superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "SONG OF THE EARTH!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:17:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Comic Urban Legends: Purple Kryptonite  (Read 5758 times)
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« on: May 26, 2007, 09:14:21 PM »

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2007/05/24/comic-book-urban-legends-revealed-104/

Just a thought, what changes exploded Krypton fragments to different colors, radiation?

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 09:32:01 PM »

Fun bit of info, that!

The standard explanation for Red Kryptonite is that as some ordinary Green K meteorites are flying through space, presumably on their way to earth (to which they seem inexorably drawn), they pass through a cloud of space dust of vague origins that gives them not only a handsome new colour but also changes their properties somehow. As for the others, like Gold K and White K, I don't even know if they've been given origin stories, except for Blue K, which is just ordinary Kryptonite that has been subjected to the Bizarro treatment.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
llozymandias
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 11:45:26 PM »

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2007/05/24/comic-book-urban-legends-revealed-104/

Just a thought, what changes exploded Krypton fragments to different colors, radiation?

Basically the bulk of krypton was turned into green k.  Most of the other varieties are said to be isotopes of green k.

Fun bit of info, that!

The standard explanation for Red Kryptonite is that as some ordinary Green K meteorites are flying through space, presumably on their way to earth (to which they seem inexorably drawn), they pass through a cloud of space dust of vague origins that gives them not only a handsome new colour but also changes their properties somehow. As for the others, like Gold K and White K, I don't even know if they've been given origin stories, except for Blue K, which is just ordinary Kryptonite that has been subjected to the Bizarro treatment.

Blue k was never green k.  Kal created it with the imperfect duplicater ray that created Bizarro.  White k & red k were said to have been green k that had flown through "cosmic clouds".  A white cloud in white k's case.  In red k's, a red cloud.  Makes me think about the "cosmic cloud" that gave Johnny Kirk kryptonian powers.  Could those different "cosmic clouds" have been the same one?  Maybe even a living entity?  Considering that krypton was so much larger than earth, all the kryptonite that reached earth is probably only a tiny fraction of the total amount in the universe.

John Martin, citizen of the omniverse.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 03:17:49 AM »

Makes me think about the "cosmic cloud" that gave Johnny Kirk kryptonian powers.  Could those different "cosmic clouds" have been the same one?  Maybe even a living entity?

That's a great idea --it would explain quite a few of the coincidences in Superman's life.  Some sort of big brother/Watcher/super-teacher -style cloud with a perverse interest in Kal.

Considering that krypton was so much larger than earth, all the kryptonite that reached earth is probably only a tiny fraction of the total amount in the universe.

That's a good point.  There certainly seems to be more Kryptonite around in the Legon period, when space travel is more common (as is the technology to tranmute or nanoengineer matter).

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
ShinDangaioh
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 05:26:10 AM »

Jewel K is from the Jewel Mountians

Gold K has two different sources.  The first source is it is from the Gold Volcano.  The other source is Red K exposed to a nuclear explosion.

There was a story about a senitnet chunk of kryptonite that went from green to red to gold and then was put into the Phantom Zone to keep the prisoners from escaping.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 12:51:09 PM »

This explains all: http://superman.nu/wiki/index.php/Kryptonite

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 05:22:34 PM »

While Blue Kryptonite is made by the duplicator ray, the transformed material is Green Kryptonite to begin with.

Something that's always interesting to me is that whether its altered by clouds or not, most kryptonite is assumed to take on initially harmful properties because of radiation from the explosion of Krypton.  So in the case of ordinary gold from the Gold Volcano, or Jewel Kryptonite from the Jewel Mountains - if it was gathered in the past, I wonder if its really "kryptonite".
llozymandias
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 09:15:32 PM »

While Blue Kryptonite is made by the duplicator ray, the transformed material is Green Kryptonite to begin with.

Something that's always interesting to me is that whether its altered by clouds or not, most kryptonite is assumed to take on initially harmful properties because of radiation from the explosion of Krypton.  So in the case of ordinary gold from the Gold Volcano, or Jewel Kryptonite from the Jewel Mountains - if it was gathered in the past, I wonder if its really "kryptonite".

The duplicater ray did not change green k into blue k.  It created blue k as an imperfect duplicate of green k.  

Jewel k was gathered from the jewel mountains by Jax-Ur.  Jax altered it in his lab.  It was krypton's explosion that turned it into kryptonite.  Jax retrieved the jewel k after he returned to (what was then) the present.  Keep in mind that kryptonian gold (like everything else from krypton) becomes indestructible/super when under a yellow star.  Hardly what i call ordinary gold.    

John Martin, citizen of the omniverse.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L