superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonComing MIRACLE MONDAY 2017!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE AUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:52:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Poll
Question: Karma: Take it or leave it?
Keep the Karma feature turned on - 4 (26.7%)
Turn it back off - 11 (73.3%)
Total Voters: 15

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Instant Karma?  (Read 53705 times)
jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« on: June 09, 2007, 05:18:24 AM »

maybe it's been there for a while, but I just noticed....what's this karma rating?
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 08:06:00 AM »

Forgive me, but I only just noticed "karma: 0" beside my name and picture.

Please explain.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 02:48:37 PM »

I have no idea. Huh?

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 04:43:29 PM »

It looks like a software feature that Rao turned on, I've seen it on other forums.  Users can click on plus or minus and raise or lower other users' "karma".  It usually turns into a contest of raising or lowering folks' numbers based on whether you agree with them or not.  Personally, I'd rather the posts just stand for themselves, its all just opinion anyways.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 05:51:57 PM »

I've added a poll at the top of this thread to see what the overall feelings are about karma.  If you're not sure, I suggest waiting a while before voting - and you can also change your vote if you change your mind.

Yes, this is an option in the forum software which I just turned on.  Currently, only members with at least 100 posts can effect other's karmas.  You can effect another member's karma once per hour.  This is configurable, it could be once per day, once per minute, etc.

I don't see karma as being used for posts you agree with or disagree with, but for whether or not someone is a constructive contributer to the forum.  ie, if someone posts really good posts, s/he would get karma points for it.

But ultimately, how - or even whether - karma gets used is up to you guys.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 06:36:04 PM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 06:52:47 PM »

Seems reasonable, I've just seen it abused on other forums, but those had many members and were often political in nature.  Aside from a very few users over the years, I find this place full of people who post interesting ideas whether I agree with them on the quality of Bronze Age writing, comics philosophy, or how good Superboy was in the 80s or not.. Cool
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 07:10:06 PM »

OK, I say keep it for now as an experiment.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 11:43:29 PM »

Esteemed moderator, as I distinctly remember starting this thread, and giving it the name "Instant Karma?", how did jamespup become the thread starter and make a posting that's ahead of mine?

Huh?

A neat trick.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L