superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonThe ADVENTURES of SUPERBOY!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:21:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Thor Bulletproof?  (Read 7019 times)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« on: May 31, 2007, 07:23:06 AM »

Struck by Nightwing's (I think?) comment about about how no-one says "Who do you think you are, Thor?" I got to wondering, is Thor bulletproof? 

Is the Avengers' Wonder Man? (non-dead version)

I don't imagine Thor's clothes/costume are made of unstable molecules.  They are magically made.  The Hulk traditionally had pants that tore.  Who else in the Marvelverse had a costume that wasn't unstable molecules?  Luke Cage?  He's bulletproof, no?

Could Thor survive in the sun?  At the Earth's core?  Does he bleed?

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 02:29:38 PM »

Thor isn't bulletproof. That's why he swings Mjolnir around to block bullets, missiles and laser beams, and why, during the Roger Stern eighties run on AVENGERS, he was wearing that cool semi-historical Viking armor.

Thor was actually once shot in the head between the eyes in an issue of the Chris Priest BLACK PANTHER, however, the bullet bounced off the skull.

Obviously Thor is tough and his flesh is resilient and heals quickly - he had the indignity of a building dropped on him during the first great Thor/Hercules battle, and he's taken punches from guys like the Hulk and the Destroyer armor.

Thor is not totally indestructible, however. During Thor's quest for the Norn stones after "Trial of the Gods," he couldn't get one of the Norn stones, because it was placed on top of North Vietnamese artillery shells. If the wall of shells drew fire and exploded, Thor remarked it would be unlikely he'd survive.

And yes, Asgardians do have something like blood. During the Alan Zelenetz MIGHTY THOR (he was the guy that came right before Simonson), Dracula drained Lady Sif. And Thor can bleed. Remember Thor's wounded, shirtless torso in the "Ultron, we will have words with thee" scene in "Ultron Unlimited?"

The trouble with Thor is that there have been exceptions. By far the most obnoxious is one story that has him very comfortable inside the sun (!). This is the Mighty Thor equivalent of those issues of Superboy where he communicates with Krypto using "telepathy."

As for Wonder Man...yeah, his Ionic-energy powered bod is indestructible and bulletproof. Incidentally, he's very much alive: he was recently used in an issue of Dan Slott's AVENGERS: THE INITIATIVE.

What death would even MEAN to a being of energy like Simon is unclear at this point. Because of his energy composition he's come back from the dead TWICE - as has his fellow Ionic-energy user, Count Nefaria. The way Nefaria was brought back was especially cool: when his body was re-energized, he returned as an Ionic-energy sucking vampire, capturing ionic guys like Wonder Man and Atlas from THUNDERBOLTS.

As for the question of who else in the MU didn't wear clothes of unstable molecules...

Spider-Man doesn't wear unstable molecules...mostly so we can get scenes of him sewing and pricking his finger.

Ditto for Doc Strange, whose vestments have magical significance (especially his Cloak of Levitation and the Amulet of Agamotto).

Don't quote me on this, but I seem to remember that the Power Pack had costumes made of alien materials.they got from that horse-headed race, which they could don and remove with "Costume On!" and "Costume Off!"
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 02:36:09 PM by JulianPerez » Logged

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 08:34:27 PM »

For an amusing list of Thor's superfeats, check out:

http://www.comixfan.com/xfan/forums/archive/index.php/t-36947.html

Thor and Wonder Woman have the same issue...  a protective gimmick that looks cool on paper but seems silly in light of how powerful they've become. 

Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 12:37:21 AM »

Thor is definitely bulletproof. Why do I say that? I have at least one comic where he fights the Hulk toe-to-toe, and if he can shrug off punches from the Hulk, a bullet is a joke to him.

Anyone who has the density of flesh and sinew to twist steel and lift up cars and smash through the walls of buildings MUST be super-tough. You couldn't have THAT strength and still have flesh and skin like normal human beings do. You'd rip yourself to pieces the first time you tried to use your super-strength.

As for Wonder Woman, she is NOT bulletproof. Why do I say that? Because I still like to think she would be soft and delicate and feminine to the touch.  Grin

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 01:03:52 AM »

I got to wondering, is Thor bulletproof?

Do fish have lips?

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
DoctorZero
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 12:49:27 PM »

Originally I don't believe that Thor was Bulletproof.  However, over time (like Superman) he became more and more powerful, becoming bulletproof. 

If you want a logical explaination, at first the Don Blake personality was dominant.  Blake believed he wasn't bulletproof, and used his hammer to protect himself from bullets.  Once the Thor personal took control, he didn't worry that much about "mere" bullets.

miceland
Superman's Pal

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 07:21:50 PM »

Reminds me of a discussion I had about Thor flying.

Can Thor fly? Yes.
He uses his hammer to fly.
Can he fly without the hammer?
No, without the hammer he is not Thor. Therefore he cannot fly.

*Sigh*
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 10:13:52 PM »

Of course, in Norse mythology, he flies around in a carriage pulled by two goats; they do the flying. He's also got iron gloves and stuff, a bit like Tony Stark, so chances are bullets aren't going to faze him.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L