historians would say that Krypton blew up by natural forces but a few may say its Black Zero.
jimmy-neutron
Supermen of America

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2007, 02:14:50 PM »

If accepted, the Black Zero story doesn't seem to offer any insurmountable contradictions to the previously accepted continuity, it just adds to something that wasn't known at the time.

I could imagine if a reader had pointed out the problem of Superman hearing two heart beats, then being unable to, that the Editor would suggest that Black Zero realised this and turned off on of his hearts (something that has happened in the British sci fi series, Dr Who, where Romana was able to turn off both of her hearts) to try and fool Superman? I must admit, I missed the Fortess of Solitude continuity error. It is a strange error but suggest that should be treated just like that, i.e. an error.

The only time a later story should be rejected over previously accepted story lines if accepting it leads to such arkward explantions (time travel, cloning, ....) that it ain't worth it.

Ultimtately I'm not sure who decides on the acceptance or otherwise of a story.
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2007, 02:24:39 PM »

Ultimtately I'm not sure who decides on the acceptance or otherwise of a story.

Well, nobody does, Jimmy, but my money's on posterity. Fact is that everyone prefers to think of the destruction of Krypton as a natural disaster rather than some rather bizarre interplanetary contract hit. It makes more sense in terms of story: if Krypton were wilfully destroyed, Superman would perforce have to be some sort of avenger, but that's not what the character is about.

I guess if Marvel acquired the rights to Superman and did an Ultimate Superman title, they'd make it so that some nasty communist, or worse, a Frenchman, destroyed Krypton, so that Kal-El could track him down and get medieval on him with his heat vision. Let's be thankful for what we've got.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L