superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:25:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What if Lori Lemaris got the power of Shazam?  (Read 27515 times)
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2007, 03:21:15 PM »

Lori Lemaris with the power of SHAZAM! What is her magic word?   Wink

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2007, 03:43:04 PM »

S - Power of Shark
H - H2o the purity of Water!
A - Atlantis ... Island of Atlas
Z - Zeus - since you know you still need those magic bolts and all
A - is for apple
M - is for hummm ...ermm... Holy Mackerel!

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2007, 06:53:04 PM »

While dialed into a mind-numbing conference call and deciding that the boards were a nice diversion, the relatively bad grammar of the recent thread:

"What if Superman had lose with Captain Marvel?"

led my warped mind to "who in the Superman mythos would be interesting with the power of Shazam".  Jimmy, Lois, and Lana get powers way too often, so I was thinking Perry White (power word: "Great Caesar's Ghost!"), Steve Lombard (who doesn't interact with Superman enough, and looks like the actors who played him in the '70s), then (you guessed it) Lori Lemaris. 
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2007, 08:05:43 AM »

That is a good point.

You are from Australia (I think), where were your ancestors from? Would you want to leave and live there or maybe it is better to just have a short vacation there like Lori Lemaris does?

Good question. It would be more difficult for me to answer than Lori Lemaris because she would have to choose between life on land or life underwater! (There are no grey areas.) A big chunk of my ancestry is English, and when I first went to Europe I was struck by how at home I felt in London right away. Yes, I could live there, but I am a native of New Zealand living in Australia, and how different are those places from Britain anyway? Not a lot, really, if you boil it down. I do have the ancestry necessary to live and work in the UK indefinitely, but I'm betting I'll always call the antipodes home, good reasons being the air and the space and the sunshine, which I would miss. Yes, I could live in England or Scotland no problem, however, so part of me belongs there.

I'm not sure if I answered your question decisively... If I sound ambivalent, it's because I am.

I am always fascinated by where people's ancestors are from (or even where they are from if immigrants), and how they feel about the old country as opposed to the new.
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2007, 11:32:01 PM »

Actually, this might be an interesting way to have brought Captain Marvel onto Earth-1 in the 1970s or so: have a supporting cast member of an existing superhero become Captain Marvel. Hey, it worked for Rick Jones!

As for the question...my understanding is that the human being is the "bottle" for Captain Marvel, so anyone struck by Marvel's lightning would become the dark-haired, very male Cap we all know...which is weird, but no less weird than a little kid becoming an adult hero.

Also: she'd have to go to the surface before saying the magic word or else the lightning would go everywhere.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007, 08:49:45 AM »

Actually, this might be an interesting way to have brought Captain Marvel onto Earth-1 in the 1970s or so: have a supporting cast member of an existing superhero become Captain Marvel. Hey, it worked for Rick Jones!

Snapper Carr! He turns into Captain Marvel when he snaps his fingers!

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2007, 02:17:51 PM »

There you go... bringing the Marvel Universe into it again... AND referring to their Captain Mar-vell!
;-P

As for the question...my understanding is that the human being is the "bottle" for Captain Marvel, so anyone struck by Marvel's lightning would become the dark-haired, very male Cap we all know...which is weird, but no less weird than a little kid becoming an adult hero. 
According to Ordway's TPOS series (which had it's good moments), the power of Shazam gives Billy (or Mary or Freddie) super powers and they become an idealized version of themselves, either consciously or subconsciously.  That's why Mary doesn't become "the dark-haired, very male Cap we all know" and Freddie still looks like himself as Junior.

There was also an issue of Shazam! back in the '70's where Billy wore a turban with a jewel in it and that jewel deflected his lightning so it struck, among others, Mr Morris and a chimp.  They also didn't become "the dark-haired, very male Cap we all know".

BUT you get an A for effort and a cool spin on it!
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2007, 07:38:23 PM »

Quote from: davidelliot
There was also an issue of Shazam! back in the '70's where Billy wore a turban with a jewel in it and that jewel deflected his lightning so it struck, among others, Mr Morris and a chimp.  They also didn't become "the dark-haired, very male Cap we all know".

I seem to recall an issue in a 1940s collection where someone else was accidentally struck by the lightning bolt and THEY, not Billy, became Captain Marvel...but this may be the issue equivalent of that comic where Thor survives inside the sun, or Superboy and Krypto use “telepathy” on each other.

Quote from: ”davidelliot”
According to Ordway's TPOS series (which had it's good moments), the power of Shazam gives Billy (or Mary or Freddie) super powers and they become an idealized version of themselves, either consciously or subconsciously.  That's why Mary doesn't become "the dark-haired, very male Cap we all know" and Freddie still looks like himself as Junior.

An interesting concept, but if people turn into idealized versions of themselves, why would Mary Marvel turn into a teenager instead of a woman?

And though I’m not generally a fan of the SHAZAM! guys, Ordway is an incredibly gifted artist, and the whole series had a wonderful sense of humor. My favorite part was this interaction:

CAPTAIN MARVEL: “Why...you’d have to be thousands of years old!”

BLACK ADAM: “Yeah...and how old are YOU?”

Or “You betrayed the wizard Shaz…uh, you know his name!”

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L