superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonThe ADVENTURES of SUPERBOY!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:06:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mark Waid Returns to the Flash...  (Read 7568 times)
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 02:11:52 AM »

Just to add an oddball comment from Dan Didio at the con:

Will any Vertigo characters like Swamp Thing or Constantine appear in the DCU[?] DiDio said that he didn't want any mature reader books to cross over, because of the all-ages nature of the DCU's audience.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!! Oh man, it's hilarious when the head honcho doesn't even bother to read his own company's books.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 02:22:33 AM »

Of course Flash would be better with Mark Waid, but then again it'd be better canceled, too.

You're in luck Julian, DC is doing both.  They must be listening to you.

In the age of Internet rumors and spoilers, somehow DC kept a lid on this one until today's announcement. And although Newsarama caught up with Waid to talk about his work on the series, he isn't saying much about the story, won't tell us anything about what is going to happen between now and the beginning of his run, and can't even confirm which Flash he's writing about.

I wonder if Waid isn't saying anything because he doesn't want to leak spoilers, or if he actually hasn't had a chance to write anything yet.  Like, maybe he found out about this around the same time as the rest of us.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 02:25:09 AM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 09:16:26 PM »

Spoilers for Flash #13 and JLA #10:
Bart is killed by the Rouges and Wally and his family return.
Superman Forever
Superman Family

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 09:53:48 PM »

About Dan Didio, from Lying in the Gutters:

Of late, there has been some, possibly mindless, speculation from DC people and those with DC connections, that Dan DiDio, Senior Vice President - Executive Editor, DC Universe will depart from DC shortly.

The gossip tide was firstly that DiDio is meant to be blamed for an underperforming "One Year Later" and there has been some, quite expected, criticism of his heavy handed approach to the creative nuts and bolts. Secondly, that DiDio's nickname has, reportedly, changed from "Shooter" to "Jemas." And thirdly that the "Countdown" series had been passed to Mike Carlin to oversee, an experienced industry man who many thought had seen his time pass at DC in favour of DiDio's approach.

However, I mention it now because the gossip tide seems to have turned, with something behind it. Not only has Dan reupped his DC contract, but the promotion of Jann Jones to Contributing Editor has yielded results. Described by some as basically running the DCU, her title belies her extensive role in idea creation, management and hiring and the results of their work on the DCU are starting to show. "The Dan And Jann Show" is the way it's been described to me and certainly a force to be reckoned with.

But could Mark Waid be a new factor? We've heard how he's writing "Flash," but I hear he may be talking to DC about a more extensive editorial director/writer position, possibly something akin to what he once had at Marvel Comics.

It certainly makes for interesting times.

Letīs hope itīs true about Mark Waid in a biggest position in DC Comics.

Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2007, 04:14:05 AM »

A few things I'd like to add:

1) As usual, Geoff Johns did right in many places what Waid did wrong. Impulse, for instance, once a hyperactive and annoying stereotype that reeked of insincerity, started to behave in a mature fashoin in Johns's TEEN TITANS. I can't believe I actually said that: I actually like Bart Allen now.

You seem to like ripping on people who love Waid or Morrison no matter what yet you place Johns on a rather high pedestal yourself. As for Bart, his "hyperactivity" was part of the point of the character. His origin I admit is the weakest aspect of the whole idea. It's just totally convoluted. But Bart himself, with impulsive personality intact, works! He could've been matured orgainically and with alot more class than the usual angst fodder BS Johns employed.

Your boy in his oh-so superior wisdom bled every last ounce of fun and charm out of the character to the point where any joy there was to be had in him becoming The Flash was obliterated before it even started. The character became totally and utterly unrecognizable. By the point they half-heartedly tossed him into the red suit he was Bart Allen in name only. Just yet another angst ridden comicbook youth which are a dime a dozen at this point.

2) You might think, considering the low opinion I have of Waid's FLASH, that I'm depressed about him returning. Not really. Here's why: how anyone, even Mark "Barry has an evil twin" Waid be WORSE than the current Flash run?

Geoff Johns could be writing it. There could be some bloated gore filled multi-part event running through the title.

Of course Flash would be better with Mark Waid, but then again it'd be better canceled, too.

If it kept the DiDio and Johns regime from doing stupid things like this to it then yeah.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2007, 09:25:18 PM »

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=118446

Wow, Wally tornadoes in right after Flash:TFMA #13! I'm definitely going to check this issue out. Karl Kerschl's pencils and that coloring really fit 21st century Flash, good show. 

Karl Kerschl's Gallery

http://www.horhaus.com/weblogs/karlgallery/

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L