superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:54:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how many times has Kal-El met Jor-El  (Read 10271 times)
jimmy-neutron
Supermen of America

« on: May 31, 2007, 06:35:59 PM »

A question in a similiar vein to that asked by carmelo, "The many times that Clark said goodby to Superman."

How many times has Kal-El met Jor-El?

I think there are some (or at least one) stories where Superman was in the phantom zone, because he was just there as an observer and it could be argued that he didn't actually meet him.

I use Kal-El rather than Superman because I am pretty sure that Superboy met Jor-El when he was a boy (a story I think when Jor-El was using some device to stretch time because he was revising for an exam, which them accidentally propelled him to the future and Smallville).
carmine
Superman Family

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 02:15:39 AM »

Well he was at his parents wedding. I dont remember the issue though.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 02:57:51 AM »

here is the 1st time:
http://superman.nu/tales3/return0/

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
jimmy-neutron
Supermen of America

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 03:32:15 PM »

I'm not sure if the story of Superboy meeting Jor-El is:
"The Kid From Krypton (#242, November 1957). Writer: Otto Binder. Art: Curt Swan."

Seems a bit early for me
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 12:55:17 AM »

I'm not sure if the story of Superboy meeting Jor-El is:
"The Kid From Krypton (#242, November 1957). Writer: Otto Binder. Art: Curt Swan."

Seems a bit early for me

not even close, The one linked above is from Superman #61 1949 by Bill Finger and Al Plastino

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 06:55:02 AM »

In terms of Superman actually meeting Jor-El, though, I sort of assume that "Superman's Return to Krypton" (1960) is their only real canonical encounter. It was referred to again in an issue of World of Krypton, in which the events are seen from Jor-El's point of view.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
jimmy-neutron
Supermen of America

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 09:05:40 PM »

Two points:

1) Realise that Superman #61 1949 by Bill Finger and Al Plastino  is the first actual story linking Superman to Krypton (thanks for that reference). My comment was about when SuperBOY first met Jor-El.  [Not even sure if my quoted reference is the story I am thinking of.]

In terms of Superman actually meeting Jor-El, though, I sort of assume that "Superman's Return to Krypton" (1960) is their only real canonical encounter. It was referred to again in an issue of World of Krypton, in which the events are seen from Jor-El's point of view.

2) Of course, the point raised by Permanus is valid and I suppose gets to the crux of the matter of what is regarded as canonical and what isn't. As far as I recall, the meeting of Superboy with Jor-El (as a boy) does not contradict "Superman's Return to Krypton" (as this is written fro Jor-El's perspective)? In the story I am thinking of, there was a neat twist in where Superboy gives (the boy) Jor-El a box which turned out to contain Red_K (as evidence of Krypton's fate?) that had the effect of blanking Jor-El's memory.

Jimmy
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 10:17:51 PM »

Blimey, I'd forgotten all that. Nevertheless, that still puts us at a maximum of two meetings that count. It's not like Jor-El and Superman could get together regularly, and what about Lara, eh? For some reason, she always gets the short end of the stick. Superman had a mother, dammit, and he must miss her like nobody's business. The world needs more Lara stories.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L