superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonBatman!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:30:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The greatest Mr. Mxyzptlk tales  (Read 13287 times)
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 06:46:08 AM »

Not that it mattered, because nobody ever learned Bat-Mite's real name...

I'm thinking maybe it was Etim-Tab.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
carmine
Superman Family

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2007, 01:49:07 AM »

Anyone read "the worlds funnest" featuring Batmite and Mr.Myx fighting each other??? Now, that was a good comic!!!

I prefer Mr.Myx as just bothering Supes basically because he's bored.
Criadoman
Superman Family

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2007, 01:19:12 AM »

I personally think the best Mxy tale is actually - his 1st appearance way back in the Golden Age, basically redone in S:TAS.  It was classic and quintessential Superman/Mxy and the dynamic never evolved since then - so perfect it was. 

Mxy's appearances were some of the few times you'd see Superman books take on Captain Marvel book qualities of humor and fantastic events.

"If I print "She was stark naked"--& then proceeded to describe her person in detail, what critic would not howl?--but the artist does this & all ages gather around & look & talk & point." - Mark Twain
Superman Forever
Superman Family

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2007, 04:59:15 AM »

The Krisis of Krinson Kryptonite, by Jurgens and Ordway, his appearence in Superman: The Animated Series, by Paul Dini and in recent Adventures of Superman, by Greg Rucka, are all good tales of Mr. Mxyzptlk in Post-Crisis DC Universe. Talking about another similar character, I just love the introduction of Impossible Man in the first Essential Fastastic Four by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby. Great understanding of the core character and how to defeat him. Really brilliant.     
Criadoman
Superman Family

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2007, 02:00:55 PM »

Byrne made them both the same character during his run.

"If I print "She was stark naked"--& then proceeded to describe her person in detail, what critic would not howl?--but the artist does this & all ages gather around & look & talk & point." - Mark Twain
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2007, 08:30:18 AM »

The Capt Marvel comparison is spot on: they share not just the magic word gimmick but the plot device of tricking the evil character (a la Rumpelstiltskin) into saying the word, as Uncle Dudley did to Black Adam repeatedly.

I like the Miss Gzptlsnz stories in Jimmy Olsen.  Mxy's nagging girlfriend is a perfect parallel to the treatment of Lois in the Silver Age and her pursuit of Jimmy was a perfect example of the parallels built into the biographies of all members of the Superman Family (ie, Superman gets Mxy and Jimmy gets Miss Gzptlsnz).  I'm sure given enough time a prankster sprite would have been made a regular in Lois Lane --maybe a good-looking sorceress who made life miserable for Lois while pursuing Superman (and I don't mean Lana).

Giving Mxy motivation and subplots is certainly by-the-book 70s Marvelization tactics but I don't think those stories would be my fave.  Although I would prefer a more philosophical, less trigger happy/bufoonish Mxy.  But then what would his weakness be?  Women?  Pride?

And Mxy probably doesn't have bad fashion sense compared to the rest of his countrymen.

(And why doesn't Superman fly to get Wonder Woman every time Mxy shows up???)

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2007, 05:36:48 AM »

Not that it mattered, because nobody ever learned Bat-Mite's real name...
I'm thinking maybe it was Etim-Tab.
Larry from the Teen Titans cartoon told me that Bat-Mite's real name was  Enyaw Ecurb.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 05:43:45 AM by Uncle Mxy » Logged
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2007, 08:45:55 AM »

Of course!

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L