superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GETTING AFFAIRS IN ORDER!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:52:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Redrawing Superman History  (Read 5945 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« on: June 02, 2007, 01:07:02 AM »

Enjoy!

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2007/05/31/comic-book-urban-legends-revealed-105/

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 08:32:57 PM »

While I have no love for Plastino, the most traditional and dull of the Superman artists...I can understand DC's thinking on the redrawing of the Superman faces.

I mean, holy cow, did you SEE Kirby's Superman face?

He looked like the a 48 year old love child of George Clooney and a balding Neanderthal.

And of COURSE Jolly Jack would get bitchy about the faces being redrawn. It points out one of his weaknesses when he both pencils and inks his work (as opposed to being paired with someone like Joe Sinnott), which is his weird, ultra-stylized craggy faces.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
carmine
Superman Family

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 01:14:38 AM »

Call me crazy but I liked that Superman's face didn't match up with the rest of the art in the book. Kirby's Jimmy Olsen was so weird already (those black and white photos??? crazy hippie bikers!?!?Huh? GOODY RICKLES!!!?Huh??)

this just added to the overall craziness. (which I enjoyed)
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 07:23:51 PM »

With due respect to the King, whose work could be brilliant, there is no freaking way I would have picked up a Jimmy Olsen comic as a kid without the "cosmetic surgery" provided by Anderson and Plastino.  Kirby's faces, like everything else he drew, got more and more stylized over time and by the 70s they were barely recognizable as human.  This is the main reason I avoided his "Captain America" and other 70s work like the proverbial plague.

Similarly, while I'm a big Toth fan, his original art on that SuperFriends cover makes Supes look like a complete doofus.  The small cranium, huge jaw and open mouth just say "Duhhhh......" to me.  I'm betting in this case it's not so much that he's "off model" as that the picture is just not at all flattering to Big Blue.

This looks like a job for...
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 11:31:57 PM »

Anyone else notice Kirby's tic of drawing eyebrows sort of arched and squiggly? Maybe it's just me, but I tend to notice people's eyebrows, and it's amazing what diversity they can achieve: some are straight, some are triangular, some are bushy, some are just a continuous slash across the forehead, and that's just off the top of my head. Not so in Kirby - all his eyebrows look like little serif-adorned black bolts of lightning above someone's eyes. I'm not trying to belittle his talent, which was more than considerable, but faces weren't really his forte.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 12:26:31 AM »

While I have no love for Plastino, the most traditional and dull of the Superman artists...I can understand DC's thinking on the redrawing of the Superman faces.

Al Plastino is underated. He never set the world on fire, but he never offended. Kind of hard to feel one way or another for good old Al, to be honest.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 02:04:38 AM »

Plastino was fine, often he could imitate the huge barrel torsos of Wayne Boring that were very distinctive, almost as distinctive as Kirby drawing Supes looking almost exactly like the Guardian...
Criadoman
Superman Family

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 03:40:31 AM »

Plastino was one of my absolutely favorite Silver age Superman artists.  It was actually his renditions of Swan's Superman that got me interested in learning who drew Superman.  Unfortunately his art left a lot to be desired in the Wedding Album, but God knows why that happened.  It was terrible to see such his art applied to Super-fabio.  On more than one occassion however, I thought he aped Swan better than Swan.

"If I print "She was stark naked"--& then proceeded to describe her person in detail, what critic would not howl?--but the artist does this & all ages gather around & look & talk & point." - Mark Twain
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L