superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:59:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More info on Superman's new continuity  (Read 29881 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« on: May 18, 2007, 06:47:32 AM »

The Ask Matt column over at the Superman Homepage has just been updated with a new batch of questions and answers.  Most of them are about how Superman's new continuity relates to his previous one.

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 11:16:02 AM »

Well, I read it, and I'm none the wiser.  But then, I'm not sure what (or when) Infinite Crisis was.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
crispy snax
Superman Family

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 11:36:30 AM »

well it pretty much read like this

eager lil reader: i have a question about the new superman continuity id like you to answer!

Matt: well i have the answer but i wont tell you!! buy our magazine the answers in there and they are mega hyper cool!

but im cynical
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 06:53:05 PM »

It's clearly stated that we are now in a new continuity;
We know there's a blue sun story coming up and that Bizarro is part of it;
We know the Krypto story had some legal problems - I can't even begin to speculate what they are, but I'm mighty curious;
We know that Dru Zod was an ancestor of General Zod;
An answer was given as to why the young Clark Kent bothered to wear glasses when he was teen but had no secret ID to protect - this is something we were debating about in this very forum;
We know DC is working out a new explanation behind Superman's indestructible costume;
They're also deciding on an explanation behind whether or not Superman ever killed the P-U Zod.

There's more there too.  I found it informative.

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 12:03:56 AM »

We know the Krypto story had some legal problems - I can't even begin to speculate what they are, but I'm mighty curious;

I can take a wild guess and say that good old Kurt brought back Superboy in that issue. The young Superman version, and the DC legal dept freaked since they do not own that character anymore.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 12:11:44 AM »

well it pretty much read like this

eager lil reader: i have a question about the new superman continuity id like you to answer!

Matt: well i have the answer but i wont tell you!! buy our magazine the answers in there and they are mega hyper cool!

but im cynical

I found that part of the interview highly reminiscent of old DC letters pages, when a fan would right in and say "What would happen if Superman was exposed to purple kryptonite --would he go blind?" and the editor would write "Funny you should ask, because Superman undergoes just such a transformation in next month's World's Finest, co-starring the caped crusader Batman!"

The rest of the modern minutae --whether Superman remembers when he had long hair in the 90s or if he brought a change of underwear for his trip to the Phantom Zone in issue 237 or if the events of Crisis in Ultimate Hypertime changed the recipe for Ma Kent's potato goulash-- went right over my head (or through the space between my ears). 

I would like to like these new Superman comics more but I just don't feel that the editors & writers have my or my future children's best interests at heart. Smiley

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
LadyStyx
Superman's Pal

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 03:33:01 PM »

Honestly DC Comics has dissapointed me...again. First they had this stubborn unbearable godlike Supes. Then they undo all the good work of Byrne for some corny Weissenger-like tales written by "Fatso" Busiek  (he suffers of mercury poisoning by the way). "Khyrana" was for me the last straw of a long decadent series of stories about Supes that were written since Byrne left, the whole Warworld/Brainiac mismash, the "Dead Again", the Trial,  Manchester Black (ok, the Elite could be cool if only they were criminals), IMPERIEX for crying out loud!, the whole "y'know what, Lori Lemaris didn't die so all your grief and the epic poem was in vain" and the whole Brainaic 6 fiasco in OUTSIDERS (then again most of what Winnick writes is sh*t, they had simply no reason to kill Omen or Troia or kill Young Justice) which is by the way upcoming in Superman /Batman #34 with a late Byrne explanation of the origin of the Metal Men ignoring all of their heroic legacy...boy, how I hate DC
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 04:12:05 PM by LadyStyx » Logged
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 04:03:44 PM »

Honestly DC Comivs has dissapointed me...again. First they had this stubborn unbearable godlike Supes. Then they undo all the good work of Byrne for some corny Weissenger-like tales written by "Fatso" Busiek  (he suffers of mercury poisoning by the way). "Khyrana" was for me the last straw of a long decadent series of stories about Supes that were written since Byrne left, the whole Warworld/Brainiac mismash, the "Dead Again", the Trial,  Manchester Black (ok the Elite could be cool if only they were criminals), IMPERIEX for crying out loud!, the whole "y'know what, Lori Lemrais didn't die so all your grief and the epic poem was in vain" and the whole Brainaic 6 fiasco in OUTSIDERS (then again most of what Winnick writes is sh*t, they had simply no reason to kill Omen or Troia or kill Young Justice) whcih is by the way upcoming in Superman /Batman #34 with a late Byrne explanation of the origin of the Metal Men ignoring all of their heroic legacy...boy, how I hate DC

ROTFLMAO!!!

Superman Homepage is a post-crisis superman site, so we have to understand how those fans are reacting to these changes, I remember feeling the way around 1986 Wink

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L