superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonStrange Visitor!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:39:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Poll
Question: Karma: Take it or leave it?
Keep the Karma feature turned on - 4 (26.7%)
Turn it back off - 11 (73.3%)
Total Voters: 15

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Instant Karma?  (Read 53892 times)
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2007, 01:00:05 PM »

Don't really see the point of this myself, but there's a certain entertainment value in trying to bring Julian's score to positive figures.

LOL.  Good luck with that; I'm betting Julian will make it his life's mission to drive the numbers in the opposite direction, just out of spite.

"Karma" is a pretty hippy-dippy notion to me, so to stay in the vernacular, I'll say I don't get a "good vibe" from the feature.  To me it smacks of high school cliques, and other exclusionary groups.  I'd like to think people here have the freedom to say what they like, without worrying about being ostracized, or trying to curry favor by going along with the crowd.

Besides, why make it easy for new members to spot Julian as a crackpot right off the bat?  The rest of us had to figure it out the hard way. Cheesy

This looks like a job for...
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2007, 11:53:00 PM »

Most of us are far too old to be in high school Tongue

I wouldn't take this feature too seriously.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2007, 08:27:54 AM »

I'm playing a DEADLY GAME OF CAT AND MOUSE with someone: I got Julian up to zero with some patience yesterday, but he was back to minus one this morning. It's like playing The Sims or something.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Superman Forever
Superman Family

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2007, 02:48:35 PM »

I like the "Mean Girls" movie a lot. 
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2007, 04:35:13 PM »

I'm playing a DEADLY GAME OF CAT AND MOUSE with someone: I got Julian up to zero with some patience yesterday, but he was back to minus one this morning. It's like playing The Sims or something.

Not saying it's me but no one deserves negative karma. Cry

If this was the 1960s and there were LOC still in funny books, old JP would be a Guy Lillian III or Irene Vartanoff and be scoring Flash art for his letters from editor Julie Schwartz. Wink

MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2007, 05:18:50 PM »

Not saying it's me but no one deserves negative karma. Cry

If this was the 1960s and there were LOC still in funny books, old JP would be a Guy Lillian III or Irene Vartanoff and be scoring Flash art for his letters from editor Julie Schwartz. Wink

LOL... Cool

True enough...out of 1,000+ posts, I have agreed with a good 3 or 4 that JP has posted, but the guy definitely gets some discussion going here.

Still not digging the karma system...  Wink
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2007, 04:08:41 PM »

I hate to admit this, but I'm rather starting to enjoy this in a disconnected sort of way. I've grown a bit tired of distributing karma points myself (I only ever give plus ones, not for any particular reason, more like a Hare Krishna giving you a flower just for being alive), but I can't help looking at people's scores. MatterEaterLad has an astounding 14! He must be a very nice person. Nightwing has 13 because he is stern and venerable. Rao has 11! Actually, you'd think he should have more than anyone. I myself now weigh in at a respectable 9, which I feel reflects my eagerness to please, general inoffensiveness and bonhommie and joie de vivre and all that sort of thing.

Brought Julian back to 0 this morning. It's like trying to save a cat from drowning.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2007, 06:21:14 PM »

Nightwing has 13 because he is stern and venerable.

Wow, live long enough and people call you all kinds of things!  Cheesy  I think I should feel flattered, but instead I just feel old.  "Stern" sure beats "curmudgeonly," but no matter how you slice it, "venerable" makes me sound like that wizened old teacher in "Kung-Fu," telling Grasshopper to snatch the pebble from my hand.

Actually, that reference alone probably confirms my advanced years, doesn't it? Sigh...

Anyway, I retract my objections to the points system.  If I'd known I'd end up in the "popular" crowd, I'd never have made a stink.  You like me! You really like me!

(Aaaaaaaaand the points begin to tick to the negative...)

This looks like a job for...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L