superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE AUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:48:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Mighty Hercules!  (Read 12664 times)
Superman of America
Superman Family

« on: May 27, 2007, 01:33:14 AM »

I used to love these cartoons back in the day but I never noticed until now HOW MUCH THIS GUY LOOKS LIKE SUPERMAN!!! Is this a coincidence or by design? In this clip The Mighty Hercules battles The Mask of Vulcan!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDyeAypYPpQ

Superman of America: America's No.1 Sunshine Superman!
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 03:31:04 AM »

He is similar to Superman but when I think about it, he's most like Capt. Marvel --kind of innocent, lots of dopey cartoon friends, and he holds up his ring and is hit by thunder.  An M.O. that was also ripped off by He-Man (one part Kirby's New Gods, one part Shazam).

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 03:03:02 PM »

That little centaur and satyr must be the most annoying characters in the history of animation!

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 03:23:28 PM »

What a great find; I never knew this cartoon existed. Boy, I am going to have to agree. Hercules' design looks exactly like TAS Superman. It's frightening.

Telle, I always figured Captain Marvel was similar to Young Samson.

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 07:04:05 PM »

He looks just like the modern cartoon version of Superman. The animation is really bad, they barely move.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 07:25:11 AM »

What a great find; I never knew this cartoon existed. Boy, I am going to have to agree. Hercules' design looks exactly like TAS Superman. It's frightening.

I Need Samson Power!

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Shazam!
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 04:31:10 PM »

Well I do have their powers!  And Holy Moley! Isn't that little centaur guy from a box of "Lucky Charms" breakfast cerial?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 04:34:59 PM by Shazam! » Logged

The Real Captain Marvel!
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 07:06:01 PM »

I seem to remember back when STAS was starting, it was pointed out that these Herc cartoons heavily influenced the Superman character design.  But now I can't remember if it was other people pointing it out, or Timm himself.

Anyway, it's a hoot to see this cheapo animation.  Notice how long the bad guy (off camera) holds the mask to the camera, then holds it over his head with his back turned, and finally turns around...AFTER the thing's on his head.  So we're 30+ seconds in without having to show the guy's mouth moving even once.  Genius.

But waitaminnit.  Did Hercules live on Mt Olympus?  I thought as a demi-god he was a resident of terra firma.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 07:07:39 PM by nightwing » Logged

This looks like a job for...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L