superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:00:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Poll
Question: Karma: Take it or leave it?
Keep the Karma feature turned on - 4 (26.7%)
Turn it back off - 11 (73.3%)
Total Voters: 15

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Instant Karma?  (Read 53900 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2007, 06:35:01 PM »

Nightwing has 13 because he is stern and venerable.

Wow, live long enough and people call you all kinds of things!  Cheesy  I think I should feel flattered, but instead I just feel old.  "Stern" sure beats "curmudgeonly,"

don't get too excited he only wrote "stern" since "curmudgeonly" was too hard to spell. Wink

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2007, 07:28:12 PM »

If this was the 1960s and there were LOC still in funny books, old JP would be a Guy Lillian III or Irene Vartanoff and be scoring Flash art for his letters from editor Julie Schwartz. Wink

Bless you, Klar. Being compared to a cool cat like Guy is the best compliment I've ever gotten as a fan. My brother met Guy at a science fiction convention and described him as a cool, weird guy, like a real-life nutty neighbor.

Irene Vartanoff actually does exist, despite speculation to the contrary in BRAVE AND THE BOLD lettercols. She's all over the comics I truly love in life: she did colorist work for my all-time favorite issue of the Gerber-era DEFENDERS, which has a crossover between the Defenders and the Guardians of the Galaxy (and is the first mention of Starhawk as well as Killraven in the Guardians' timeline). I squealed with delight when I saw a flashback to this story in the recent PARADISE X. She also was the colorist on varied issues of SUPER-VILLAIN TEAM-UP (another favorite).

She also was in charge of cataloguing Jack Kirby's art around the time it hit the fan, if I remember right.

It's a shame she never went pro the way fellow letterhacks Marty Pasko and Bob Rozakis eventually did, but at the same time...it's not hard to go from editor to writer (the way Mark Waid did) but I've never heard of many colorists becoming a writer or artist. The only one I can think of is Bill Mantlo (he did the coloring on the Englehart-era AVENGERS).

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2007, 10:03:55 PM »

don't get too excited he only wrote "stern" since "curmudgeonly" was too hard to spell. Wink

I do know how to spell cur... curdgeomnonly!

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2007, 10:28:19 PM »

"Stern" sure beats "curmudgeonly," but no matter how you slice it, "venerable" makes me sound like that wizened old teacher in "Kung-Fu," telling Grasshopper to snatch the pebble from my hand.

It's the avatar. Come on, take a look at your avatar. Nobody's going to argue with that. It's stern.

Other than that, I'm hip to the Kung-Fu reference, Daddy-O!

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2007, 12:42:53 AM »

I have no idea why I have 14 karma points, I'm the only one here who dislikes the Bronze Age and really sees a distinction between it and the Silver Age.  Cool

On the plus side, I don't really care if anyone agrees with me, LOL... Cheesy
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2007, 01:07:12 AM »

My poor misguided children, you do not have "negative karma" until Great Rao says he does not like your posts and will not read them anymore.

Quote from: JulianPerez
Irene Vartanoff actually does exist, despite speculation to the contrary in BRAVE AND THE BOLD lettercols. She's all over the comics I truly love in life: she did colorist work for my all-time favorite issue of the Gerber-era DEFENDERS, which has a crossover between the Defenders and the Guardians of the Galaxy (and is the first mention of Starhawk as well as Killraven in the Guardians' timeline). I squealed with delight when I saw a flashback to this story in the recent PARADISE X. She also was the colorist on varied issues of SUPER-VILLAIN TEAM-UP (another favorite).

She did the plotting for my favourite Lois Lane comic (which also has my favourite Lois Lane cover), "Who Killed Lucy Lane?" from the early 70s.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2007, 02:32:04 AM »

Anyway, I retract my objections to the points system.  If I'd known I'd end up in the "popular" crowd, I'd never have made a stink.

I'd still like to get a feel for how the whole Karma thing is playing out.

So if anyone voted in the poll but have since changed your opinion, either one way or the other, please change your vote in the poll.  Just click on "remove vote" and go from there.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 02:46:21 AM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Criadoman
Superman Family

« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2007, 04:28:05 AM »

I say keep it up.  I appear to be somewhere in the cool guy club - but looks like the more I post, the more I lose the status (gee wonder why, ha ha - actually, not "ha ha").

"If I print "She was stark naked"--& then proceeded to describe her person in detail, what critic would not howl?--but the artist does this & all ages gather around & look & talk & point." - Mark Twain
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L