superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "SONG OF THE EARTH!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:04:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The greatest Mr. Mxyzptlk tales  (Read 13277 times)
Criadoman
Superman Family

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2007, 03:50:34 AM »

I like the Miss Gzptlsnz stories in Jimmy Olsen.  Mxy's nagging girlfriend is a perfect parallel to the treatment of Lois in the Silver Age and her pursuit of Jimmy was a perfect example of the parallels built into the biographies of all members of the Superman Family (ie, Superman gets Mxy and Jimmy gets Miss Gzptlsnz).  I'm sure given enough time a prankster sprite would have been made a regular in Lois Lane --maybe a good-looking sorceress who made life miserable for Lois while pursuing Superman (and I don't mean Lana).

I got a real kick out of Mrs. in the Animated Series.  It made total sense for her to be a babe than a little female Mxy.  Neat!!!

(By the way, Larry the Robi-mite's real name is Drahcir Nosyarg.)

"If I print "She was stark naked"--& then proceeded to describe her person in detail, what critic would not howl?--but the artist does this & all ages gather around & look & talk & point." - Mark Twain
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2007, 11:36:14 AM »

Sounds more like a mash-up with the story Julian referred to.  I will look for it in reruns 10 years from now...

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
AMAZO
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2007, 05:22:57 PM »

What I always liked about Mxyzptlk stories is the idea that Superman is completely overpowered by Mxy and must rely on his wits alone. Mxy's powers are as far beyond Superman's as I suppose hi are beyond say a mugger or burglar.

A GENIUS IN INTELLECT-
A HERCULES IN STRENGTH
A NEMESIS TO WRONG-DOERS-
The SUPERMAN!
binarysunrise
Superman Family

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2007, 06:43:01 PM »

I loved seeing in some recent comic where some alien picked up a little purple bowler hat with some perpelxing statement like "he was afraid of this?" Showing how just the hat can be symbollic of a being with ultimate power...

The Speeding Bullet
   http://www.thespeedingbullet.com
--an archive of Superman newspaper strips--
Vic George 2K6
Superman's Pal

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2007, 01:12:11 AM »

My favorite Mxyzptlk tale is a post-CRISIS story where he turns Superman and reality into an animated cartoon form and assaults him with various cartoon analogs of Fred Flintstone, Mighty Mouse, the Smurfs, and some sea serpent that I don't remember its actual name.

VIC GEORGE, Westfield, MA, USA
jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2007, 04:24:49 AM »

Overall, Emperor Joker

Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2007, 05:07:11 PM »

My favorite Mxyzptlk tale is a post-CRISIS story where he turns Superman and reality into an animated cartoon form and assaults him with various cartoon analogs of Fred Flintstone, Mighty Mouse, the Smurfs, and some sea serpent that I don't remember its actual name.

Cecil the Sea-Sick Sea Serpent, perhaps?

Off on a tangent: wonder what it must've been like to see Mighty Mouse or other superhero cartoons on Earth-1 before Superboy came along; guessing the animators must've thought that a character who could fly and had vast strength was "just a silly cartoonish idea that could never actually happen". For that matter, would love to see what Superman thinks of such superhero cartoons like Mighty Mouse, Underdog, Atom Ant, etc...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 05:10:53 PM by Johnny Nevada » Logged

Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2007, 10:07:43 PM »

For that matter, would love to see what Superman thinks of such superhero cartoons like Mighty Mouse, Underdog, Atom Ant, etc...

Haha! Nice idea! I wonder if he thinks of them as a sort of insult to the superhero community or something. "Actually, we prefer the term 'differently-abled persons', and we do feel that Mighty Mouse belittles our struggle to conform to society. The very fact that differently-abled persons are equated with mice or other animals is in itself a demeaning and insulting aspect of these cartoons."

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L