superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:45:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Miller is Eisner?  (Read 6570 times)
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« on: May 16, 2007, 12:39:14 PM »

Eisner comic comes to bigscreen
By MICHAEL FLEMING

'The Spirit'
Lionsgate has acquired domestic and U.K. distribution rights to "The Spirit," a live adaptation of the classic Will Eisner comicbook series. Frank Miller wrote the script and will direct.

Deal marks the start of a multipicture pact under which Lionsgate and Odd Lot Entertainment will co-finance and co-produce together. Odd Lot partners Gigi Pritzker and Deborah Del Prete are showing a finished script by Miller and will broker overseas territories during Cannes.

The Spirit is a man who fakes his own death so he can fight crime from the shadows of Central City. His nemesis is the Octopus, who kills those unlucky enough to see his face and is looking to wipe out the entire city. Miller, who first got behind the camera to co-direct "Sin City" with Robert Rodriguez, will make "The Spirit" his first solo helming effort. Miller created the graphic novels that were adapted into the films "Sin City" and "300," and the production start of "The Spirit" will be influenced by the start date of the "Sin City" sequel that Miller will make with Rodriguez.

"Will was a dear friend, a mentor, and translating his vision to the screen will be a labor of love," Miller said."The Spirit" will be produced by Pritzker and Del Prete, along with Lionsgate's Mike Paseornek and Batfilm's Michael Uslan. Benjamin Melniker will exec produce with Steve Maier, and Linda McDonough and F.J. DeSanto are co-producers.

Frank Miller's "vision is perfectly matched to that of Eisner," said Lionsgate Theatrical Films prexy Tom Ortenberg.
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 04:19:32 PM »

Much as Dan Quayle was no Jack Kennedy, Miller is no Eisner. I doubt this is going to be great shakes.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 05:47:30 PM »

Frank Miller's "vision is perfectly matched to that of Eisner," said Lionsgate Theatrical Films prexy Tom Ortenberg.

I think it's important to keep in mind that this quote may have come from a press release package or something similar.  I don't think the president of Lionsgate knew what he was talking about, if he even said that quote that's attributed to him.  And although I can't speak for either Frank Miller or Will Eisner, my personal suspicion is that they would both disagree with it.

I think Miller's work and Eisner's work are very different in many ways.

But I also think that Frank Miller is strongly aware of that.

I met Frank Miller in the 1990s in San Diego, where I got the opportunity to hang out with him for a while.  Will Eisner was having a big birthday bash that year, and I was impressed with how friendly and self-deprecating Frank was.  He clearly respected and admired the works of The Greats.  He was an amazed and admiring fan-boy when he met Gil Kane and when he met Will Eisner.

With Sin City, Frank did a pretty good job of being faithful to his own work.  Hopefully, he'll be just as faithful to Eisner's work in The Spirit.  I wouldn't be surprised if the film has many scenes duplicating Eisner's actual panels.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 05:53:10 PM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 07:32:56 AM »

Miller has certainly paid a lot of lipservice to Eisner, and was a pal, but I don't think their storytelling or styles are very similar.

One of the best pieces of critical writing on comics I've read recently was Gary Groth's critique of Miller's book of interviews with Eisner.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 07:35:02 PM »

Miller is a big fan of crime comics from the Golden Age, which is why he wound up doing Batman and Sin City comics in the first place. People complain about his Batman being too dark...but then they've never really read the early issues of Detective Comics either. The Spirit was never as gritty as those, so maybe he will respect that.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 10:30:29 PM »

I'm not holding my breath....

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Sword of Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 11:06:01 PM »

I don't think that Miller is out of mind or ego addicted(like B..ne for example)and so is very improbable that is going to ruin the Esneir creature,but as always the best thing to do is wait and see,Lionsgate have produced nice animated movies for Marvel let's hope they learn the lesson.

"Since we didn't want to use our science on your world, Shayera and I decided we would fight Earth-crime with Earth-weapons. She always found it amusing that I felt so comfortable with them" - Katar Hol
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 03:29:18 AM »

Bottom line is Eisner's Spirit demands a light touch- a deft understanding of human character, parody and subtlety -- something Miller is not know for.

Now if it were Dawryn Cooke, I might be more enthusiastic --his take on Denny Colt and Company is respectful to the source material
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L